It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Are you glad you had LRTI surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User
    Are you glad you had LRTI surgery?

Hi, I'd like to hear from anyone who is at least a year and a half out of LRTI surgery. Are glad you had it? Any complications? Is your hand as good as new?

For two years I have been contemplating the surgery but deferred as it scares me and I am sensitive to pain. Having guarded the right hand, which is worse, I now have pain in my left hand.

Thanks, Catherine L.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User
    Re: Are you glad you had LRTI surgery?

Yes, at 18 months I am glad I had the surgery. I have some stiffness and lack of dexterity, but no pain. Good strength and grip. First few months are rough, but with patience and occupational therapy you will heal and be able to use your hand with no pain, takes 6 to 10 months. I will have my dominant hand done next winter, the surgical group are doing fusion now in some cases instead of lrti. I might have a choice, need to get the details.
    Keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you like.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm encouraged to know there is light at the end of the surgery tunnel.

I'm curious to learn what fusion entails, and what is the downside. When you find out can you let me know?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Sure. You might want to read through the old threads to get an idea of how the postop period will be. There is a wide range of healing. Plus lots of good tips on how to prepare.
    Let us know when yours is scheduled so we can send healing wishes.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ravin835:
    Haydena (09-11-2014)
    Old 09-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
    kim157
    (female)

kim157 HB User

I'm going to be keeping an eye on your thread, for sure! I'm 5 weeks post surgery, my stitches are out & pins are maybe coming out next wk. I live alone, so I made a lot of preparations and did a lot of practicing using my left\non- dominant hand. Good tool: left hand scissors! I chose to do my right hand first, knowing it would be difficult. I was afraid that if I did the left first, I might not do the right. I had reached a stage where I could no longer work, dressing myself was nearly impossible. I was depressed, in pain. I'm still in some pain, but I have high hopes. Anything has to be an improvement. My Doctor is awesome, & the nurses are very kind & helpful. I admit that doing this on my own is very difficult, so I advise you to line up a personal support team in advance, lol! Expect some post op pain, but don't get discouraged. I have quite away yet to go, but I am determined to get my life back.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-12-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbl1947 View Post
    Hi, I'd like to hear from anyone who is at least a year and a half out of LRTI surgery. Are glad you had it? Any complications? Is your hand as good as new?

For two years I have been contemplating the surgery but deferred as it scares me and I am sensitive to pain. Having guarded the right hand, which is worse, I now have pain in my left hand.

Thanks, Catherine L.
    I'm 19 weeks out, so my experience isn't yet as mature as you're looking for. However, I am very pleased with the outcome. The 12-week mark was really the turning point for me, at which point my strength and range of movement improved a lot. I am very happy with the surgery and know I still have more improvement to come.

By the way, I did not have the "TI" portion - the tendon interposition. In my case, the doctor used a smaller portion of the tendon just to do the ligament reconstruction and put nothing in the void left by the trapezium; that will become a hematoma and heal on its own. His reasoning is that the procedure gets equally good results as the TI but spares some of the tendon, which means one less incision.

There are several people who have had good results after a couple of years.

Good luck in deciding what to do - I know it is scary.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User

Thank you everyone for posting! I am having some other health issues so am waiting until the end of the year for my surgery. I will keep you posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbl1947 For This Useful Post:
    stamm678 (01-13-2015)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    lrti