It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Knee replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
    edfer

edfer HB User
    Question Knee replacement

I have several skiing friends, all in their 60's or 70's who have been told they have bone on bone and need knee replacements (including me). But I don't completely trust my orthopedic surgeon.

I had xrays and an MRI done at order of my primary care physician when I complained about pain developing in the knee after walking a mile. (I have had a knee problem for 35 years and had arthroscopic surgery dobe 17 years ago.) The radiologist said I had thinning of the cartilage in one knee and bone spurs. The primary care physician concurred but suggested I see the orthopedic surgeon to see if arthroscopic surgery could correct any condition.

The orthopedic surgeon's first comment was to tell me I was bow legged. He then worked the knee back and forth and said he could tell by the sound I had bone on bone. He would not look at the xrays or MRI but had one new xray taken with the knees bent which he said clearly showed his diagnosis was right. He told me to take Aleve and to avoid walking.

I started taking the Aleve and a week later I continue to water ski (aggresively) and a few days ago played 18 holes of golf with only minor knee discomfort. I must admit some days are better than others.

Does anyone have any comments or can refer me to a message board or other site that specializes in knee discussion?

Thanks,
    Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
    calida

calida HB User
    Re: Knee replacement

Ask your orthoped about injections of sinvisc. This is a lubricant that stops knee pain.
    Also ask your primary doctor. Knee replacemant is old fasioned and barbaric to say the least. Calida

Old 09-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #3
    Knute
    Inactive

Knute HB User

By what standards are you labeling knee replacement as "old fasioned (sp) and barbaric"?
    Once the joint is bone on bone with erosion, there are no viable options other than TKR. The Synvisc & Hyalgen injections MAY buy a month or two of diminished pain levels, same with cortisone. Glucosamine & other supplements are questionable at this point. NSAID's may mask the pain for some, but at what price to your liver & digestive tract?

Back up your opinions with some facts please

Old 09-05-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
    hermitcrab

hermitcrab HB User

[QUOTE=Knute]
    Once the joint is bone on bone with erosion, there are no viable options other than TKR. The Synvisc & Hyalgen injections MAY buy a month or two of diminished pain levels, same with cortisone.

Hi, I'm not the originator of this post, but there are several reasons not to have knee replacement. One is emphysema. One is heart trouble, and another is FEAR. Fear of uncontrollable pain. I have an odd genetic liver problem that is not hepatitis, but rather a tendency to metabolize meds super fast. I really scare anesthesiologists because they almost have to kill me to put me out. I warn them....but it is still a shock to them.

I would never consider knee replacement (I don't need it yet), and neither would my husband, and he really needs it.

Hermit

Old 09-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I've had knee problems since I was 14, I am now 38, I am a candidate for a knee replacement but refuse it right now because even though I do have pain I'm not at a critical pain level that I want to have it done and deal with such a major surgery.

To be completely honest the decision for a replacement is yours not your doctors even if you are bone on bone.
    If you can function daily, walk a mile (I'm lucky to walk to the mailbox ), play golf and water ski in my opinion no you do not need one.
    You will need one if you can't ambulate well and have extreme pain. When getting out the bed in the morning is extremely painful. Mild even moderate pain doesn't mandate the need for a replacement.

My doctor has stated time and time again while I do need one the decision is mine to make, not his. Age isn't the factor I had my hip replacement at age 27 after several reconstructive surgeries. I can completely understand what it is like when you come to the point where a joint replacement is like.

I would suggest you get a second opinion and take your MRI and Xrays or reports to him or her and get their thoughts on if you need a surgery or not.
    It does somewhat appear your current doctor is pushing you towards something you may not physically or emotionally be ready for.

The Arthritis Association did a study as well as research provening that 1200 mg of Vitamin C, preferably 1500, taken daily will slow the degeneration process and increases the time that passes by before you have a replacement. C is safe and disposed through the urine so there is no build up.
    I follow this regimine and I can also say that it has decreased some level of my pain. I have bad days and then really bad days, very few good days but it has made a whole world of difference.

A joint replacement is a huge decision to make for anyone at any age. There are risks invovled and heal time can vary. Based on your post I can surmise you are an active individual who is probably fairly healthy so you would most likely recover well from the surgery unless you have a heart condition or something else that may cause further problems.

Your situation is not a life threatening one and if you feel you can manage a few more or even many more years with mild or even moderate pain then go for it, theres no need to ever rush such a major operation.

Best of luck

Barbie

Last edited by Kissa; 09-05-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
    titansgirl

titansgirl HB User

Hi,I had a TKR almost 7 yrs ago,and was the best thing I could have done. Had arthoscopic 6 yrs. before that and my Dr.said it would buy me some time,maybe a couple of years,but it was six years before I had TKR. I had bone on bone and no quaility of life. I have done great. Whats made a trememdous difference in my life the past three yrs. was the decision to have gastric bypass surgery,(weight loss surgery),I've lost 140lbs and have done great. These were personal choices for me,my decisions only,and I don't regret either.
    Barbara

Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
    Mich2
    (female)

Mich2 HB User

My husband was told two years ago that he should have knee replacement surgery - that there was nothing else that would help him (bone on bone, etc.). He started taking Glucosamine, Chrondritin w/MSM supplements and he is still walking on that knee with minimal pain. He feels that knee replacement would be a last resort as everyone says if your active it will not last and you'll have to do it again in 7-10 years depending on abuse. He is very active so will stick with the supplement therapy as long as he can.

Closed Thread