It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Ankylosing spondylitis

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
    nance484
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nance484 HB User
    Unhappy Ankylosing spondylitis

I wanted to ask a question to anyone with experience with this. It has been suggested by a Dr i may have this but i am quite nervous and unsure about my symptoms:

I have had years of multiple raised inflammatory markers without being able to find a reason why, in addition to skin rashes and bouts of plantar fascitis and one bout of costochondritis.

I have had back pain for several years but it only every bothered me in the mornings, it would wake me up and cause me to get out of bed and move. I put it down to bad mattresses and sleeping positions. However it used to be mainly if i lay in, this has gradually awoke me earlier-it now wakens me at 3-4 am. The pain is currently on my right side mostly but has been both in the past and alternated.

In terms of pain i am having a hard time understanding if this is what ankylosing spondylitis feels like. The worst pain is in my lower back and if i do not get up and move it stretches around to my right flank. The bottom of my ribs at the back feels tender on one side.

The pain is mainly an aching pain, but can feel slightly sharp more so like a sharpness that comes with stiffness. When i bend forward, sideways or twist i can feel this and my lower back feels tight. It feels like i should not force my body to bend a certain way.

The pain and stiffness take several hours to ease in the mornings. I find myself stretching in the bed, sitting and hanging over the edge of it to stretch my back out. I am now finding the best way for me to lie at night is totally flat on my back with no pillow.

The more i move the better i feel and things loosen up, a hot shower also helps. Anti-inflammatory meds help with pain and stiffness also but are not taking it away completely. I am finding that i am having problems more now during the daytime than previously and if i stay sitting or standing for too long i get stiff and sore again.

With this getting worse, i have stupidly googled my symptoms and am now worried i have bone cancer. I am trying to reassure myself this would probably not improve with hot showers and stretching/movement.

It will be a while before i can get an MRI or blood tests. I was hoping someone this it could shed some light on these symptoms and if this is normal for ankylosing spondylitis. Particularly has anyone had flank pain?I would really appreciate it.

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Ankylosing spondylitis

It could be though you don't mention any bending of the spine. The two people I know with this condition are stooped forward. But it could also be a bulging disc, a cracked vertebra, etc.. I'd certainly wait till you have the MRI to make any real judgments.

Reply Reply