It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Osteoarthritis Subtalar arthritis at 40.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
    ziak3000
    (male)

ziak3000 HB User
    Subtalar arthritis at 40.

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post.

Ten years ago I started to get pain in my feet while walking. At that time, my ex-wife was having bunion surgery and recommended I see her surgeon. The surgeon diagnosed me with arthritis in both ankles and gave me shots of cortisone. She said I would have pain in old age. The shots helped temporarily but six months later the pain returned.

In 2011 I did something stupid: on a bet, I started running. And I started to like it. I bought minimal Nike shoes after reading 'Born to Run' and ran 3-5 miles daily on hard asphalt. I then trained for and ran a 10 miler, often in intense pain during and after running. I thought the pain was mostly due to running. But it got so bad that I could only run a couple times a week and then I had to stop completely.

In 2012 I quit my job to travel across New Zealand and Asia. I backpacked for six months walking an average of 10 miles a day, often carrying my pack that weighed 70 lbs. Each day I was in constant pain but the excitement of being in new places every few days distracted me.

When I got back in 2013, I went to see Dr. Paul Cooper, a well-regarded surgeon at MedStar Georgetown in DC. He was rude and curt, but diagnosed me with subtalar arthritis in both feet. I got orthotics but they don't help. I can barely make it three miles before I have intense pain in my ankles. I've managed to hide the limp but it's starting to get noticeable. It's on my mind from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep. I find myself staring longer at people in wheelchairs; noticing the slightest limps in people; listening more intently when someone complains about foot problems.

And now I'm noticing pain radiating from my hip area (groin, buttocks, sides) and knees...it's probably just more arthritis. Lucky me!

I'm planning to marry my girlfriend and have a child soon. I love to travel and my goal is to visit 100 countries (I'm at 46). I love adventures; walking around the city; going to concerts, plays, musicals, art galleries, happy hours. I take walks at lunch. I'm thinking about joining the foreign service. Just like all of you I just want to be a normal human being enjoying the benefits and freedoms of living in this great country. I'm terrified of what's going to happen to me and what my future looks like. I just turned 40!

But despite the pain, anxiety, depression, sadness, fear and all else that accompanies this disease, I'm trying to stay positive. So here are three things I promise to do every day:

1. Be grateful
    2. Think positive
    3. Keep moving

I would love to hear what helps you get through. Thanks for reading.

ZK

The Following User Says Thank You to ziak3000 For This Useful Post:
    Starmar (02-21-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
    meru
    (female)

meru HB User
    Re: Subtalar arthritis at 40.

It is always heartening to hear of someone overcoming an unfortunate situation. I'm 23, i was diagnosed with scoliosis at 16, braced, and convinced it would not impact my life until i was much older. At 18 my balance was so thrown off that dancing (a HUGE passion of mine) became nearly impossible. About a year later i decided it was time to take what the soctor said avout being strong more seriously and began to invest more time at the gym. Fast forward to 2015. I was training for my first body building competition (bikink athlete) and i believed to have torn something in my shoulder. I was used to the back ache but this was new. An MRI showed degenerative disc disease and a back riddled with arthritis. I choose to stay strong and healthy. I am on a very natural diet, i exercise and do PT often, and i remember to be proud of myself for accepting the life I have and finding the joy within the pain. Despite having these health issues; a neck with a curve of 4 (should be 30), a curve at the top of my back of 18 with a 10 rotation, a curve in my lower back of 32 and a tilted pelvis. Along with my arthritis and degenertative disc disease, despite full body pain after ever workout and a lot of pain in general... I placed 3rd at my first show. I am in yraining for my second. It has been another rough ride, the tilt in my pelvis is causing a lot of hip problems and my ribs keep slipping out... But im still dping what i enjoy and staying positive. Depression makes pain worse, and chronic pain causes depression... Its hard to stay out kf that cycle and at times its just not possible BUT the single most important thing is to stay positive!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
    ziak3000
    (male)

ziak3000 HB User
    Re: Subtalar arthritis at 40.

Thank you so much for this, merukow.

I need to hear more stories like yours so I'm inspired. Since my pain has only recently started to become a daily issue, I have not had the length of time to mentally prepare and work through all of it. But when I read stories such as yours and others on this website (and on Inspire), I know that things will be okay. They're not going to be great but life goes on and we have to find a way to live to the fullest no matter how much pain and anguish we experience.

I agree with you that depression and pain are linked and can drive you down in a vicious cycle so I'm trying to be more grateful each day.

The fact that you placed 3rd in the competition is amazing! I know how much physical and mental work that requires. Keep it up and keep those eyes on the prize!

Thanks!!

Zia

Reply Reply

Tags
    ankle, arthritis, foot, osteoarthritis, subtalar