It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Remecade Treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2001, 07:17 PM   #1
    StiffJim

StiffJim HB User
    Question Remecade Treatment

Stiffjim (32yrs old)- I have been on methotrexate and vioxx for a few years to treat Psoriatic Arthritis. It tends to work fairly well just so long as I never forget to take my vioxx. I am considering a new treatment (Remecade) which is administered via an IV at the hospital. It takes 2 hrs, once every 2 weeks to start, then every month and eventually treatment every 2 months.
    Please let me know any pro's or con's?
    Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    StiffJim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2001, 10:19 PM   #2
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
    According to the published literature remicade is as effective as Enbrel, both very good where other meds fail. Remicade with methotrexate is said to be able to reverse some arthritis. My understanding is that the Methotrexate is the more worrysome medication.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:42 AM   #3
    Ann S
    (female)

Ann S HB User
    Hi,
    Methotrexate is also used to treat some of the other autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus. Do you know if that is true of the Enbrel & Remecade? I've seen the remecade ads on t.v. for RA, but what is the Enbrel? The cost sounded astronomical, isn't it covered by most insurances? Although if they only cover 80%, that's still unbearable.
    Thanks for the info, Ann

Old 05-09-2001, 07:34 PM   #4
    StiffJim

StiffJim HB User
    I have found a little more info on Remicade(actual spelling). The drug is very effective on rhuematoid arthritis especially when combined with methotrexate. Most of the modern day drugs slow down the process but studies have shown that the combo of drugs have actually stopped the progression within a five year window.
    Remicade is super expensive at this time and does need to be infused by IV at a hospital.
    The folowing may only apply to canadians???
    The drug costs somewhere between $20,000 - $30,000 per year(unbelievable). I have been placed in a program via my Doc which covers my treatments 100% until it is available at the drug store. I am currently waiting for the hospital to book my first treatment.
    **** Everyone on Metho (men included)***
    if you are planning on having(making) a baby soon you should be off the drug for at least 3 months)

Best luck to everyone,

Stiffjim

Old 07-29-2002, 04:12 AM   #5
    kibble

kibble HB User
    StiffJim...how've you been doing with the REMICADE infusion therapy. I'm up to the 8 week mark and still using predisone (down finally to 7mg/day), vioxx (25mg/day), and 20mg methly each week (7 tablets)...I hope I can get off the Meth as it makes me feel horrible for the first 2 days after the dose intake...but, could be worse I suppose.) The REMICADE is the only thing that's controled/reduced my extreme edema/swelling and brought back funtion and capability and reduced faitigue.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
    lrminer
    Inactive

lrminer HB User
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and was on Remicade for several months. It is horrendously expensive. My insurance paid most of the cost. My deductible amounted to $30 per treatment. The doctors office told me it was around $7,500 per IV session. I am on Celebrex and Methotrexate. Remicade works terrific. It does even shrink the nodules on some people. Unfortunately for me in the end I had a reaction to it. Scary. Tightness in chest, pressure in neck, chest and head. Sort of like what I have heard about a heart attack. Scared the doctor and staff too. LOL

I am now on Kineret. This is an injectible that I do once a day. I am not enthused about giving myself a shot but this stuff works terrific for me. Whether it is good for you or not would be up to your doctor. It is less expensive. I pay a deductible of $50 per month. It costs the insurance company about $1,150.

Anymore info on these two needed feel free to ask. I will help if I can.

------------------
    Lonnie Miner

Old 09-15-2003, 02:21 AM   #7
    naughteblonde
    Inactive

naughteblonde HB User
    There is a downside to remicade though it does have wonderful effects on but arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. It makes you very susceptible to tuberculosis and other major infections so if you take it long term you must have regular tests for the prescence of infection or disease. If you already have a history of infection the docs may hesitate giving it. Apart from the cost this is something you must be aware of. Good luck with your treatment!

------------------
    'Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.'

Old 09-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
    madamkitty
    (female)

madamkitty HB User
    Irminer, please tell me more about the drug Kineret, I am on MTX now and looking at raising the dose the next time I go to the rheumy and would like to know of any side effects.

Old 09-25-2003, 05:57 AM   #9
    AussieChick

AussieChick HB User
    Thumbs down

Feel lucky Americans that you have the access to Remecade and Enbrel. I'm just starting on Methotrexate for RA after some hideous side effects from the other drugs we've experimented with so far this year...even though Enbrel is considered far better and perhaps less toxic BUT it is not yet on the PBS list in Australia...which means i can have it for a cost of $20 - 40,000 per year...on a teacher's salary, yeh right! and our private health insurance doesn't cover prescription drugs either. The only other way to access it cheaply is with a 35 page application from from the rheumy to the government proving that you've tried all other options and have RA in more than 16 joints (which i do) ...however 100% of my doc's requests have been refused so far and patients have had to stay on cortisone indefinitaly. Feel very ripped off!! So much for the lucky country. Down under is a better description in regard to this. You might have to ship me some pills over!!! I'm terrified of my first dose of mtx this weekend incase i have another allergic reaction. Would feel safer knowing i was taking the best meds on the market.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #10
    starlite40

starlite40 HB User
    Talking

Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know about my experience with arthritis. I found out I had it about 4 years ago. I've been on different drugs. At first they worked but then they didn't so I was up to 14 pills a day and me and my rheumatologist were both frustrated. I was always in pain and I had a lot of swelling in my hands and feet. Then it went to my knees and elbows. Then he mentioned the drug Remicade so I went for it. It was better than taking all those pills a day for nothing. That was two years ago and I'm happy to say that I'm doing great! I told my rheumatologist that he better check my blood again because I think I'm cured!! The only pill I take is Methotrexate once a week. I have to take that because it works with the Remicade. It may not be for everyone but I think it's worth giving it a try.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:17 PM   #11
    keithst

keithst HB User
    Re: Remecade Treatment

stiff jim
    i am on enbrell and it is like the fountain of youth.new have a problem 2 injections a week i do myself in a couple min i did the remicade but to time consuming
    for my life style. thank good my insurance covers it

Old 09-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
    Norene Maher
    (female)

Norene Maher HB User
    Cool Re: Remecade Treatment

Hi
    Considering remecade injections starting in November for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Any advise would be most appreciated. I am currently on celebrex but it is not working the way it should.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
    Ronnied
    Veteran
    (female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
    Re: Remecade Treatment

Dear StiffJim,

I read your thread with interest as there are not many people on this site with psoriatic arthritis, I have had psoriatic arthritis for 4 years and have tried all the dmards going, leflunomide, sulphasalazine, methotrexate etc, and steroids. My rheumatologist wanted to put me on remecade or enbrel but I couldnt get it as the psoriassis was not present at the time of assessment. I have heard how good it is and was quite disappointed not to get it. Do you have psoriasssis as well as the arthritis? or like me just the arthritis once the skin problem died down. I have it bad in my knees and ankles and wrists, but it is also in my fingers, elbows and neck. How do you feel most days? Do you swell up a lot? Do you get a lot of headaches? Be interesting to talk to you. Are your hands twisting or just swollen? I am tired every day, and do not work anymore. I feel guilty all the time as I feel I should be doing more, but so achy and tired all the time.

Ronnie

Closed Thread