It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Rheumatoid Arthritis Discoloration of Skin

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
sqali
(male)

sqali HB User
Discoloration of Skin

Hi
since 2 yrs taking Methotrexate 2.5mg 5 tablets once a week and Plaquenil tablets 200 mg one tablet daily and Astatin 20 mg one tablet daily at night.
Complain: I noticed change in my skin color esp. my forehead and scalp skin has turned from wheatish to greyish blaclk with some black and beige color patches. same is the case on my face.

Waiting for your input

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Discoloration of Skin

Hi....i checked out plaquinil and yes, it can cause related hyperpigmentation of those colours. Methotrexate or other meds can cause photosensitivity to the sun.

q

Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
sqali
(male)

sqali HB User
Thumbs up Re: Discoloration of Skin

Hi, Thanks. From your experience, how can I avoid photosensitivity of the skin. Although I have reduced the dosage of Plaquenil 200 mg to one tab a day and Methotrexate 2.5 mg from 5 tabs to 3 tabs once a week.Predinsolon 5 mg a steroid, I take one or half tab in case of acute pain. My condition is under control and no major complains.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...the photosensitivity will cause you to burn and cause excellerated melanin spots on the skin. The only way to prevent them would be avoidance of the sun, using a block on the areas that are already dark so that they won't continue to darken... as well as cover up with loose clothing, hat or umbrella if you're out in the sun. The pred will definitely contribute to the photosensitivity and melanin darkening.

The greyish black or bluish black or grey tan areas are more than likely caused from the plaquinal...hydroxychloroquin....and the same protection regimen is recommended. Once off the med, it seems they should diminish.

Have you considered other meds used for RA such as sulfasalazine? Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) is another option you might look into. It's not a recognised treatment drug, per se, but needs to be prescribed by a doctor for purchase. If you get enough research and present it to your doctor, hopefully, he/she will allow you to try it. I have a friend who is on it, and she has definitely had much relief. Many doctors won't entertain it as a treatment. Just suggesting it as a possible option if you're interested. It will require work on your part to convince your doctor to give it a chance.

q

Old 07-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
sqali
(male)

sqali HB User

Thanks for sharing this valuable information with me. I will try to use a hat or a loose piece of cloth when I go out in the sun. At the same time, I will consult my physician about trying the other medicines which have least reactions.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you do...please let me know how it works.

q

Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 AM   #7
sqali
(male)

sqali HB User

Sure I will. Give me some time

Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Absolutely. I'll keep it in subscriptions.

q

Reply Reply