It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

newly diagnosed with gout

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
tweetsie 16404
(female)

tweetsie 16404 HB User
newly diagnosed with gout

I got out of the hospital after spending 6 days there. I was diagnosed with a septic joint infection in my shoulder and gout. Very painful. I am now watching what I eat and not eating anything with high fructose corn syrup and no alcohol whatsoever. I've had this for 16 years and the doctors knew it but were too lazy to follow up and find the source of the pain. Just kept shoving pain pills at me. Now have to follow up with physical therapy because I have been in a power chair for 8 years and have to learn to walk again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
midwestloner
(male)

midwestloner HB User
Re: newly diagnosed with gout

I am new to these boards and hope to share and learn more about gout and how to manage the pain associated with it without being all medicated up.

My Mother had gout and along with her alcohol abuse it eventually killed her.

I started getting horrible pain in my big toes several years ago and when I went to see my doctor he told me that I had gout. Started me on Allopurinol and I have been taking that every day ever since. However, that does not eliminate or cure gout. I still get flare ups and if I don't immediately attend to the symptoms, I am in agony within 1-2 days. My doctor seems a bit ambivalent to my pain and just tells me to take more allopurinol until the pain subsides. However, research that I have read on the web seems to indicate that during a gout attack that you should stop allopurinol.

Not wanted to have to daily take a stronger RX, I started researching natural ways to treat or minimize gout attacks and have been fairly successful on limiting my gout flares to 3-4 times a years and reducing the pain stage from 1-2 weeks to just 1-3 days. However, I got laid off from my job several months ago and I guess the stress and worry over that had increased the number of flareups now to almost monthly.

I am still able to manage the pain to just 1-2 days with various herbs, apple cider vinegar, essential oil treatment or arthritis cream on the affected joint.

I was just wondering what other gout affected people have done or are doing to minimize attacks or reduce the level of joint pain when they have an onset of the pain. Also, other than allopurinol, if there are other RX treatments that are used now that are more effective in reducing the recurrence of attacks.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you had your blood drawn to check on the uric acid level? Perhaps your dosage of allopurinol needs adjusting.

As far as I know, allopurinol is still the standard treatment for gout. I was told that at the first sign of an attack, take colcrys immediately. It should knock out the attack and keep it from developing.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
lenvegas
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, I have had many gout attacks over the years until I started taking a daily magnesium supplement and have now been gout free for three years. The therapeutic dosage is 250mg a day. It works because it diminishes the uric acid in your body.

Reply Reply

Tags
gout complications, gout relief.

« Severe Flare | Gout »