It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Join Date: May 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 298
DGO1223 HB User
Question What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

I've suffered from Cervical Arthritis for several years, caused from 2 cases of bad whiplash from auto accidents. After the last one, MRI revealed 2 minor ruptured discs, which resolved w/ PT. I also have some arthritis in my lower spine which is very mild, not much of a bother right now.

I first saw an Orthopedic Dr. about 11 years ago, and had some physical therapy, which helped a lot, and a Chiro, which didn't. For the past few years I've just dealt with it. I saw a Neurosurgeon 2 yrs. ago for a cyst on L-1 L-5 and stenosis and had surgery. This surgery totally resolved my problem. I had told him about my neck, and he asked me some questions about my neck, and he said if I got to a point where I had worse problems with it, come back for a visit and he would check me out again.

Very good Doc, I liked him a lot. Before the spine surgery, (lumbar laminectomy) we tried a Pain Management for the spinal problem, where I had 2 injections to try to manage it, which did not work. Oddly enough, I had leg pain with this problem, none in my back itself.

Anyway, what kind of Dr. do I see now for treatment and management for the pain and aggravation from the neck stuff? My first thinking would be an Osteo, but what do you think?


Last edited by DGO1223; 09-02-2004 at 07:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Join Date: May 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 298
DGO1223 HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

I'm bumping this up, hoping for an answer or two.


Old 09-13-2004, 07:50 AM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MA
Posts: 34
kassy HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

A doctor who specializes is called an oseopath.. or someone who studies osteopathy. They are few and far between.. Maybe start by calling one of the big Hospitals in your area that often have a physicians referal line. There is also the route of pain management and there are doctors who also specialize in just that. Would you consider acupuncture? I was a complete non believer but had exhausted every other option I could think of for my migraines.. I swear I owe the women my 1st born.. she works miracles. No one could have convinced me acupuncture did a thing a few years back.

Last edited by kassy; 09-13-2004 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
Kissa's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: O Hi O
Posts: 2,015
Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

Your best bet if theres arthritis is of course a Rhuematologist or an Internal Medicine specialist. If you suffer from severe chronic pain at high levels you may want to also add a Pain Management specialist as well. Most PM's will not see if you if you are not also being treated by another doctor for your specific problem.
Orthopedic dr's only deal in surgical relief nothing more. Chiropractic medicine is an individual choice, it can work, and sometimes it doesn't
Hope that answered your question

Old 09-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7
dpratt HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

I'm new here, and looking for some answers to chronic OA knee symptoms and was interested in this thread. Do Rheumatologists treat OA patients too?????

Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 1,824
sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

Yes, Rheumatologists do treat OA.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17
hatcher HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

I also have cervical arthritis, along with cervical ribs, herniated disk, stenosis, bone spurs and a pinched nerve. I was diagnosed with all but the cervical ribs in March of this year. I have known about the ribs for 18 years. I have been just going to my family doctor and she is managing me just dandy. I also went to a physical therapist for six weeks and underwent traction there. I now have a home traction unit that I use each evening for 10 minutes. I went, in fact to the doctor today and she says continue with the same regime. As far as medication, I take an Aleve each night (for the general pain and inflammation) at supper and have been on Neurontin 300 mg. for the pinched nerve pain. I started out twice a day for 4 months, now have been on just one a day for the past 2 months. She said today to try not taking the Neurontin and see how I do. Hopefully, will do just fine.

So, my advice is if you have a good family doctor, they should be able to handle your problem. I'd start there anyway - you can always work your way up to a specialist, if needed.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 144
Janni HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

At this point in my 20 year career of dealing with OA, thank goodness no neck, back or hips yet, just very severe in shoulders and knees, my top priority now is working with someone I feel I can really communicate with and have confidence in. Right now, it's an orthopedist, one I finally found after going to several other orthos who were no help. So I finally found my special one, Dr. B, but we kind of plateaued out last Dec. when the ultrasound wasn't helping my shoulder any more, and we weren't ready to talk about knee replacement. So, I heard about this special arthritis clinic and thought WOW, maybe they have something new. Had to wait 5 MONTHS for first apt, they lost my pre-admit paper work, the Dr I saw was a part-time internist who didn't even examine me or get any new xrays, said sure, she'd do Synvisc, again without an exam, but nobody in the office knew how to get it authorized and sent me on wild goose chase trying to find out. So, back to Dr. B, real frank, friendly and sincere discussion of the state of things, and we're going to try the series of 3 Synvisc, and his people will do all the work for the authorization.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 2,943
mel1977 HB User
Re: What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care?

I have three bulges: C5-6, L4-5, and L5-S1. I have arthritis and DDD in all three spots. My pain levels are pretty high right now but here is what I have to offer. I saw a ortho doc who specializes in backs. He sent me to PM to get an ESI. I have that tomorrow. I was not happy with him, so I sought a second opinion from a neurosurgeon. He sent me to see a neurologist for a EMG and nerve conduction test. The NC test was negative but the EMG showed nerve involvement (pinched nerve) in my left arm relating to my neck bulge. that dr wants me to have one PT visit with gentle traction of both my back and my neck. You have a lot of options on what kind of drs to see. Ortho, neuro, D.O., PCP, and Pain management. I am playing the waiting game to see what helps and what doesn't. Anyone here use the Medrol packs? Oral steroids? I hate them, and don't want to finish it, but i know I should. I took a pack two months ago and it didn't help, so I was wondering if anyone here got relief from it?

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
So many health problems... What's wrong with me!? LdyNY General Health 10 06-22-2008 08:01 PM
My fibro is not what the sickest about Donna1964 Fibromyalgia 5 06-02-2008 09:12 AM
please help with signs of arthritis tandjsmom Arthritis 8 03-27-2007 08:43 AM
DDD vs OsteoArthritis. Are they the same? mmusilli Back Problems 13 05-29-2006 10:16 AM
anyone here with osteoarthritis? jimmyhonda Arthritis 28 05-21-2006 08:04 PM
Osteoarthritis-Now what EBM1 Arthritis 3 01-24-2005 12:54 PM
Osteoarthritis in joints - what am I supposed to think? MSUGuy02 TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 1 08-03-2004 02:19 PM
What could this be?? cinderella77 Back Problems 2 07-20-2004 09:05 AM
What Type of arthritis causes Spurs? rhyno8 Arthritis 3 03-11-2004 09:05 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!