It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• cmc arthroplasty failure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
    embqueen
    (female)

embqueen HB User
    cmc arthroplasty failure

Had cmc arthroplasty on left thumb one year ago. Joint is constantly opping out and have severe pain and inflammation. Seeing surgeon next week.
    anyone have this problem? or anyone having joint fusion? Am trying to weigh my options. I embroider, crochet, sew etc so need this hand but pain is intolerable

Last edited by embqueen; 10-15-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: cmc arthroplasty failure

Sorry to hear you are going through so much. I hope others on this board can help you.

My problems are with a MCP joint that has become very unstable. I wear a Silver Ring Splint that helps with my day-to-day functioning. It isn't a fix, but helps the instability from being so bad. I've seen some jewelry type splints available for the CMC, they aren't as common as the MCP ones, but they look like they would be pretty comfortable and help. The only thing about these splints is that they can be quite expensive though.

From what I've read, surgery success depends on the root cause of your issues. In my case, the ligaments have become too lax, a connective tissue issue, and won't hold the joint in position stably. I've seen mixed reviews for success of surgery for this. If it is degeneration or a tear or something similar, I think surgery could be a better option.

Good luck with your surgeon's visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
    tess201 (11-11-2014)
    Old 10-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
    embqueen
    (female)

embqueen HB User
    Smile Re: cmc arthroplasty failure

Thank you so much. I had never seen these splints. I wear a Cool Comfort brace which is hot and bulky but the silver rings look like they could help. I found one for CMC and MCP (EDS ring splints) and am going to take the info to doctor with me!!

Last edited by embqueen; 10-17-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

As I get older, some of my joints seem to be getting more and more hypermobile. Joint hypermobility and EDS are closely related so a lot of the issues the people with EDS are dealing with have given me a lot of good information in helping me cope with my issues.

The ring splints are great because they allow for much more motion in daily activities while preventing the dislocation and providing some stability. Also, I get tons of complements on my 'jewelry'. People want to know where they can buy one like it. Sometimes I explain it is a splint. With most, I just smile and say I got it on the internet.

I asked my Ortho Wrist Surgeon about the splints. He gave me a referral to my hand PT who measured me for the Silver Ring Splint. He sent those measurements in to the company who sent the splint directly to me. For the thumb splints, I absolutely recommend the wrist chain be ordered with it. It does make a difference. For me, the splints are not covered by insurance so this was an investment, but I figure I'll be able to wear the splint for the rest of my life.

I wish you well with your appointment.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Mountain Reader,

What were your symptoms prior to getting the silver ring splint? Were you a candidate for surgery? I am very interested in this product as I am trying to avoid surgery, which would be needed on both thumbs.

Tess

Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm now quite sure how to describe the thumb hypermobility I developed. I went with the silver ring splints because my thumb was 'popping' backwards. Basically , my MCP joint would position itself in towards the palm instead of out to the side of the wrist.

The splint helps stabilize the joint in position in a way that allows for movement in the correct direction, but restricts the joint from going out of place.

I have the one for my left thumb, but not for the right. Lately, I've been having pain in my right thumb. I noticed I've been subconsciously tensing my joints/muscles in that thumb to hold it into place because it has become loose too. It is strange that the right thumb is hurting when the left doesn't, yet the movement is similar. I've been pondering whether to see a doc for it or just request to be measured for a splint for that hand once I've saved up for it.

If possible, I definitely recommend the ring splint over the stiff medical ones because it does allow for the movement. For all of the other finger joints, there are plastic oval-8 splints available to test with, but I haven't found one for the MCP or CMP yet.

As far as I know, the only surgery available for the hypermobility would be fusion. I haven't consulted my hand surgeon with this question in mind yet because I can still grasp and use the thumbs. When I get to the point that my grasping ability is impacted, I think I would pursue it.

Closed Thread