It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Another Ulnar Shortening - Wrist Scope

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
    mtbmw
    (male)

mtbmw HB User
    Another Ulnar Shortening - Wrist Scope

Hello folks,

I've been reading other "accounts" on this procedure and thought I'd post up some thoughts on my own. A little background first…

2 Years ago I completely tore my scapholunate lig and partially tore my TFCC playing hockey. I actually had a graft repair done on the SL lig and a debridement of the TFCC. Long story short, I had fully recovered - with some loss in ROM - and was back at all activities within 7 months. Even had good strength. At that time, my surgeon kinda of warned me of the potential for re-injury to the TFCC because of the positive variance in my ulnar bone.

Fast forward a couple of years, and after a hard season of mtn biking, I was starting to notice more and more pain in the TFCC/ulnar side. After another visit to the doc this fall, he layed out my options. At a minimum, another scope and potential TFCC repair. But, as he described, that repair would do nothing to fix the longer term geometry/mechanical issues involving the ulnar bone, so we decided to just do it.

I had my surgery last Friday and all went pretty well. My TFCC was not torn like the first time, and the pain I was feeling had more to do with irritation of the meniscus between the lunate and ulnar bones. So I think I caught it early enough that I won't be beating up that joint area down the road. The other good news was that my SL repair done two years ago looked fantastic - even he commented that it looked better than he expected. He removed 2mm of the ulnar which was a bit surprising (expected 3-4Mmm). I was also surprised how close to the head of the ulnar bone, the cut/plate was placed - I had envisioned a repair somewhere more in the middle of the arm. Essentially the metal plate extends pretty much to the end of the bone. Looks like 6-7 screws.

I had the nerve block done, and was sent home with some nice Percs . After a few days, I basically weaned off the percocet even though I still had some pain. Pretty much 3 days solid of elevation and icing. 5 days post surgery - (X-Mas eve) - I had a short arm cast installed. Seemed a little soon, but swelling was non-existent and dissolvable stitches were used.

A week out now - I do have some concern. I am hoping fellow Ulnar osteotomites can comment;

I am having some discomfort with what I can only describe as "nervy" pain on the top of the hand extending a ways down the pinky and ring finger next to it. After some research, I'm thinking its the dorsal branch of the ulnar nerve?? What I experience is almost a hot flash on the skin and when I rub it, it almost feels numb - and sometimes super sensitive. In some instances I get pain that feels like when you push on a deeply bruised area too.

Have others experienced this?

I didn't see the doc during casting as he was out of town, but only spoke to his nurse. She commented that this could just be nerve irritation from the surgery. I half expected the feeling to drop away with reduced swelling/rest, but so far its seemed to plateau and not improving.

I don't wish to be paranoid about it - I won't see the doc until mid-Janary - but would like to know I'm not alone here. Anyway - just venting a bit.

Sounds like I'll be moving on to PT and a removable cast/brace in mid-January.

Mike

Last edited by mtbmw; 12-27-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
    watergirl2014
    (female)

watergirl2014 HB User
    Re: Another Ulnar Shortening - Wrist Scope

Hi mtbmw. I know what your talking about with the sensation of the fingers, as I was a bit freaked out by that feeling myself. The way I was told, was that they had to move/push aside nerves around during surgery. That it would take some time & it will come back to normal. For me, I feel like my hand is back to normal. I think being in PT has helped that. Good luck!

Closed Thread