It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Ultram question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
    legaldiva007

legaldiva007 HB User
    Question Ultram question

I currently take Vioxx for osteoarthritis. With the negative things I have been reading about it lately, I am considering switching to Ultram. Will someone please tell me the pros/cons of Ultram?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
    pinecone

pinecone HB User
    Ultram is like an upper for me. It does help the pain.
    Talk with your Doctor. Bextra might be a better choice for you. I found Vioxx did not help me......but some folks it does help.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
    Glitterygrl

Glitterygrl HB User
    Ultram is definitely an upper for me too, I don't know what I would do without it, I don't however abuse it, I only take three max a day. The cons of this drug are nausea(when you first start taking it), some people are prone to seizures when they are on this, its hard to know how your body is going to react to a particular medication, not just Ultram.
    It definitely helps with pain.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
    Theodora

Theodora HB User
    Ultram gives me a sense of well being, too! I take 50 mg twice a day, which takes the edge off my neck pain (it always hurts at the base of my head; relentless). It's far superior than celebrex, bextra, tylenol, aleve, for me at least. I'm scared of being addicted, so I'm keeping my dosage low. It gives me a dry mouth & curbs my appetite sometimes. These side affects almost disappeared after 3-4 weeks.

Old 04-09-2003, 04:38 PM   #5
    studhorse

studhorse HB User
    Hi, Ultram is nothing more then tramadol. Its just alittle stronger then asprin. You take take up to 8 a day. I believe that is the limit the FDA has set for that medication, Like all meds your body will get used to it after awhile and it will not work, I was on it for a year and a half. If you can get a doctor to get you Panlor SS that works great on the spine. That is what I was switched to when Ultram didnt work anymore.
    But it is like the rest your body will get used to it after awhile..Good luck and take care

Old 04-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #6
    avcat9

avcat9 HB User
    I was only taking 2 ultrams 50mg a day but the withdrawal I experienced after stopping them was something awful. I was taking them for cervical spine degeneration/stenosis. Has anyone else experienced awful withdrawals when they ran out of them or stopped them?

Old 05-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #7
    brad61tn
    Inactive

brad61tn HB User
    Ultram should be considered a narcotic. It's right on the edge and you can get addicted to it. It's touted to give as much pain relief and taking two Percocet tablets. I highly doubt that. It possess no antiinflammatory effect. It's purely a pain pill.
    I would recommend it but you should also be taking an NSAID if you can handle it.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:58 AM   #8
    donna-virginia

donna-virginia HB User
    Why is it, by the way, that they don't seem to want to give you Percosets? I have tried a few times, but no luck. Is it because of the addiction possibility? I had a few left over from another surgery, and it really worked great on the pain. -Donna

Old 07-26-2004, 07:40 AM   #9
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User
    Re: Ultram question

Ultram, Ultracet, Tramadol and the like are considered synthetic opiods but not as strong as Percocets, Darvocets etc. That is why you withdrawl and get the "well being" feeling from them. These are getting prescribed more for pain these days if the pain is mild or until and if the pain gets worse.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

When I run out of Hydro's I take Ultram. It does take the edge off the pain and it's not sopossed to be addicting but I disagree.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:36 AM   #11
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Ultram is a pain pill, Vioxx an anti-imflamatory. Switching meds will help with the pain but never the swelling associated with arthritis.
    Ultram is addicting as addicting as any other narcotic out there.It is being looked at to reclassify it's schedule. It might be "non narcotic" but now they are believing it is in fact narcotic and therefor the reclassification. There are definately withdrawals associated with the sudden stop of Ultram after taking it for any length of time.

Side effects vary. For me it causes heart palpitations and inability to sleep (for days on end). If you have similiar problems do not drink caffiene with it or when on it.

The reason doctor's won't just give you Percocets is three fold.

First off if they start you on a stronger medication your will build a tolerance and then will require much stronger meds to be effective.

Secondly it is a narcotic and therefor highly addiction

Lastly regular does will not prescribe the higher scheduled drugs because of the fear of addiction as well as the laws. Doctors can only prescribe a certain amount of narcotics to a patient in a given period of time, when they exceed that amount a red flag goes off and they are investigaged for innapropriate prescribing and can loose their liscense as a result. The amount may vary from state to state.

If you have chronic and severe pain on a daily basis and are on anti-imflamories as well as pain medication you might condsider a pain management doctor. They are not goverened by the same prescribing regulations as standard doctor. Be advised however that they deal with serious pain not just pain that puts you a little on edge or is intermittent so they may not be of any use to you if you fall into that category. Furthmore do not expect a PM to get rid of all your pain. Their goal is about 50 - 60% for serious pain paitents but if you get near 80% you are doing really well.

Realize also that pain management isn't just about pills. You should also be seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to learn ways of coping with pain on a daily basis. It is a good idea if you can afford it via medical coverage to partake in a pain management program. They usually last about 6 weeks and while not everything in the class is helpful you do learn some various ways of dealing with pain such as focusing and meditation as well as various water exercises. I recommend it for anyone with chronic pain. I took a class years ago and learned some good coping skills. The exercises bout killed me but otherwise I did learn some decent things that still help me to this day.

Last edited by Kissa; 08-02-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #12
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Kissa,
    Thanks for the reply, I never knew that about Ultram.
    Good information!
    Take Care-

Sara

Old 08-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #13
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Is Ultracet the same? My Dr put me on a few days ago cuz vicoden gave me a stomache ache and ultram gave me a sense of well being to but he wanted me to try this and see how I fair. I haven't had a chance to look it up but isn't it like ultram?

Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Yes it's tramadol with aceptaminophen. It too is addicting as well although they claim that it is not. The FDA is looking at reclassifying it to a narcotic.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #15
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Ultram gave me migraines so bad I threw up. Had to take them a couple days for shoulder pain.
    I used to take pain killers recreationally also and ultram should definately be considered a narcotic.

Aries872

Closed Thread