It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulna surgery recovery question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
    watergirl2014
    (female)

watergirl2014 HB User
    Ulna surgery recovery question

Hi all. I am 5 weeks post op. I just want to share my story & see if anyone can relate. Plus I have a question or two.
    I broke my wrist back in Oct 2013. Just been a long recovery with the original break. I had ulna shortening & arthroscopic on the wrist the 2nd week of December 2014. I received a numb block. It worked so great. Glad I went that route. It almost lasted 24hrs. I only took pain meds for 12hrs after the block wore off. Then I started taking over the counter pain relief. I only had pain for about 2-3 days. I did have some numbness on my ring & pinky finger. The route my Ortho wanted to take was cast for 2 weeks & then get a hard removable one and start PT at week 2. Because of the holiday season, I was back in to my Ortho after a week, got my cast off, stitches removed & fitted for my hard removable cast. Everything was looking great at that appointment. The only thing was the numbness in my ring & pinky finger was still there. I am going to a PT that only works on hands. When I first went in, I barely had ROM but now, I have back more than before surgery. The numbness is now gone, the scar is looking really great & no pain since day 2-3. I think I can kinda feel the plate when working on my PT. I do feel some pain occasionally but really pushing in PT & no pain. Everything that I have read, people have pain. I really feel like I have a normal wrist. Has anyone else experienced no pain? When did everyone start back to working out?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

Whiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB User
    Re: Ulna surgery recovery question

Hi! I'm so glad the surgery worked out for you. I'm sorry I can't answer any questions because I'm trying to see someone for surgery also. My question to you is, did you have pain & maybe arthritis in your thumb & have surgery for that too? I broke my wrist almost 7 yrs. ago & it's been killing me for yrs. along with my thumb. I also have pain radiating from my hand up to my right shoulder & even underneath my arm. Did you experience anything like that? Thanks so much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watergirl2014 View Post
    Hi all. I am 5 weeks post op. I just want to share my story & see if anyone can relate. Plus I have a question or two.
    I broke my wrist back in Oct 2013. Just been a long recovery with the original break. I had ulna shortening & arthroscopic on the wrist the 2nd week of December 2014. I received a numb block. It worked so great. Glad I went that route. It almost lasted 24hrs. I only took pain meds for 12hrs after the block wore off. Then I started taking over the counter pain relief. I only had pain for about 2-3 days. I did have some numbness on my ring & pinky finger. The route my Ortho wanted to take was cast for 2 weeks & then get a hard removable one and start PT at week 2. Because of the holiday season, I was back in to my Ortho after a week, got my cast off, stitches removed & fitted for my hard removable cast. Everything was looking great at that appointment. The only thing was the numbness in my ring & pinky finger was still there. I am going to a PT that only works on hands. When I first went in, I barely had ROM but now, I have back more than before surgery. The numbness is now gone, the scar is looking really great & no pain since day 2-3. I think I can kinda feel the plate when working on my PT. I do feel some pain occasionally but really pushing in PT & no pain. Everything that I have read, people have pain. I really feel like I have a normal wrist. Has anyone else experienced no pain? When did everyone start back to working out?
    Thanks!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
    watergirl2014
    (female)

watergirl2014 HB User

Towards the end that actually should say * really NOT pushing in PT. Only doing ROM mobility and no strength. Nice & easy.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
    watergirl2014
    (female)

watergirl2014 HB User

No pain in my thumb. Before surgery, I had a lot of pain on top of my hand and across the knuckles. I do have arthritis in it. I can feel it. During the cold season, it's even worse. Now I no longer have that pain but I still feel the arthiritis. So, so far, glad I had the surgery.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

Whiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB User

Thank you! I have the same pain across my hands especially the left one. Both of my wrists, etc., aren't good, but if I could have surgery on the right one, I'd be happy as I'm right-handed. Cold weather aggravates my arthritis & fibromyalgia. Stay well!

Quote:
    No pain in my thumb. Before surgery, I had a lot of pain on top of my hand and across the knuckles. I do have arthritis in it. I can feel it. During the cold season, it's even worse. Now I no longer have that pain but I still feel the arthiritis. So, so far, glad I had the surgery.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
    mtbmw
    (male)

mtbmw HB User

Quote:
    Thanks!
    Sounds like things went well for you really. Here's my write up..
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arm-wrist-hand/995051-another-ulnar-shortening-wrist-scope.html

I'm 3+ weeks out from surgery now and in a removable hard cast (also have a wrist splint to use around the house). So nice to be able to get out of it and sit around. I am still having numbness/nervy/electric/pins and needles type discomfort on the outside of the hand, over the surgical site, ring and pinky finger. My doc told me that it'll pass as I start regular movement. I was only on PK's for 3 day post surgery - but have reverted to taking a 1/2 sporadically (Percocet). I can do (and was encouraged to) small, light wrist rotations now, but PT won't start officially for another 3 weeks. Bone is healing but has a ways to go.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

The Following User Says Thank You to mtbmw For This Useful Post:
    Whiskers2005 (01-15-2015)
    Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It takes about 6 weeks for the bone to fully heal. You really shouldn't be pushing things before that.

The thing about the ulnar plate is that there isn't much between it and the surface. It isn't uncommon to be able to feel the plate. You may also find out that you feel the plate pulling in the cold if you are in the cold too long too.

Healing from the ulnar osteotomy is a lot like healing from a broken bone...when you think about it, they cut your bone apart and put it together.

I think the healing process is so different for many of us because a lot of our underlying issues and the pre-op condition of our wrists/hands are so different.

I can't speak fully to your question now because I was in casts until the 6 week mark. Once the x-rays showed the bone was healed, I started my PT. I did well with the work on the scar breaking up scar tissue and regained strength fairly quickly. I struggled with regaining the last part of my supination though. Turned out my plate had come loose and was impacting that. Once I had the plate removed, my PT went quite well and I got my full ROM back.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
    Whiskers2005 (01-15-2015)
    Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
    watergirl2014
    (female)

watergirl2014 HB User

Thanks everyone! I lost ROM from my original wrist break. So for me, it is important to keep what I had or gain more ROM. It really has been over a year long journey on dealing with this wrist. Just thinking about not having any pain, made me think something is wrong, but I did have 2 other previous surgeries & had no pain with those too, so I guess this is the normal for me. I do kinda feel like I have become a pro at being one-handed.

Closed Thread