It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar Nerve Entrapment- Bilateral Ulnar Neuritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
    Cocoinbonita
    (female)

Cocoinbonita HB User
    Ulnar Nerve Entrapment- Bilateral Ulnar Neuritis

I am a 57 YO female with Fibromyalgia and SLE (Lupus). I have been diagnosed with BUN with the right arm in the most pain. I had nerve conduction test by a neurologist and although I have some sensation loss in my pinkies and ring fingers, there appears to be no nerve damage. I go in to see orthopedic surgeons on Monday and I want to go well prepared with questions and concerns. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated by those who have had surgery in hands or arms.

Thank you,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
    Sharila
    (female)

Sharila HB User
    Re: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment- Bilateral Ulnar Neuritis

If you dont have feeling in pinkie and ring finger its from the ulnar nerve it may be mild on the nerve testing if it didn't show anything. I would ask the dr you will be seeing if something else would cause the feeling lose if you have your arm bent or if you rest the arm in a old spot it will bring on more of the numbness un the fingers

Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
    Cocoinbonita
    (female)

Cocoinbonita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sharila View Post
    If you dont have feeling in pinkie and ring finger its from the ulnar nerve it may be mild on the nerve testing if it didn't show anything. I would ask the dr you will be seeing if something else would cause the feeling lose if you have your arm bent or if you rest the arm in a old spot it will bring on more of the numbness un the fingers
    I had several appointments in the past month including a pre op appointment on March 6th. My surgery is scheduled for April 1, 2015 and I am extremely nervous. Everyone around me says it will be fine and I will be ok. But I am not that confident.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
    Cocoinbonita
    (female)

Cocoinbonita HB User
    Ulnar Nerve surgery Please Help

What I thought was Ulnar Nerve Entrapment is the opposite. Had an appointment with a Neurologist, Orthopedic Surgeon, and Rheumatologist.
    According to the Ortho, there is tissue degradation surrounding the Ulnar Nerve and therefore it is loose and snapping over the "crazy bone" causing tremendous pain. It is in both arms with the right arm being worse (dominant hand/arm).
    Surgery is scheduled for April 1, 2015 and I am extremely nervous. I will be out of work for several weeks and what concerns me the most is that I will be recovering with little help. My husband will have to pick up the slack at work and my daughter who lives here works two jobs and is in college with little time to help.
    I am not seeking pity, but suggestions as what I should do to facilitate my recuperation. As I will be using one arm and one hand, what have I not thought of? Frankly, I have not thought of much. So any suggestions will help.
    I don't even know what to wear to the surgery as I will be coming home in a cast.
    Any advise is appreciated.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User

I had bilateral medial epicondylectomies for ulnar nerve entrapment in 1993. Nerve conduction tests showed 2% reduction in one arm and 5% in the other. My symptoms consisted of burning along the ulnar nerve in my forearms. The surgery involved sawing off the knobby bone (epicondyle) on the inside of each elbow, freeing the nerve and allowing it to slide along the inside of each arm. I had severe neuritis post surgery but eventually it abated. To be honest, instead of surgery, I wish I had just stopped doing the activities that caused my nerve entrapment in the first place (digging gravel out of my garden and working at a computer station that was not ergonomic). Because the nerve is so exposed on each arm, I must sleep with a pillow under my elbow when I lie on my side. I guard my elbows and watch out for people who like to squeeze or grab my arm. If this is the surgery you are contemplating, you might want to consider what activities, if any, have caused your nerve entrapment. Then stop those activities and wait several months to see if your symptoms improve. Had I done this, I think my ulnar nerve entrapment in both arms would have gone away. In my case, I think surgery was totally unnecessary. You might want to check around to see if this surgery has stood the test of time. Good luck. Catherine L.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
    Sharila
    (female)

Sharila HB User

It's ok to be scared. Just where pjs that are easy to put on and cozy. The 1st day after surgery will be hard you will not want to do a lot. And thats ok too. I feel better its day 3 after surgery and no i can't use my left arm but i can still do a few things around the house. As far a cooking you will need help. What i did was before my surgery i made shure their was easy things to be cooked. Even if i not hungry i been trying to help. I have a husband that works graveyard so he sleeps in the day time. I also have 4 kids to look after my 2 older boys have been helping with the cooking. I have been telling everyone thanks for all the help they have been given me. It helps they hear that. The 1st night i was home a friend made and brought dinner that was really nice . you can have someone do that for you even if you don't want to eat it still helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
    nerve entrapment, ulnar