It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Hi All and First Rheumy Appt

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Michnseamas
(female)

Michnseamas HB User
Hi All and First Rheumy Appt

Hi all, thank you for all you do. I have been reading lots and decided to join.†

A bit of background; †I'm 30, active but overweight, very physically demanding job for 12yrs. For about 4 months I have been experiencing increased stiffness and pain in joints in hands. Symmetrical.

Pain in feet and knees, extreme fatigue (which good lord, I'm sorry people deal with that) night sweats and fevers and swelling of hands.†

Initially ESR was 22 and 23, no RA factor, but ultrasound on hands came back hot on both hands first 2 fingers and thumbs.†

GP suspects early rheumatoid, so I had my first rheumatologist appt Thursday which was a cancellation.†

It was good, got along great, he shops at my store, then I got in the gown and he barely examined me.†

Proceeded to say I had normal bloodwork and ultrasound and no swelling. Though with my family Dr for 3 months we've discussed all findings and I have all results saying the opposite and my right hand in particular was more swollen and red that day.†

He says he thinks I have Anthragias (spelling?) But I told him that pain is least of my concerns compared to stiffness and weakness.†

Wanted to give me anti-inflammatory meds (but I have no swelling?)

Very confused and wondering how others initial appts went?

Should I monitor and get another opinion?

I am seeing GP in one week. I have increased burning sensation in palms that keeps me up, and a feeling of knots in my forearm muscles. Have also developed a nodule on my middle finger that rheumatologist didn't look at when I brought it up.†

Yuck all around, any info or guidance is welcome... I'm feeling lost. I definitely don't want RA but I need to know how to manage my life if things are progressing.†

Much love to all.†

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hi All and First Rheumy Appt

Well, you don't have to have swelling with inflammation. Not sure why you equate one with the other. Have you tried Aleve? It's the best OTC anti-inflammatory and possibly could work for you till your numbers support RA meds. Also, could it be osteo arthritis? You didn't say what med he wanted to prescribe so maybe he was thinking an osteo med instead? Just some thoughts...

Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Michnseamas
(female)

Michnseamas HB User

Thank you for your reply and input, its very helpful. I'm sorry to say that yes I did associate inflammation with swelling, thank you for clearing that up for me.

The anti-inflammatory he prescribed is Meloxicam 7.5mg twice a day. He said I should only have to use it for 3 or so weeks.

He was also very adamant he believed it was not any sort of arthritis. He told me that very bluntly. However thank you for bringing that up, it's another avenue to explore.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Meloxicam is a good one....not as strong as some scrips so should not have any side effects. I'd certainly give it a try. Worked well for me till I turned up allergic (happens to me frequently unfortunately). If you'd prefer not to take a prescription med, Aleve (generic is naproxen) is very effective as well.

Reply Reply