It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Question about rheumatoid factor

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
    louiset

louiset HB User
    Question about rheumatoid factor

Hey everyone,

I have symptoms such as shaking/trembling of the joints in my fingers, loss of muscle around some joints in my body such as elbows, a few other things such as pain in the joints. I am 30 years old but since a child have had joint pain on and off. I have heard that rheumatoid factor is not always positive for all patients and that arthritis can be seen from examination so I'm a little confused but anyway my RF on blood test came back as <20/IU ML. Does anyone know how this can be interpreted? I have read both that > (more than) either 20 or 15 IU can be the boundary for a positive marker of rheumatoid factor antibody.

Thank you xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Question about rheumatoid factor

Are you being tested for RA specifically?

There are many autoimmune issues that can cause your symptoms...do any of your other blood tests lean towards something?

q

Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

What specifically is your doctor testing for? My mom has Polymyalgia and this is an autoimmune disease which presents exactly like arthritis...she also has rheumatoid arthritis, which is not the same as "regular" arthritis..in both cases her Rh factor is < 20. Did you doctor look at your SED rate? This is for inflammation.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
    louiset

louiset HB User

[QUOTE=MSNik;5495411]What specifically is your doctor testing for? My mom has Polymyalgia and this is an autoimmune disease which presents exactly like arthritis...she also has rheumatoid arthritis, which is not the same as "regular" arthritis..in both cases her Rh factor is < 20. Did you doctor look at your SED rate? This is for inflammation.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much,

Well based on my symptoms, RF was one of the things as I wanted to check. My mum also has arthritis, she has RF 20 too, but my mum says that she knows I have RA very clearly from touching my hands. It's very easy to know when someone has arthritis in their hands, just the way they look and feel, it's so clear. When I go back to the doctor I will mention it. I was just curious about the blood test results. I think my result while not elevated, was nonetheless a positive RF antibody response. Unfortunately I find that many doctors don't often believe you if the blood tests don't verify what you say and don't bother to examine your joints that much at all which is sad as not everyone has the antibodies but they still have RA.

Last edited by louiset; 06-15-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add, ESR came normal, however normally it is higher. Perhaps it can go up and down?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...my RF is 117, but I don't have RA.
    Did you have C3 and C4 complement tests done?
    q

Reply Reply