It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• IV gone BAD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
    FedUpandInPain
    (female)

FedUpandInPain HB User
    Unhappy IV gone BAD

Back in April of 2014 I have a cervical fusion. I told them I did not want the IV placed in my hand. They started one prior to surgery, no problems. Once I was under, they needed another one for a different medication. They tried my right hand. Once I woke in recovery, the first thing I noticed was the pain in my hand. Pulled my hand out & saw the bandage where they tried the line. Ever since I have had a ton of pain & stiffness. I have seen 3 hand doctors. One finally gave me a cortisone injection, which helped. I am still having issues 11 months later.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User
    Re: IV gone BAD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FedUpandInPain View Post
    Back in April of 2014 I have a cervical fusion. I told them I did not want the IV placed in my hand. They started one prior to surgery, no problems. Once I was under, they needed another one for a different medication. They tried my right hand. Once I woke in recovery, the first thing I noticed was the pain in my hand. Pulled my hand out & saw the bandage where they tried the line. Ever since I have had a ton of pain & stiffness. I have seen 3 hand doctors. One finally gave me a cortisone injection, which helped. I am still having issues 11 months later.......
    Sounds like you have nerve damage. My brother-in-law had an IV four years ago and developed nerve damage in his arm as a result. He too has chronic pain on a daily basis. Perhaps a neurologist can confirm my informal diagnosis of neuropathy or nerve damage. I wonder if you should ask for the surgical and other files pertaining to your procedure. And maybe see a lawyer?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
    FedUpandInPain
    (female)

FedUpandInPain HB User

Thanks!!! That's what I was thinking!!! I have filed a complaint with the hospital, the Risk Management person, does not respond to me! UGH

Old 03-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Look up "reflex sympathetic dystrophy" or "chronic regional pain syndrome." If you sound like either of those two, get help ASAP as the sooner treatment is done, the better the outcome.

Good luck.

Closed Thread