It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Basil Thumb Joint Post-Surgery 5 Weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
    Angela996
    (female)

Angela996 HB User
    Angry Basil Thumb Joint Post-Surgery 5 Weeks

I had this surgery almost 5 weeks ago in my dominant hand. It has been a very tough road. I am still in extreme pain. I have not started PT yet but will do so next week. I just got my cast off last week. That was a relief. I have been doing some exercises myself, ones I can tolerate. I am scared I might not ever get back my full strength or range of motion. My wrist is very tight, can't seem to bend it much. Also, the thumb just seems like it does not want to do anything. I'm wondering if this is normal. I understand everyone is different but I mean come on! Still swelling in that area too. I'm only 44 and don't want to have these kinds of issues with my hand. I can't imagine when I'll be able to lift a coffee cup without pain, much less do a push up. I was on Hydrocodone but the Dr. wont give me any more, Tylenol does absolutely nothing, my blood pressure is way up, do to pain I assume. Not sure how to get through that part of it. Every day, swelling, pain, throbbing, shooting pain through my palm and sometimes up towards my elbow. Can anyone help with any information so I know I'm not the only one going through this? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User
    Re: Basil Thumb Joint Post-Surgery 5 Weeks

You are going thru the hard part...it is all normal, it will resolve slowly as you heal, there are a few tips I would like to give you that will help. Keep hand elevated and iced as much as you need for pain and swelling. Do not do any exercises on your own until you start ot, then you will be guided in the correct steps toward rehabilitation, working on strenght is down the road. It is ok to wiggle the fingers but do not attempt to bend or force them in any way. Do not force the wrist, but gently let it fall forward and then back toward you, it won't go very far yet, that is normal.
    Do you have a splint, if you take it off be very careful to keep the thumb sticking out in the same position it was while in the cast. Remember to move whole arm and elbow through range of motion so as to keep shoulder and other muscles in shape.
    This surgery has a lengthy recovery time, 6 months or longer, so don't be worried or discouraged, but do whatever you can to deal with the pain. Doctors don't prescribe many narcotics anymore, but maybe he will in your case if you can get ahold of his assistant on the phone and explain in detail how much pain you were in, and ask for one more refill.
    Do you have burning pain at the incision, that is because the nerves were moved around and take time to calm down.
    Can you take anti inflammatories?
    Read the older closed threads here on basal arthroplasty, or lrti for more advice and support, esp the comments by Haydena.
    Hang in there, keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Basil Thumb Joint Post-Surgery 5 Weeks

Pain is still normal at this stage. I kept my hand elevated non-stop (yes, really, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for the first 6 weeks. That significantly reduced swelling but I still had burning pain over the incisions and shooting pains in my thumb. That is part of recovery. Use ice and keep that hand up!

It is totally normal to have limited range of motion and stiffness right now in your wrist, thumb and fingers. Your therapist will be your guide in doing exercises and making sure you don't overdo it. Overdoing it may create chronic inflammation in your thumb and that will hinder your recovery.

Full recovery will take a year, but you will feel much, much better by the 12 week mark. I am now at 13 weeks after my second surgery and I can do most anything I want, other than lift heavy objects (more than 5 pounds). That means everyday activities are fine - lifting a mug, doing dishes, squeezing toothpaste, using dental floss, chopping food, doing laundry, typing, etc.

Patience will be your greatest ally for the next few weeks. You're in a long tunnel but trust me, there is light up ahead and it won't be long before you see and feel significant progress. Keep the faith!

Closed Thread