It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Osteoarthritis vs post traumatic arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2001, 08:18 PM   #1
    Michele0789
    (female)

Michele0789 HB User
    Question Osteoarthritis vs post traumatic arthritis

Can someone help me understand the difference between osteoarthritis and post traumatic arthritis. I am new to all of this and trying to educate myself. I apologize if some of my questions seem dumb.

I am 30 years old and was in a car accident in Feb. I fractured (basically crushed) my ankle and also fractured my right hand. My orthopedic doctor is slowly and gently letting me know how this injury is going to affect me for the rest of my life. He has mentioned several times that I will have severe arthritis in my ankle. The two types of arthritis that I have heard mentioned in relation to my injury are osteoarthritis and post traumatic arthritis. In this type of situation is arthritis something that I am going to suffer from immediately or will the onset of symptoms take a while? I know that this next question is probably not something that can be answered, but if anyone can give me any insight into this issue. How debilitating can this be? Will I still be able to play tennis and remain physically active? Is it possible that it will get to a point where I will not be able to walk? Once again, I apologize for my ignorance. Thank you for any information that you may be able to provide me.

Michele

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2001, 02:53 PM   #2
    Mattsmummum

Mattsmummum HB User
    Michele, I fell down our basement steps 9 years ago. Within weeks I got this terrible ache in my arms, like a toothache that would not go away and I could hardly move. I ended up in the emergency room and nothing showed up on x-rays. About 2 weeks later my knees started to ache, stairs were terrible and then my wrists would not function without severe pain. I had some blood work that indicated rheumatoid arthritis and was sent to a wonderful rheumatologist. He said that my RA was very aggressive and he was going to treat it the same way. I was put on several medications, my knees were drained of fluid a few times and shot with cortisone. After about 8 months of moderate pain (adjusting to the meds) I was on maintenance meds for another 4 years. I now remain medicine free for the past 5 years and stay extremely active. My rheumatologist said that a bad accident can cause these symptoms to appear and to just stay active and positive. He told me to come see him again if I needed him, but I was released from medical treatment. I don't know if this answers your question and everybody is different. If arthritis is involved make sure you get a GOOD rheumatologist.

Old 06-20-2001, 03:49 PM   #3
    Michele0789
    (female)

Michele0789 HB User
    Lightbulb

Thank you for your reply. I guess I did not realize and am quickly learning that the onset of arthritis symptoms can happen now. Initially, I thought for some reason that it would be several years down the road before I noticed any problems that were related to arthritis. I have been experiencing a lot of ankle pain the last couple of weeks (more then usual) I assumed this was a continuation of healing pain as I am slowly progressing to walking without crutches. I explained to my physical therapist today that the pain felt different. After asking a bunch of questions and looking at my ankle he said he thinks this pain is due to all of the cartlidge damage. I am just not sure what to do at this point, if there is even anything that I can do. Any suggestions are welcome!! Also, can someone tell me exactly what a rheumatologist (sp?) is? and what to expect the first time I see one. Thank you!

Old 07-23-2001, 08:49 PM   #4
    splash

splash HB User
    I broke my foot and was told I would automatically get degenerative joint disease (djd). That was 3 years and 2 surgeries ago and the xrays have already said I've got arthritis. What I gathered the last 3 years is that djd is the same as osteoarthritis except it is a more rapid form of arthritis. So for me, the more I use it, the quicker it will get worse. I am not a doctor but tried to find the answer to this question for the longest time. This is the only conclusion I could make. There isn't a lot of info on djd so I always read the osteo articles. Hope this help.

Closed Thread