HealthBoards (
-   Arthritis (
-   -   knee pain (

Meadowlark 08-13-2003 06:07 PM

knee pain
Hello, Been having quite a bit of knee pain thought I had pulled a muscle went in and my doctor wanted an x-ray. She said I have arthritis in that knee but didn`t really say much more oh, gave me some pain pills and talked about therpy as an option I`m 58 and never really have had many problems with my legs other then veicourse veins. Is there a name for this type of arthritis? I`m sorry I don`t sound very knowlegeable but this is really bothering me. Thank You

littlelulu1937 08-14-2003 01:43 AM

Where exactly in your knee does your pain reside? Being a former knee pain sufferer, I can suggest some self therapy, but the "where" is important.

Meadowlark 08-14-2003 06:50 AM

Hello, thank you for answering, the pain is sort of on the side of my right knee, it hurts when I step up or bend down to get something off the floor, other then that there is no pain or ache, though if I`m on my legs alot it starts to ache on the back of the knee.I realize as a person ages, parts start to wear out so to speak but will this get worse? will exercise help? Thank you again.

littlelulu1937 08-14-2003 09:38 AM

A little more location specific. Is it toward the inside of the knee or more toward the outside, i. e, right or left side? I take it the pain is more dull than throbbing?

Meadowlark 08-15-2003 09:45 AM

Hello again, You know I can`t really tell, though it seems to be on right knee on the inside part, one of my friends thought it sounded like a torn meniscus, but my doctor said it was arthritis after she looked at the x-ray.I wish i could be more specific, but it is hard to pinpoint the pain unless I bend down or step up and then it is definitly right knee on the left side.Thank for taking the time to answer me.

littlelulu1937 08-15-2003 10:15 AM

OK. Now indulge me.

First, go slowly & methodically all over your front upper thigh to your trunk, particularly your inner thigh, with your two thumbs & lots of deep pressure & see if you can locate any really "tender" spots in that area. This is to eliminate one possibility.

SFangel 08-25-2003 09:10 PM


The arthritis your doctor think you have is, I believe, called "degenerative osteo-arthritis", the arthritis people who are getting older sometimes have. If you got arthritis after an injury, regardless of your age, this arthritis is called "post traumatic osteo-arthritis."

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 PM.