It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Cervical arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
    SueKZ
    Inactive

SueKZ HB User
    Cervical arthritis

Hi there,
    I am new here and would love some advice and/or feedback. I found out a year ago I had a little arthritis in the C-4-5-6 region. It was "supposedly" so minimal that the orthopedist didnt even bother to write that in my chart. He put "strained neck" as the diagnosis. After several months and several Drs. I decided to get a breast reduction because I thought that would help. I had that and I didnt have ANY pain for 6 months. I lifted a heavy suitcase up a flight of stairs (dumb!) at the end of Aug. and I have been in horrible pain ever since. I saw a rheumatologist last week and my new X-ray showed the cervical spondylosis (arthritis) has gotten worse! I am dying to know if anyone who has this condition has the same symptoms as I do. My upper trapezius muscles (the ones between the shoulder and neck) are like ROCKS! They kill me and nothing seems to get them to loosen up for any length of time. The tension there is unreal! I went to physical therapy last year and that was a waste of time. I am going again now to a new therapist. (tomorrow is my 2nd visit). I am 48 yrs. old and so afraid I am doomed to be in pain for the rest of my life. The rheumatologist gave me 4 shots in my trapezius muscles because I was crying in pain. (50% novocaine and 50% steroid). I was on Bextra but it didnt help and I got off of it. I am really not wanting to take any Cox 2 Inhibitors with all the Vioxx controversy going on. Have any of you read THE ARTHRITIS CURE? What do you all think of Dr. Theo? At the risk of sounding dumb here....what is his reputation in arthritis circles? I really need to hear from you all because I am so depressed that my arthritis is getting worse and need some moral support. My head feels like it weighs about 100 lbs, and my neck is in so much pain from the weight of my head.
    Thanks for answering.
    Sue

Last edited by SueKZ; 10-07-2004 at 02:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 03:34 AM   #2
    carole35

carole35 HB User
    Smile Re: Cervical arthritis

Hi, i too have cervical spondylosis, you have my sympathy, its no fun!! I am waiting for spinal injections to see if they help. I felt exactly like you 8 weeks ago after stupidly stripping wallpaper. I am alot better now, I can walk for a good couple of hours before the pain sets in. I know what you mean when you say your head feels so heavy, The first couple of weeks I lay down almost constantly. The problems with your muscles may be spasm, I think mine was. I made sure to take the anti inflams and pain meds regularly (just stop start is no good) this builds up a 'therapeutic level'. I also used a combination of hot and cold packs - this is a tricky one, hot is good for muscle relaxation, but ice is good for the arthritis. Watch your posture, its amazing how easy it is to over stretch the neck. It does get better, just take it easy and dont stress, that can make the spasm work. Almost forgot, I also had a copurse of acupuncture for 6 weeks and I swear it helps every time it flares (and it will if I keep insisting on doing the wrong thing). Anway, good luck and let me know how you get on, CaroleX

Old 10-10-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
    SueKZ
    Inactive

SueKZ HB User
    Re: Cervical arthritis

Carole,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. It seems that very few people have arthritis of the neck. I am sorry to hear you are having such pain. I am trying to do the stuff in the book THE ARTHRITIS CURE, because I am very leery of taking Bextra or Celebrex anymore. Let me know how you are doing, ok?
    Sue

Old 10-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I've had cervical arthritis and facet joint disease since in my 30's and I'm 56 now, I have a 5 lb limit on lifting, it is a progressive disease with good days and bad days depending on how you treat yourself. I've had PT, acupuncture, chiro, many injections in the cervical neck and the trapeneze muscle over the years with some to little relief. Those trapeneze can get hard as rocks and I've had them so big and hard that it was very noticable from a distance to my neurologist. The PT neck strengthening they showed me to do at home does help and I just know what not to do anymore and live my life in spite of the discomfort. As for the Arthritis Cure, there is no cure yet, it is bunk and just another I know better than the conventional medical drs so try my method(which cost as much with no clinical trials or any way to verify results)there will always be these books that say they can cure arthritis, cancer, and on and on because there will always be desperate people looking for the miracle cure and these unethical Drs will always be there to supply the false hope for the big bucks. I take Mobic as I can't take viox or celebrex, I usually don't take a new drug unless it has been out for more than 5 yrs and let's face it, the big pharmaceutical CEO don't give a hoot about us, they down play the side effects to the Drs and to us and we all fall into it. So I'm cautious about anything I take.

Last edited by NancyH; 10-12-2004 at 03:49 PM.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
    SueKZ
    Inactive

SueKZ HB User

HI Nancy,

In that "Arthritis Cure" book (bad name for the book), he doesnt claim to have a cure. Why he named it that is beyond me. He just claims to have ways of mitigating the arthritis. Nothing of which is too weird or anything. (exercise, glucosamine/condroitin....that kind of stuff). I am going to try like heck to not take NSAIDS, if I can manage it. I would hate to trade one pain for another. (stomach issues...which I had last yr. from Celebrex). Yesterday I started doing weight machines at the gym, for the upper back (real real lightly) and I hope that will help, too....besides the ones the PT told me to do. She said I could do the machines, too...so I am trying. What kind of work do you do? Sorry if you already mentioned that. I am a substitute teacher that is on my feet all day. By the time I get home, I am a wreck. I havent worked in a couple of weeks and I feel a little better. I am dreading going back. I dont know how I am going to manage on my feet. It sets me back like 3 days for every day I work at that job. Have you ever tried the TENS unit??? I am getting a prescription for one to use at home. I figure it might help some.
    Sue

Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
    SueKZ
    Inactive

SueKZ HB User

Nancy,
    I forgot to ask you if you have ever used a TENS unit for pain?
    Sue

Old 10-17-2004, 12:25 AM   #7
    pain research
    (female)

pain research HB User
    Cervical arthritis and breast reduction?

Well, ladies, the title says it all. I have arthritis in my neck, and I've had muscle spasms in my trapezius muscles for years. Nothing has helped it at all. I'm considering having my breasts reduced to see if it might help the pain. Has anybody else considered this? I'm a 34C, and they feel heavier and heavier as time goes by. The more my neck hurts, the more I'm willing to do anything.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:35 AM   #8
    SueKZ
    Inactive

SueKZ HB User

"Pain Research" : I had a Breast Reduction last Feb. for this reason! I have the cervical arthritis and I figured it certainly couldnt hurt. I was a 36 DDD at 5' 2"!!!!! From the moment I woke up from surgery I had NO neck, shoulder or upper back pain. Then 6 months later, I lifted a very heavy suitcase up a flight of stairs (like an idiot) and since then I am really in pain. (2 months ago). Now I am in P.T. and I saw a rheumatologist who told me my cervical arthritis is worse in the last yr. (I am 48). I figure it would be even worse if I didnt have the surgery. I have to tell you that I dont think a surgeon would do a breast reduction on you because 34 C is not abnormally big. I went from the DDD to C. See what I mean? I have done a ton of research on this subject and I really dont think anyone would ethically do that surgery on you... sorry to say. [ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 10-17-2004 at 08:29 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Closed Thread