It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

  • Trigger finger

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Trigger finger

    I have had trigger finger in my little finger for 3 years, however, how bad can this get? It is in the little finger and locks in the main middle jointmduring the night etc, but now I am getting pain/stiffness in the top joints (joint just below my finger nail) of my index, middle and ring finger during the night. Can this develop in such a way? I have taped my little finger at the moment as I find it too uncomfortable when I wake up in the morning.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 10-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
    gloriavcrespin
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Location: woodbridge
    Posts: 1
    gloriavcrespin HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    i too have trigger finger on my thumb though. i thought i was going crazy because i was loosing control of my thumb.. still don't know the cause

     
    Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
    Ravin835
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 96
    Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Seems like trigger finger symptoms....I had one repaired surgically, no problems afterwards. And shot of cortisone in two other fingers which got rid of it completely. It will not get better on its own, especially after 3 years. Perhaps you could see a hand specialist for help with this.

     
    Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 AM   #4
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Thanks and yes it is. I have had two shots now, and the second has made it worse. I have just bought forward my appointment for tomorrow, where he will definately offer me surgery now. It's a months wait! I have damaged it to the point now where i can do very little. The pain I can cope with, butthe tightness and inflammation when I do anything awful. I have no grip now and it feels very bad. I think I have left it too long, although waiting between injections hasn't helped.

     
    Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
    Ravin835
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 96
    Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Gemo, I know what you mean, I did the same thing, waited for years until the damage was significant. I think the tendon becomes frayed and the inflammation is chronic. The surgery was done with a local anaesthetic; I had at least a month of occupational therapy afterwards to get back strength and full range of motion. So when the next one started triggering, I got a shot right away, it hasn't come back in several years.

    Good luck, please keep us posted.

    Last edited by Ravin835; 10-21-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo

     
    Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Aww thank you, yes I will. I cannot have the surgery until beginning of December though due to other commitments. I am not sure if he can advise anything today as a stop gap.

     
    Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
    merry786
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 3
    merry786 HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Don't you know that you can get rid of this problem through the surgery, as many orthopedic surgeons are attending many of such patients daily.

     
    Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Thanks but haven't I just said that???

     
    Old 10-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Thanks, yes I previously mentioned i am having surgery, so know this is the only option now, but it is not until 8 December which is ages away. Just wondered what I can do until then as I cannot grip anything properly as it is very painful when I bend my little finger. I have opted atm to use some tape to splint my finger straight bit not sure whether this is a good idea until I have the surgery,or if it will make things worse. The surgeon didn't recommend doing anything!

     
    Old 10-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 350
    Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemo View Post
    Thanks, yes I previously mentioned i am having surgery, so know this is the only option now, but it is not until 8 December which is ages away. Just wondered what I can do until then as I cannot grip anything properly as it is very painful when I bend my little finger. I have opted atm to use some tape to splint my finger straight bit not sure whether this is a good idea until I have the surgery,or if it will make things worse. The surgeon didn't recommend doing anything!
    Gemo, what you could do, to help the pain, is to try to use some tape to splint your pinkie finger straight. If you feel relief, good, if you feel pain, remove the tape. That is what I would do. I wouldnt leave the tape on for too long, either.
    Let us know how this works & I wish you good luck for your upcoming surgery.
    Haydena.

     
    Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Many thanks for your advice. I am doing that during the day and is good advice. Since the first injection the symptoms have changed. I used to have a problem with my finger locking during the night but now it is uncomfortable and feels stiff if I use it too much during the day, ie gripping anything. It doesn't lock as such now although the overall symptoms are worse. ait also feels creaky if that makes sense and is an uncomfortable feeling which makes me feel sick! I cannot grip anything like a strimmer in the garden, or prune anything, even cutting vegetables for tea is uncomfortable now. Trigger finger seem to suggest gripping is a problem but more so the issue with your finger locking. For me this is not so the case now, it is just stiff in general but doesn't lock. December for surgery seems ages away.

     
    Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 350
    Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemo View Post
    Many thanks for your advice. I am doing that during the day and is good advice. Since the first injection the symptoms have changed. I used to have a problem with my finger locking during the night but now it is uncomfortable and feels stiff if I use it too much during the day, ie gripping anything. It doesn't lock as such now although the overall symptoms are worse. ait also feels creaky if that makes sense and is an uncomfortable feeling which makes me feel sick! I cannot grip anything like a strimmer in the garden, or prune anything, even cutting vegetables for tea is uncomfortable now. Trigger finger seem to suggest gripping is a problem but more so the issue with your finger locking. For me this is not so the case now, it is just stiff in general but doesn't lock. December for surgery seems ages away.
    I really am not sure if the following advise would help your finger, but you could try it. Immerse your entire hand in warm water, leave it there for at least 10 minutes to soften the muscles & ligaments. Remove your hand, dry it, moisturize it with any hand cream & ever so gently massage your pinkie finger with upward strokes.
    Try keeping your hand raised will also help you, as you allow the blood to run back to your heart.
    I have experienced locking fingers, all I did was wait for them to unlock. In your case it's different & I sympathize with you.
    Think of the days, after your surgery, when you will be able to work in your garden, without experiencing pain in your pinkie.
    I wish you well.
    Haydena.

     
    Old 10-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
    Lanceson
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 29
    Lanceson HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    the most common symptom is a painful clicking or snapping when bending or straightening the finger.

     
    Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
    gemo
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Posts: 45
    gemo HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Yes, I have the snapping, often when I am using my hand for maybe lifting, and boy doesn't it hurt! It hurts for a good 24 hours afterwards too. Luckily it only does it every few days. However since yesterday I have noticed pain from my little finger, into my outside of my palm and down the underside of my arm towards my elbow. It feels like the pain is radiating from my little finger. I am not sure if this is what happens with trigger finger. I am not sure how bad TF gets, as it only seems to mention about the locking, not the severeness of pain. I am taking paracetamol all the time now. Roll on Monday when I get this sorted!!!

     
    The following user gives a hug of support to gemo:
    Ravin835 (12-04-2014)
    Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 350
    Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Trigger finger

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemo View Post
    Yes, I have the snapping, often when I am using my hand for maybe lifting, and boy doesn't it hurt! It hurts for a good 24 hours afterwards too. Luckily it only does it every few days. However since yesterday I have noticed pain from my little finger, into my outside of my palm and down the underside of my arm towards my elbow. It feels like the pain is radiating from my little finger. I am not sure if this is what happens with trigger finger. I am not sure how bad TF gets, as it only seems to mention about the locking, not the severeness of pain. I am taking paracetamol all the time now. Roll on Monday when I get this sorted!!!
    Wishing you good luck for Monday. Let us know how you are doing.
    Haydena.

     
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
    gemo (12-03-2014),Ravin835 (12-04-2014)
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!