It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Anybody know anything that helps Gout?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
    DeDe Sunshine

DeDe Sunshine HB User
    Arrow Anybody know anything that helps Gout?

Hello,
    My Husband has Gout and we are having a time trying to keep it under controle. He just had an attack 3 weeks ago and now its starting again. I have cut him almost out of the red meat, Beans, and processed foods. I have made sure he drinks 8 glasses of water a day. He has ate 4 pounds of cherries in the last two weeks ( we were told they would help). I dont know what else to do. He is on indomethason(sp?) and takes it daily.
    Does anybody have any other ideas? Do you know of a diet that will help him? Any help with this would be REALLY apreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
    Murphy

Murphy HB User
    Re: Anybody know anything that helps Gout?

I feel his pain! I've had flare-ups off/on for 15yrs. Tried many folk remedies. Cherries
    didn't work & doc laughed, yet he then said try 100% cranberry jc. I did & it lessoned
    length of days. 8oz a day helped. Mine is always just below big-toe & swells, red-hot
    appearance, breathe on it & I'll kill U! Fast relief is elevated up on a pillow w/ a bag of
    frozen peas gently wrapped in place w/ ace bandage. Yes, peas. It contours & shapes
    easy. I have special sandals that don't touch that area when it hits. Mine is triggered by hot tight shoes, tomatoes or hi-acid foods. The bed-sheet feels agonizing so I
    sleep w/ sock on, outside. Indo. rx is good but bad on stomache if taken too long. I
    get great results w/ otc Orudis KT or generic ketoprofen & ice. Found beer/wine was
    ok but hard-alcohol caused flare-up. Once I had injection & really helped until I got it
    fine tuned to my triggers. Mexican food, also was a problem but 1x a week was ok.
    My ski boot also was a problem so I had it heated-reshaped & used those foam rings
    over inflamed area later. Mine started in my 30's & usually runs in families except I'm
    the only one? It can be very painful & not an old-mans' problem to laugh about. Orudis use to be an expensive rx. 10 yrs ago, I pd. $125 for 30. Now it's the cost of
    asprin. Try my suggestions. Heck, I KNOW you'll try anything by now. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

I had my first attacks in my 30's also.
    With the pennies a day for ALLOPURINOL (200 or 300 mg depending on how I'm eating,) and I can avoid attacks completely.

My LAST attack about 3 years ago was MURDEROUS and was triggered by a weeklong chocolate pigout (Like 6-8 ounces of bunnies a day.) After 9 days crippling aggravation I called doc for some COLCHICINE...16 pills and 20 hour later the pain disappeared. I'd never be without a bottleful!

ALLOPURINOL is a godsend and allows you to eat whatever you want (except 5 pounds of milk or dark chocolate .) It has changed gout from an eventual death sentence to a mere addition of 2 pills to one's daily vitamins.

Annual (or more often at first) to make sure you're keeping uric acid below 6.0 (or BETTER 5.0) are a very good idea.

(ps...All I got from cherry juice was POOR- that stuff is $$PRICEY$$!)

Last edited by zip2play; 07-01-2004 at 05:21 AM.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
    SpyGoddess

SpyGoddess HB User

undefinedundefinedundefinedMy husband has gout of the ankle, we noticed if he drinks beer or alcohol that contains grains.. which is most of them...he gets an attack. He takes indomaicin <sp>. He also take allupronil. They both seem to help him a lot. We watch what he eats....red meat, anything high pruine: Sweetbreads
    Anchovies
    Sardines
    Liver
    Beef kidneys
    Brains
    Meat extracts (e.g Oxo, Bovril)
    Herring
    Mackerel
    Scallops
    Game meats
    Gravy, Limit meat, fish and poultry . Try other good protein food such as low fat dairy products, tofu and eggs.
    choose leaner meats, foods prepared with less oils and lower fat dairy products. These are just some of the foods that we watch out for. Peas, beans, mushrooms, cauliflower, or spinach are also high in pruines. I hope this helps!!

I don't know the pain of gout ... but watching my husband in pain from it is horrible. I hope your husband gets better soon. He also may want to see a nutrionist to help him out.

Peace and Hugs,
    Wanda C

Old 07-11-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
    Lipant

Lipant HB User

My late husband had very bad gout and also had high blood pressure, which was a bad combination. I did a bit of research with my pharmacist, who used a big book she had about natural supplements. We came up with a daily supplement of Vit. E, Folic Acid, Vit B Complex, some essential oil that I forget now, etc. There were about 5 daily pills. This kept him gout free for 3 years until his death of an aneurysm two years ago. Try this .. maybe talk to a pharmacist who may help you with the research.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeDe Sunshine
    Hello,
    My Husband has Gout and we are having a time trying to keep it under controle. He just had an attack 3 weeks ago and now its starting again. I have cut him almost out of the red meat, Beans, and processed foods. I have made sure he drinks 8 glasses of water a day. He has ate 4 pounds of cherries in the last two weeks ( we were told they would help). I dont know what else to do. He is on indomethason(sp?) and takes it daily.
    Does anybody have any other ideas? Do you know of a diet that will help him? Any help with this would be REALLY apreciated!

Old 07-11-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Cool Re: Anybody know anything that helps Gout?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeDe Sunshine
    Hello,
    Hi

Think you might be helped by the results of a:

Recently completed 12 year study of 47,150 men which was recently posted/published in the New England Journal of Medicine Dated March 11 2004.

Title:

"Purine-Rich foods, Dairy and Protein Intake, and the Risk of Gout in Men"

Team was Led by: Dr Hyon K. Choi, M.D. Harvard Medical School.

Should be available directly or from your local library. Well worth obtaining/reading.

Last edited by Subs30; 07-11-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:06 PM   #7
    sadeeanne

sadeeanne HB User
    Smile Re: Anybody know anything that helps Gout?

My husband has had 2 extremely painful bouts of gout (no pun intended). I understand that it is as bad as kidney stones, which I have had several times and can relate to. His doctor prescribed Allopurinol for him. He takes 2 pills per day and has been without any flare up for about 3 years. It has really saved his day. The Allopurinol is covered by insurance, but I don't believe it's very expensive otherwise.

Good luck.

Last edited by sadeeanne; 07-12-2004 at 10:07 PM.

Closed Thread