It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Just diagnosed: Bursitis in Hip

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
    Question Just diagnosed: Bursitis in Hip

Hi ya'll I usually post in the Fibromyalgia section, but I have just been recently diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip. We thought it was sciatica (I have herniated discs at L4-5) for the longest time, but it didn't act like sciatica as the pain was mainly in my butt cheek and my hip,not down the back of my leg. I got a cortisone injection, which helped, but it's very difficult to walk at times. I have a cane, that helps take the pressure off. My doc said that if the pain was still bad they would do an MRI. I've already had the X-rays, no arthritis showed up. I didn't ask what the MRI would show ( like a dummy) so I was wondering if anyone of you have gone through the same thing. What can I expect with bursitis in my hip?

Thanks for any info.
    Have a good one!
    tk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
    badbackgrandmom

badbackgrandmom HB User
    Re: Just diagnosed: Bursitis in Hip

Mine comes and goes . When it gets really bad, my Orthopod injects it and that helped a lot at first. The succeding injections didn't work as well. Fortunately, mine has been very quiet for the better part of a year.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Injections can be helpful with bursitis however be sure not to get more than 3 in a 1 year period of time and also be sure to educate yourself on some of the possible side effects. Icing the area can help as well as anti-imflamatories.

Because you have herniated disks your problem many not in fact be bursitis it could be the result of the herniations, the pain is basically the same but will also include outter thigh pain in addition to the buttock pain. Sciatica pain is completely different and is what you indicated, down the back of the leg.

I am herniated from L3 - L5 and have the exact sypmtoms of bursa problems with the thigh pain, it in fact isn't the bursa which they first diagnosed me with some years ago. You may want to get a Lumbar MRI or question the doctor for sure just to rule that out for sure, doctors will often misdiagnose the hip pain as bursitis which of course leads to improper treatment.

You might want to check out the back boards if you are interested in differentiating the two problems.

If it is in fact the bursa, again, the typical treatments are the injections and medications but in worse case scenario the bursa can be removed or corrected to get rid of the constant pain.

Best of luck to you
    Barbie

Old 09-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Kissa: Hi! Thanks all for the info. Question. In addition to the hip pain, which is now nearly excrutiating, the pain runs the lateral thigh and ends up in my knee. My knee doesn't appear swollen, maybe a wee bit on the outside. Was wondering if anyone has this pain? The hip pain is really irritating. I see my pain doc on Sept 8th. My back is so messed up, and I'm putting off surgery until the last possible moment. I can't afford it for one thing, and I'm alone most of my time, cuz the husband works offshore for a month at a time. Anyway, was just wondering if the bursitis would radiate down my outer thigh and end up in my knee.

Thanks for your input.

tk

Old 09-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile Re: Just diagnosed: Bursitis in Hip

Hello TK
    I also have bursitis of both my hips. I experience pain in the hips and thighs. I cannot sleep on either side most of the time as it hurts to badly. When it really flare up I can't even touch both of my hips. I did get only one cortisone injection into my right hip but it only gave me pain relief for one week. But like Kissa stated, you should research and be aware of what these injection's can do to us, as this is something the doctor's don't tell us. I also take an anti-inflammatory called, Bextra which helps just a little. Because of my back pain I cannot do the recommended physical therapy that does help some people with this condition. My daughter also has bursitis in her hips and was diagnosed at age 15. She had gotten this from running a mile in gym class in those big platform sneakers. I was very angry at her gym teacher for permitting this and so was her orthopedic doctor. But my daughter had gone to physical therapy and it worked wonders for her. Occasionally she gets a flare up about twice a year and takes Vioox and that works for her. I did read on another board about a member with bursitis also stating that he had pain down to his knee at times. I am not saying that this is in fact a symptom of bursitis of the hip but this is what he had stated. Mine pain has not traveled to the knee. I do hope things go well at your next appointment.
    Jeanne

~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, Migraine's

Old 09-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

Bursitis is related to Gluten..and, also all of the disease in your signature..yup Gluten is the culprit..
    go ahead make some searches..you will see for yourself..

Old 09-13-2004, 01:51 AM   #7
    bagua
    (male)

bagua HB User

I have also been told that I have bursitis in my left hip.

Like TK I would like to know what the 'classic' symptoms of this pain are?

I do not trust my Ortho doc, he is one of those docs that juggles 10 patients at once and tries to get rid of each patient in under 5 minutes. He basically is against an MRI. He did an xray which ruled out a fracture, though this hip pain started after a very severe roller skating fall on concrete ( I also fractured my collarbone lengthwise).

Can bursitis be caused by a fall?

Strangely, I have no pain as long as my legs are bent. But when I walk or run I get severe pain, directly under the point of the bone. The area becomes very tender to the touch.

Does this sound like bursitis? Thank you for your help!

Closed Thread