It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• 11 years of pain, and don't know why.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
    Kazze04

Kazze04 HB User
    Unhappy 11 years of pain, and don't know why.

Hello.

I'm not entirely sure where to start, or how, but here goes....

Like all children I was active in all types of sports and outdoor activities. Then one day just out of the blue when I was about 13 years old. I was sitting in class doing a test, and my legs from my hips down to my feet hurt so bad. It felt like someone was trying to rip my legs off. The pain hurt the most in my knee area. I couldn't move at all. I had to be carried out of the classroom. I was on the verge of screaming it hurt so bad. It eventually went away after a day or two. Then didn't think much of it.

Then 14 came. It happened again while walking down the hall to get to my next class in school. The same pain I had before. It brought me down to the floor like my legs just stopped working. But this time, the sharp pain turned into a constant ache and discomfort. Stiffness, swelling. It didn't go away this time, it lingered. As a result of this, I finally saw a Sports Medicine Doctor. Asked the usual questions to determine the cause. Blah, blah, blah. Then asked if I injured myself somehow. I said no. The Doctor had a confused expression and insisted that I did. Unless sitting, and walking a few feet in between classes is considered an injury. Soo, the doctor put me through some tests. X-rays, ultra sounds, blood tests, observations in my gait, a bone scan revealed the cartilage in my knees and ankles showing "wear and tear", a build up in fluids, and holes. Like it was slowly being "eaten" away, stress fractures in my knees, shins, ankles, and feet. I also had heel spurs, and my big toes have a build up of calcium around the joint that is gradually pushing my toes outward. I have this in both legs and feet. So was put on a few treatments. Physical Therapy, Pool Therapy, restrictions on activities that caused impact, wore braces, changed my shoes, and put on anti-inflamitory medicine. Nothing helped really.

At 22 I became active again. I figured that my problem with my legs and stuff had time to heal since I was 14, and myself and my family keeping me away from stairs and sports and other things like that. I was careful with myself. So, I went back to running, stretching and strength excersises and the usual things 22 year olds do. Then it happened again. But this time it was alittle different. Instead of a sudden sharp pain. It was gradual. I rested accordingly when I noticed problems where starting. I did warmups, stretches, and cool downs, did heat and cold treatments, bought apropriate shoes, I took every precaution when I did activities. And yet I STILL had the same darn problems. My legs, ankles and feet swelled up so large that I couldn't wear my shoes. Went to a doctor, again. And, again. They told me the same thing I was told at 14. And put on the same treatments. For 7 months I was in the same combination of therapies. Went for my last check up, still had problems. Doctor released me from therapy.

Now I'm 24 and still have this problem, and don't know why.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread