It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Need some help!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
threeboysmomma
(female)

threeboysmomma HB User
Need some help!

I went to the doctor about a month ago with major pain in my joints of my hands. Also I had several nodules that come and go on my fingers and my fingers have a weird numb sensation. I also suffer from extreme fatigue. The doctor ran several tests and one came back positive. It was an ANA 1:320 with a neuclolar pattern. I've seen a rheumatologist who sent me for a ton of X-rays and more labs. The X-rays have all coke back normal and I get the labs next week. Could I have a false positive ANA?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmomma View Post
I went to the doctor about a month ago with major pain in my joints of my hands. Also I had several nodules that come and go on my fingers and my fingers have a weird numb sensation. I also suffer from extreme fatigue. The doctor ran several tests and one came back positive. It was an ANA 1:320 with a neuclolar pattern. I've seen a rheumatologist who sent me for a ton of X-rays and more labs. The X-rays have all coke back normal and I get the labs next week. Could I have a false positive ANA?
ANA can be positive in a number of conditions. It is rather nonspecific, but with this titer level, pattern and your symptoms, I doubt it is a false positive. The other tests and xray results should yield some helpful information. I am glad your rheum is checking it out further. Feel free to share your results when you get them, or write if you need support while you wait.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
threeboysmomma
(female)

threeboysmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
ANA can be positive in a number of conditions. It is rather nonspecific, but with this titer level, pattern and your symptoms, I doubt it is a false positive. The other tests and xray results should yield some helpful information. I am glad your rheum is checking it out further. Feel free to share your results when you get them, or write if you need support while you wait.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
threeboysmomma
(female)

threeboysmomma HB User

I got the X-ray reports backs bs they were all within normal limits. I go a week from today to get the final results. If all my tests come back normal what do I do then? I feel pretty panicked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post

Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmomma View Post
I got the X-ray reports backs bs they were all within normal limits. I go a week from today to get the final results. If all my tests come back normal what do I do then? I feel pretty panicked right now.

Normal xrays are a blessing so rejoice that your joints do not show damage. That alone lessens the likelihood of rheumatoid arthritis. Lupus typically does not cause joint damage like RA, but does cause pain and sometimes swelling. There is still the chance that your blood tests will provide additional clues, so you may have a better idea soon. Keep in mind though that autoimmune diseases can take a long time to diagnose. That doesn't necessarily prevent treatment of your symptoms though. Hang in there. You're on your way to finding out what is going on.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
threeboysmomma
(female)

threeboysmomma HB User

Oh I am very happy that they were normal, it just leaves me baffled. I know I hurt and am just curious if my ANA could be false. Someone told me that my ANA could be positive from a cold??? Any thoughts? I have a lot of joint paint, fatigue, exhausted all the time, guess that's fatigue lol! My fingers have this strange numb, but not tingly thing that happens and my joints are tender and swollen.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:00 AM   #7
rosier
Veteran
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Be proactive with the doctors and ask questions. Never be afraid to ask a doctor for information. Sounds like you may have RA, or many other problems. Please talk to your doctor and ask questions, that is why that person is a doctor in the first place. You have questions and the doctor has the answers. Joint pain is a daily problem to control My mother had RA for most of her natural life. Good luck in searching for answers. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you tried any anti inflammatories? If an Aleve a day takes care of it, you pretty well have your answer.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
threeboysmomma
(female)

threeboysmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosier View Post
Be proactive with the doctors and ask questions. Never be afraid to ask a doctor for information. Sounds like you may have RA, or many other problems. Please talk to your doctor and ask questions, that is why that person is a doctor in the first place. You have questions and the doctor has the answers. Joint pain is a daily problem to control My mother had RA for most of her natural life. Good luck in searching for answers. Hugs for today.

I saw the doctor today and my ANA has dropped to 1:160, which he said was a good sign that I don't have an autoimmune disease, however I was positive for a B27 antigen so he is doing an MRI. I'm really frustrated. I wanted a definitive answer today. He also started me on an anti inflammatory because 1000mg of naproxen doesn't do anything for me.

Reply Reply