It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Confused and Frustrated - Doctor says osteoarthritis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
KJ6IPA
(male)

KJ6IPA HB User
Confused and Frustrated - Doctor says osteoarthritis

Hi,

My name is Jeff. I'm new here. In December of 2015, I started having aches and pains at different locations all over my body. This progressed over all of 2016 to having joint pain in pretty much every joint. I live in Southern California where the weather is usually quite nice, but it has been colder and raining this past month and my joints are screaming at me, especially my ankles, knees, hips, back, shoulders and fingers.
My rheumatologist tested me for all the usual stuff, and my labs look great except for high cholesterol. My RF, ANA, ESR are all normal. She said that I have osteoarthritis. ???????? I would accept this diagnosis if the pain was in a few joints, but my pain is everywhere. I feel horrible all the time and nothing seems to help (except the love my dog gives me). I am 50 years old and afraid that I will end up in a wheelchair soon.
I feel like I'm rambling on.....anyway, does anyone here share a similar story. Being healthy your whole life and suddenly being faced with chronic, wide-spread pain and no clear answer as to what is wrong?

Anyway.....have a great day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Queenie99
(female)

Queenie99 HB User
Re: Confused and Frustrated - Doctor says osteoarthritis

Don't know if it helps, but sounds like Fibromyalgia. I suffer from osteoarthritis in my lower back and hips, but I also have widespread pain that affects arms, shoulders, back and legs. I also suffer from migraines. With fibro I hurt all over.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
tess201
Senior Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Like the previous poster, I also suggest you look into Fibromyalgia.

Tess

Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you taking any anti inflammatory? Aleve is a good one to start with and I'm on diclofenac -a prescription one. It works well for me and I've had 5 foot surgeries with lots of arthritis in them as well as in my spine and fingers.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
KJ6IPA
(male)

KJ6IPA HB User

thanks for the replies. The same doctor that said osteo also said no to fibro. She had me wait in her office for 45 minutes, only to give me 3 minutes of her time and all she would do is throw another medication at me. I'm currently waiting for my insurance to authorize a different doctor.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #6
tess201
Senior Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ6IPA View Post
The same doctor that said osteo also said no to fibro. She had me wait in her office for 45 minutes, only to give me 3 minutes of her time and all she would do is throw another medication at me. I'm currently waiting for my insurance to authorize a different doctor.
Good idea!

Tess

Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
VicLF
(female)

VicLF HB User

I hope you were able to find another a doctor, one who will listen. I agree with other responses that it sounds like fibromyalgia, but some people have autoimmune disease with negative blood work. If nothing else, the doctor should help you find some relief. Good luck to you.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Marituna
(female)

Marituna HB User

That is really a bad news when you have an osteoarthritis. Try a natural way of treating osteoarthritis like shake cucumber, just drink it at least once a day and try also turmeric powder as a substitute from coffee. It will help

Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
Canadiano123
(male)

Canadiano123 HB User

Sorry to hear you weren't able to get the answers you were looking for. Fibromyalgia can definitely give you severe pain, head to toe. It shouldn't give you swelling in your joints though, if you see that, you need a second opinion.

Fibromyalgia is hard to treat - sleep, gradual exercise, and medications used to block pain receptors in your brain (like Cymbalta or Elavil) can be helpful.

A doctor definitely needs to help you get a treatment path that can be helpful to you.

Good luck on your journey!

Old 06-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #10
rosier
Veteran
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Osteritis is normal. I have had for many years in my lower back, then reached my knees. There is no cure for it, but you may feel like a guinea pig testing pain meds till one works best for you. Good luck and ask your doctor questions about it. Be proactive in your health issues. Hug for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #11
lilyik9
(male)

lilyik9 HB User

You'd better do a examination in the hospital.

The following user gives a hug of support to lilyik9:
rosier (07-17-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to lilyik9 For This Useful Post:
rosier (07-17-2017)
Reply Reply