It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Basal Joint Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
    Rah Rah
    (female)

Rah Rah HB User
    Basal Joint Surgery

I am new to this site and have a question. I am scheduled to have surgery next week. This will be my dominate hand and I was wondering how long before you can use your fingers on that hand to type?

I am nervous about having this surgery, but am losing use of almost anything that requires gripping or pinching even to write hurts. I have subluxation of my thumb.

Thanks,
    Rah Rah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
    Re: Basal Joint Surgery

I have the same problem but I'm trying to hold off on surgery for as long as possible. From what I've read, the recovery takes months. I am totally dependent on the problem hand. I'm trying to use the other hand more but it's really difficult.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

In general, even if your fingers stick out of the dressing you go home with, you should rest the whole hand and not use those fingers, except for gentle wiggling as directed, even though you may be tempted. Rest the whole hand, keep it elevated and iced most of the time. You want to reduce swelling at the very beginning to get a good start on healing.
    Is the surgery for cmc arthritis or the subluxation? Will you be in a cast and then a splint? When will you start ot? All of these factors are already part of the plan, so it would be great to know ahead of time.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
    Rah Rah
    (female)

Rah Rah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piano0105 View Post
    I have the same problem but I'm trying to hold off on surgery for as long as possible. From what I've read, the recovery takes months. I am totally dependent on the problem hand. I'm trying to use the other hand more but it's really difficult.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
    Rah Rah
    (female)

Rah Rah HB User

My thumb is clicking anytime I use it. Thank goodness it does not bother me to type. I almost cannot bare the pain to hold an ink pen. I will try and update you after I have this surgery. Oh, how I do not want to have this surgery we ride horses and horse camp. I hate not being able to ride for months.
    Scared to have this but have lost so much use of my thumb its awful. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
    Rah Rah
    (female)

Rah Rah HB User

My surgery is for both cmc arthritis and subluxation of my thumb. Yes, I know I will be in a splint, not sure about a cast. I know that I will have OT/PT just not sure when he will want me to begin.
    I worry b/c my husband as already said things like Well you can use your other fingers. I have tried to explain to him that for a while I won't be able to. I will ask my Doctor to explain it to him.
    Have you had this surgery? If so how was your outcome?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Yes,I had LRTI on my nondominant hand two years ago. Good outcome with no pain, good grip and pinch. By the time you get to the point where you describe, you really have no other choice. Takes 6 months, it is a step by step process to rehabilitate, and you can't rush it. Rest for two weeks, at least....I've and elevate. Most people don't have too much pain after the first few days.
    My other hand is worse, but for some reason it quit hurting!

You will heal, you will get the full use of your hand back! It would be very helpful to look at the old threads here...there is a lot of practical advice on how to prepare, how to cope... look for posts by Haydena and Margarita and Cleftstone and others, you will get lots of support.
    Keep us posted.

Closed Thread