It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• High Blood Pressure and Arthritis Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Post High Blood Pressure and Arthritis Meds

Hi guys

First, thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I have a very serious question on which I would truly appreciate your feedback.

My mother, 53-yrs-old, has arthritis in her hip, knee and ankles. She is in severe pain 24hours a day, and is severely limited in the activities she is able to do. She used to be an avid hiker, runner and biker, and now she is limited to only walking short distances.

Her doctor told her that there was not much he could do for her in terms of meds because of her high blood pressure mecication, Maxide. This was almost 2 years ago. I am certain that the medical community has to have developed something in the last two years, and want her to make an appointment to be re-evaluated.

Do you have any suggestions for medications which are effective for patients being treated cocurrently with high blood pressure? I would like to have her prepared with some suggestions for her doctor when she goes into her appointment. I hate to see her suffer needlessly if there is a medicine out there that could help. I would do anything to be able to see her hiking again.

Thanks a million for your time and consideration.

Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 AM   #2
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Anyone out there know anything about this? I worry so much about my mom!

Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 AM   #3
    Kris123

Kris123 HB User
    Smile

Hi,

Don't let the doctor discourage you or your mom. I take enalapril for my blood pressure and I take vioxx for arthritis, and there are many different arthritis drugs(been on many different ones myself) and lots of blood pressure meds. The only effect my arthritis meds has on my blood pressure med is it makes it a little less powerful, so I have to take a stronger dose of the blood pressure med. My best advice for you is to get your mom to see a rheumologist and let him get involved with your local doctor and find out what is best. They might have to change her blood pressure meds, but its not the end of the world.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
    FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy HB User
    Hi Sara...this is just my opinion and I am not a medical professional. To start with I believe your Mother needs a new doctor!! I agree with Kris,she should not have to suffer b/c of blood pressure medication. I was taking NSAIDs along with b/p (Tiazac)medication before I started having kidney problems and I could have used pain medication if I would have wanted to. I'm not familiar with that b/p pill you mentioned(Maxide). I'm wondering if that could be Maxzide which is a diuretic used to help lower b/p. If so,I take that along with my b/p medication. Go with your Mom to the Dr. if you can and SEE that she gets some help...she should not have to suffer. Please keep in touch. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
    HikingFan

HikingFan HB User
    Thank you Kris and FlowerFairy!

I fowarded both of these messages along to my mom and she was truly touched at how strangers are willing to take time to help eachother out on these forums. We both really appreciate the time you took to respond!!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sara

Old 08-10-2003, 05:00 AM   #6
    FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy HB User
    Hi Sara,
    Your most welcome...thank you for looking out for your Mom. Tell her to come on the board...I would love to chat with her as would a lot of other people. We're all basically in the same boat and here to support and share experiences.

Old 08-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #7
    Jannie Mae

Jannie Mae HB User
    Hi, Hiking Fan! I'm 66, have osteo in knees and shoulders. I take Univasc (generic Moexipril) 15 mg daily for bp and Celebrex 200 mg daily for arthritis. Works for me--no side effects or interactions, and my bp this week was 110/80. There are literally dozens of bp meds-suggest your mom get a second opinion on hers. I never heard of a situation where someone couldn't use some type of pain or arthritis meds if they were on bp meds. Also would like to suggest she look into some type of aquatics program-water exercises or swimming. Physical therapy and senior centers and health clubs have them. A lot of people like warm water, but I prefer cold myself, with dip in hot tub after. I swim and push water around several days a week, 20-45 minutes at a time, and it really helps joint mobility. No pain when you're floating in water! For me, that type of exercise also helps mental alertness. Also, when the shoulders act up I've found that physical therapy, PT including ultra sound and iontopheresis treatments (the latter is applying an electric current and medication to the affected area) help a lot. These days, one has to be really aggressive with their healthcare providers, and often do a lot of trial and error to find something that works. Best wishes to you and your mom.
    Jannie Mae

Closed Thread