It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Anyone taken any natural supplements to help arthritis?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User
Anyone taken any natural supplements to help arthritis?

I have been taking Methotrexate for years and I must say it does help a lot. But I was wondering if anyone has tried to take some natural supplements? I would like to get off the Methotrexate and possibly try a natural supplement or herb. There are some out there, but I'm a little wary of them. That's why I came here. To hear what if any supplements you all have tried if any. It would be great to not take Methotrexate every week and have blood work done every 12 weeks. Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Marituna
(female)

Marituna HB User
Re: Anyone taken any natural supplements to help arthritis?

I've known men who are suffering from Arthritis, one of the natural supplement is Turmeric powder. Make a habit every morning as a substitute of coffee. Hope it helped.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User

Hi Marituna. Yes I am currently taking Turmeric Curcumin with 95% Curcuminoids. That makes a difference. There are so many out there. I should have done my research a little earlier. I have been on Turmeric Curcumin for 6 days now. I also stopped taking the Methotrexate 6 days ago. It's too early to tell right now if Turmeric will make a difference since it's been only 6 days. So stay tuned to see if it helps. I will give it a month and by then that should tell me if it's working. I hope for the best though. Thanks for replying.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
tess201
Senior Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Also . . . essential oils. A combo of Deep Blue, Frankincense and marjoram rubbed on the site.

Tess

Last edited by tess201; 04-27-2017 at 09:05 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to tess201 For This Useful Post:
hey19 (05-25-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Canadiano123
(male)

Canadiano123 HB User

Hi Bluehills,

Have you talked to your doctor about slowly cutting back the dose of the Methotrexate?

I would be a little careful stopping the Methotrexate without talking to your doctor. You could have a bad flare and be in pain.

Turmeric works well for arthritis in general, but rheumatoid arthritis is special. It needs medication or you can have more joint damage.

I read that high doses of omega 3 fatty acids can also be helpful, but nothing with replace the methotrexate.

Are you having any bad side effects from the methotrexate? Are you taking enough folate? Or do you just want to get off?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-29-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess201 View Post
Also . . . essential oils. A combo of Deep Blue, Frankincense and marjoram rubbed on the site.

Tess
Ive never heard of Deep Blue, but the other two I have. I'll have to do some more research on the three. Thanks tess201.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User

Hi Canadiano.No I must admit I have not talked to my doctor about going off the Methotrexate. I am still taking the Folic Acid though. I think my doctor would be against the Tumeric Curcumin anyway. I do want to go off the Methotrexate. I am cutting down on it now and have never had any side effects while taking it. It's only been 9 days on Tumeric Curcumin. So far so good. I also think there are other things I can try that you mentioned. The Omega 3 fatty acids. Plus tess201 mentioned some things I can try. I honestly believe rheumatoid arthritis can be beat naturally. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
SamV
(male)

SamV HB User

Have tried fish oil supplements, Glucosamine chondroitin, turmeric supplements. Limited benefit in finger pain. Not much help with larger joint pain.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Same here....I was seriously considering switching to turmeric from diclofenac but did my research and found that turmeric has been proven not as effective as diclofenac -so I'm still on that.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User

Hi Titchou and SamV, I'm glad the Diclofenac is working for you. I am looking for something more natural. A good change in diet would probably make a difference. There are so many good things to eat out there. I just did some researching on things I could try. I have been on Turmeric Curcumin for 15 days now and so far so good. But that is just a short time anyway. I am also cutting back on Methotrexate. Potassium is a good place to start. I will be trying Omega 3 soon - just ordered some and ordered some Potassium too. I really don't like bananas though. So I'm going to continue with the Turmeric Curcumin, Omega 3, and Potassium supplement for now, besides trying to eat better foods. Take care all.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
Sunshinegurli
(female)

Sunshinegurli HB User

Does it matter which type of Turmeric you take? I've read that it's a miracle natural remedy for many things.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User

Hi Sunshinegirli. I don't know if it matters too much which Turmeric Curcumin you take, but make sure that it has about 1200 mgs of Turmeric with 95% Curcuminoids at 100 mgs. Also make sure it has about 10 mgs of BioPerine for absorbancy. Some places claim to have the best Turmeric Curcumin out there, but I feel you would be safe to follow what I have said earlier. The prices range too. I am doing pretty well so far on it. Been taking Omega 3 fatty acids too to help arthritis. Omega 3's vary in price and product too. Turmeric Curcumin helps with your heart also. I have been off the Methotrexate for about two weeks now and I am doing fine so far. I can only hope that this Turmeric Curcumin does help me for a long time. Take care.

Last edited by Bluehills; 05-31-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: mispelling of name

Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User
Wink Re: Anyone taken any natural supplements to help arthritis?

Hi all. I have been taking Turmeric Curcumin for close to 7 weeks now and are off the Methotrexate. I am feeling pretty good. I also take Omega 3 fatty acid fish oil too. I have had no major pains to speak of, but for some reason my throat has been sore when I swallow. Not sure what is causing that. I am not sick.
I take two pills a day of the Turmeric Curcumin. It still may be early to make a decision about not seeing my rheumatologist any more. I think I will see him one more time July 3rd and if I'm still doing good then I will say goodbye doc. Then I am in Gods hands. Wish me luck.
Those of you that want to start taking Turmeric Curcumin I say give it a try. Be sure to do some research on it and get Turmeric Curcumin with 95% Cuminoids 100mgs and Bio Perine 10mgs. Bio Perine is from black pepper. It helps in absorbancy. Stay tuned. I will be around.

Last edited by Bluehills; 06-09-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
Bluehills
(male)

Bluehills HB User

My last post spoke good about Turmeric Curcumin. That has change these last couple of weeks. I have been having pain in my hands and feet and am back on Methotrexate. My large joints feel fine. I still feel that Turmeric Curcumin is good for minor arthritis and not rheumatoid arthritis. At first I thought I was going to be fine just taking Turmeric and the Omega fish oil. But not anymore. Good luck to all here.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #15
tess201
Senior Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Regarding tumeric, I have tried many different types. The one I would strongly recommend (although pricey) is organic Tumeric Gold. It has a red label. This is an extract and you take two bulbs 3/x day. Good stuff, amazing, really! None of the other tumeric products really worked for me, no matter how many of the supplements I took.

Tess

Reply Reply