It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Knee Suggestions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
    linaii
    (female)

linaii HB User
    Question Knee Suggestions?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had anything similar to what I'm experiencing with my knees until I am able to be diagnosed by a doctor and some suggestions for any relief for them. They both have clicking/popping/crackling when getting up or down, climbing/descending stairs or moving certain ways; pain around the knee (especially on sides) that radiates to lower leg bone by end of day; stiffness/ slight numbness; limited movement and capabilities; hot feeling if overexerted; symptoms are better with constant movement but get very bad by night & morning and if sitting or standing in one place too long; and overall I just feel worn out and really old for my age (25).

I did see a doctor almost 2 weeks ago, but due to insurance issues, I have chosen to hold off on the XRay and bloodwork that was recommended till the insurance gets straightened out or until it becomes an absolute emergency. In the meantime I was prescribed 2 pain meds- a inflammatory for day and a narcotic for night. I've noticed a slight difference in helping with stiffness and sometimes pain but not enough to make a difference in my quality of life. I am trying out wearing knee braces during the day as they give extra warmth and more stability, but the pain, limited movement, and noises are still present. The doctor mentioned Rheumatoid Arthritis but she it could be numerous other things and won't know for sure until the testing was done. She also added it was odd to have these symptoms without having prior trauma and at my young age.

I was hoping it all would just go away by now (it's been about a month now) so I could go back to a normal life but it only seems to get worse... What can I do to help it? Walking gently thru water in a pool is about the only exercise I am able to do without too much pain. Oh and is it just making my knees worse to be climbing stairs alot? I have a 2-story house and am forced to do lots of movement up and down steps even as painful and tiring as it is...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-linaii

More background if needed:

History:
    - Have had no trauma that I can recall, no high impact exericising, am not overweight, and the last time I did weight lifting was a year ago & step areobics were done over 6 years ago...
    -The only injuries I've had was a sprained ankle 4 years ago and mildly hurt my lower back when I did weight lifting.
    -The only other activities I usually do (or use to do) are fast walking, house cleaning work, rollerblading/iceskating, swimming, and stair climbing.

Problems:
    - Right knee has always popped going down stairs for as long as I can remember... just thought it was normal
    - Left knee started popping going up stairs in mid June & unlike the Right one, I could acutally feel the pops.
    - A day later, Left knee starts feeling sore to keep bent. And by the next morning, both knees were stiff/numb feeling, painful, and hard to bend or straighten.
    - This has continued ever since and is now to the point I can't lift anything close to being slightly heavy (even a vacuum, pc monitor, or floor fan), can't squat, do anything high impact, have limited sideway movement (can't cross legs) and have to sleep on my back with pillows between & under my knees. Doing any of the above causes pain. Having clothing rub against them (ie jeans) sometimes actually gives my knee caps a weird uncomfortable, almost hurtful sensation.
    - Can't sit or stand in one place for too long or knees become stiff and painful... walking around and moving about helps the pain but then just makes it worse at the end of the day. It is also difficult to sit down on a floor and to get back up.
    - Can't go up or down steps/hills without pain, loud popping/clicking, and crackling/crunching noise in both knees (especially worse at night and early morning). While one knee is popping, the other crackles and then they switch off...depending on if I'm going up an incline or down an incline. Getting up and down from a sitting position also creates the same noises.
    - By the evening hours, the pain in the knees begins to radiate downward along the top bone in the bottom half of my legs. If I do put to much weight on my knees or over exert them, they immediately become hot feeling. I can't tell if they are swollen by looking at them but they definately feel like it.
    - I also have always had soreness in my wrists/hands if I use them to much (ie for mouse, keyboard, writing, drawing) which I always figured was early signs of carpel tunnel or something similar... and one of the fingers locks up alot. My jaw easily becomes very sore from chewy foods, gum, popsicles, etc... but no other problems come to mind that I would think are related.
    - I am tired alot but I don't know if it's related to the extra effort of just doing normal stuff anymore & not being able to sleep well... or if it's the pain meds I'm on... or both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread