It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• RH Factor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
    pemaquid

pemaquid HB User
    RH Factor

I have a question for anyone. What does tyhe Rh factor mean exactly in relationship to having RA. I know that normal is like 14 to 20 what does it mean to have a factor over 340 is this high or abnormal ?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 12:56 PM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: RH Factor

What is rheumatoid factor?

Rheumatoid factor is an antibody that is measurable in the blood. Rheumatoid factor is actually an antibody that can bind to other antibodies. Antibodies are normal proteins in our blood that are important parts of our immune system. Rheumatoid factor is an antibody that is not usually present in the normal individual.

For what is the rheumatoid factor test used?

Rheumatoid factor is commonly used as a blood test for the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid factor is present in about 80% of adults (but a much lower proportion of children) with rheumatoid arthritis.

Can rheumatoid factor be present in a patient without rheumatoid arthritis?

Yes. Rheumatoid factor is also present in patients with other conditions, including other connective tissue diseases (such as systemic lupus erythematosus), some infectious diseases (such as infectious hepatitis, syphilis, infectious mononucleosis, parasites, and tuberculosis), liver disease, and sarcoidosis. Rheumatoid factor can also be present in normal individuals without diseases. This occurs more frequently in persons with family members who have rheumatoid arthritis.

What significance does the rheumatoid factor hold for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?

High levels of rheumatoid factor are associated with more severe rheumatoid disease. This factor is also associated with a higher tendency to develop non-joint manifestations of rheumatoid disease, such as rheumatoid nodules and rheumatoid lung disease.

The answer to your question is no it is not normal by any means at all. Are you being treated for RA?

Last edited by Kissa; 08-21-2004 at 12:56 PM.

Closed Thread