It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• De quervain's and CMC instability

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
    teresa83
    (female)

teresa83 HB User
    De quervain's and CMC instability

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been having issues with my right hand for two years now. My orthopedic dr recommended surgery to reconstruct a ligament and at the same time do a release on the de quervains tendon. Anyone out there going thru the same issues? Or has had surgery? I would greatly appreciate your comments.😊😊

The following user gives a hug of support to teresa83:
    MountainReader (03-16-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: De quervain's and CMC instability

There are a number of people here who have had trapeziectomy/LRTI surgery for their CMC joint pain due to osteoarthritis. I suggest you use the Search function and read through those threads.

I had a trapeziectomy for my CMC joint pain back in December and now am experiencing De Quervain's (which I'm not is not uncommon). I haven't done anything for it other than trying to avoid motions that aggravate it.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-04-2017 at 07:37 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to stamm678:
    teresa83 (03-16-2015)
    Old 03-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Ironically, my issues are kind of backwards of yours. I had a Ganglion cyst develop on my wrist that was pushing on my nerves in that area. The hand surgeon said it was a leak of synovial fluid from DeQuervain's. When I had the cyst removed, he performed the DeQuervain's procedure at the same time. When I healed up from the surgery, I realized my CMC joint had become significantly unstable. Turns out I have joint hypermobility issues I didn't even realize I had and the surgery must have triggered them worse after the surgery. I now wear a Silver Ring Splint on my CMC joint to keep it from hyperextending. Because I've found my ligament laxity is connected to connective tissue issues, surgery to tighten them wouldn't be effective in my case.

The surgery for the cyst removal and DeQuervain's was quite an easy healing process for me compared to others I've had. I had a heavy bandage for about 4 days, then I was able to remove it. I took it easy for a while, but it did heal well. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the surgeon glued my incision shut and I have an ugly scar. Wish he had stitched it or at least used Steri-strips.

I wish you well with your procedure.

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
    teresa83 (03-16-2015)
    Old 03-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
    teresa83
    (female)

teresa83 HB User
    Smile Re: De quervain's and CMC instability

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stamm678 View Post
    There are a number of people here who have had trapeziectomy/LRTI surgery for their CMC joint pain due to osteoarthritis. I suggest you use the Search function and read through those threads.

I had a trapeziectomy for my CMC joint pain back in December and now am experiencing De Quervain's (which I'm not is not uncommon). I haven't done anything for it other than trying to avoid motions that aggravate it.
    Stamm678 thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely start searching. How r u doing in your healing/recovery? I'm sorry to hear your now experiencing De Quervains, I had a very hard day today, the pain was unbearable taking a day at a time.������

Last edited by teresa83; 03-15-2015 at 08:41 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to teresa83:
    Fl0werP0wer (03-16-2015)
    Old 03-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
    teresa83
    (female)

teresa83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    Ironically, my issues are kind of backwards of yours. I had a Ganglion cyst develop on my wrist that was pushing on my nerves in that area. The hand surgeon said it was a leak of synovial fluid from DeQuervain's. When I had the cyst removed, he performed the DeQuervain's procedure at the same time. When I healed up from the surgery, I realized my CMC joint had become significantly unstable. Turns out I have joint hypermobility issues I didn't even realize I had and the surgery must have triggered them worse after the surgery. I now wear a Silver Ring Splint on my CMC joint to keep it from hyperextending. Because I've found my ligament laxity is connected to connective tissue issues, surgery to tighten them wouldn't be effective in my case.

The surgery for the cyst removal and DeQuervain's was quite an easy healing process for me compared to others I've had. I had a heavy bandage for about 4 days, then I was able to remove it. I took it easy for a while, but it did heal well. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the surgeon glued my incision shut and I have an ugly scar. Wish he had stitched it or at least used Steri-strips.

I wish you well with your procedure.
    Thank you so much for your reply😊 I've been reading a lot on This particular surgery and I didn't know how long the healing/recovery might actually take. I'm a little scared, my surgeon said I would have to be off from work three months. I never considered having surgery until last year, I realized no matter how much PT or cortisone shots I would get the pain was always there.

I'm sorry to hear your not a candidate to get surgery on your CMC joint. Thank you for sharing your experience with me and I wish you the best👼👼

Old 03-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

Teresa, thank you so much for your concern - that is very sweet! I am doing much better. Having been through tendon issues elsewhere many times, I knew to cut back on anything that was aggravating it. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time with pain. I hope it eases up for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-04-2017 at 07:38 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to stamm678 For This Useful Post:
    teresa83 (03-23-2015)
    Closed Thread