It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• trigger finger release surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
    sambko
    (female)

sambko HB User
    trigger finger release surgery

anyone have this kind of surgery on the hand? I've been reading about it and it seems that physical therapy is not an option to prevent needing the surgery. Is this correct? Can anyone agree that surgery is the only option?

thanks in advance

PS - and what about after the surgery? is the hand the same or is it different?

Last edited by sambko; 03-18-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User
    Re: trigger finger release surgery

No, pt won't help, but have you had steroid injection? I have had the surgery, it was done under local anesthesia. You will need pt....actually ot....afterwards to address scar tissue and make sure you have full strength and flexibility. Once it has healed and rehabbed you won't notice any difference.
    I had two other fingers injected which completely got rid of it. The difference was with the one that needed surgery I waited too long. Also, this does not go away on its own, if you don't fix it the tendon can become frayed making it much worse. How this is helpful.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
    sambko
    (female)

sambko HB User

Wow, thanks so much. I had the cortizone shot and it did nothing. I wonder how these things happen? For me it was sleeping with my thumb tucked in my fingers. So crazy!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User

This is what I was told, picture the tendon that you use to move your finger as a cable that moves through a pulley, the rings of the pulley are sheaths, one becomes inflamed and swollen so the tendon cannot move freely and becomes stuck, getting worse over time. Really painful too, as you know.
    I recommend the surgery. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
    gemo
    (female)

gemo HB User

I had 2 injections before surgery and that is the only 2 things that will help, injections or surgery. The surgery helped my stiffness but I was not given any physio afterwards which I am angry about. I am now waiting for an ENMG to see if I have any nerve damage due to constant pain in the finger and stiffness. I also have a lump under the scar. BTW I do have a tendancy to scar badly so it could just be that is the problem. However after 4 months he has now suggested physio! Hmm! Do make sure you have good follow up care with physio no matter how mild the procedure is. Good luck

Closed Thread