It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Intense Hand pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
    uisceros

uisceros HB User
    Intense Hand pain

For about 9 months I've been having intense pain in my right hand. It goes down my pointer finger, and into my palm. I'm not sure what it is, and I was wondering if it could be RA. It's pretty debilitating since I'm right handed and can't write, or do much of anything else. I've been to the doctor and he said it was an inflamed nerve, but I'm not sure that's it. I just don't know what to do since I'm almost constantly in pain. I'm only twenty, but I know RA can start when you're in your twenties. Does anyone have any idea of what this pain could be?

~M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 AM   #2
    nykita29

nykita29 HB User
    Re: Intense Hand pain

I have this exact same problem. I've had it for over a year and I finally went to the doctor yesterday. She did some blood work and I had some electrotherapy which really didn't help. It merely made my hand ache. Let me know what you find out about this. I am only 32 and I hate to think that I already have arthritis!!
    -Nyk

Old 06-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
    maryms

maryms HB User

I too am nearly at wits end. Since March, my palms, both hands, and the soles of my feet, at the base of the knuckles began to ache. When my fingers, particularly my "little and ring" fingers on my left hand, became affected, I went to my internist. I also must add that I have bumps and ridges that protrude from my palms now. He referred me to a rheumatologist who ran blood tests. I had a positive titer with the ana (anti nuclear antibodies) and she suspected rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. Other tests, more or less, ruled those out, but its not definitive at this point. She still thinks I have an autoimmune disease, but would like to wait awhile before doing more tests. She put me on Celebrex, but it has not helped and my symptoms only got dramatically worse. I stayed on it for 3 weeks! I finally stopped taking it. I have trouble tying my shoes! I don't sleep well because I awaken with pain and severe stiffness through the night. All of my fingers (minus my thumbs) are affected. My hips, neck and shoulders are starting to bother me, which I admit, might be caused from stress of this condition. I also am periodically overcome with a feeling of sickness, not nausea, but something I have never experienced before. I just turned 44, and know I'm pre-menopausal, but please tell me this isn't menopause, because it really sucks if it is! I have a high threshold for pain, delivered 5 babies with no pain killer! But, this is not right, I feel awful. Sorry, for whining, I need to vent and am afraid to do so with friends and family for fear they will think I'm nuts or menopausal!

Last edited by maryms; 06-22-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I'm 54 and wake up at night and in the morning hurting all over, especially in my fingers. Then, they're stiff and I can't make a fist with my right hand. I also sometimes have pain in the back of my hands and in my shoulders. I asked my Orthopedic Dr. about my hands and he said it's tendonitis. I don't know if it is or not. I know that I have arthritis in my knees, neck and right TMJ, but I don't know what the pain in my fingers and toes is from. Someone suggested I might have Fibromyalgia. I haven't rushed to see another Rheumatologist yet b/c of bad experiences with 2 so far. I've wondered if any of my pain is from menopause too. I take Bextra for the arthritis, which helps my knee pain most of the time.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
    tiunilohmu

tiunilohmu HB User

You may try acupuncture and chinese remedy. You will have unbelievable relief on pain level.

Old 06-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
    Olive All

Olive All HB User

I've been using a homemade remedy for my hand pain. It consists of olive oil, capsium, coneflower extract, bearberry extract, shea butter and peppermint oil. So far it seems to be doing the job and only needs to be applied every other day. Good Luck in your search.

Olive All

Old 06-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
    efriend

efriend HB User

hi everine

I have Lupus , RA .. for 20 years. Last 2 weeks my hand are painfu when I move. It does hurt when I don't move my hand. I suspect your syptoms are related to autoimmune. Because when I took my medication for Lupus, the pain decrease. It only comes on when I have the flare up. I hope this help.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
    willin2hlp

willin2hlp HB User
    Unhappy Re: Intense Hand pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maryms
    I too am nearly at wits end. Since March, my palms, both hands, and the soles of my feet, at the base of the knuckles began to ache. When my fingers, particularly my "little and ring" fingers on my left hand, became affected, I went to my internist. I also must add that I have bumps and ridges that protrude from my palms now. He referred me to a rheumatologist who ran blood tests. I had a positive titer with the ana (anti nuclear antibodies) and she suspected rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. Other tests, more or less, ruled those out, but its not definitive at this point. She still thinks I have an autoimmune disease, but would like to wait awhile before doing more tests. She put me on Celebrex, but it has not helped and my symptoms only got dramatically worse. I stayed on it for 3 weeks! I finally stopped taking it. I have trouble tying my shoes! I don't sleep well because I awaken with pain and severe stiffness through the night. All of my fingers (minus my thumbs) are affected. My hips, neck and shoulders are starting to bother me, which I admit, might be caused from stress of this condition. I also am periodically overcome with a feeling of sickness, not nausea, but something I have never experienced before. I just turned 44, and know I'm pre-menopausal, but please tell me this isn't menopause, because it really sucks if it is! I have a high threshold for pain, delivered 5 babies with no pain killer! But, this is not right, I feel awful. Sorry, for whining, I need to vent and am afraid to do so with friends and family for fear they will think I'm nuts or menopausal!

Old 07-04-2004, 12:51 AM   #9
    willin2hlp

willin2hlp HB User

I know how you feel! I am 38 and have been suffering with all sorts of pain for about a year now. It started with unbearable pain in my hands and feet, my little finger went completely numb and i couldn't even hold a cup. When i visited the doc she told me she thought i had a problem with my neck/back which would be radiating pain down my arms (also painful) and to my hands. I went for physio therapy but had to stop going in the end as the pain was just too great, that was a year ago, and now i live constantly on pain killers and bouts of depression to go with it! One of my hands has changed in shape and doc thought it was rheumatoid arthritis, so i had a blood test to confirm this which came back negative, though doc said it doesn't always show up on the blood test! I honestly don't know what to do now, i'm aching practically all over most of the time, and if i exert myself i.e. gardenin even, i know i'm gonna be in agony for the next couple of days! I too am also wondering if this is an early menopause, if it is, it stinks! Keep your chin up and just remember next time when you're in pain, i probably am too, lol, sorry, but i have to keep a sense of humour, it's all i've got left! If you find out any miracle cures please let me know!

Closed Thread