It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• OstioArthritis? What is it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User
    OstioArthritis? What is it?

Hi all,,,I was just wondering what is the diff between ostioArthritis?...& just Arthriits?

Last wk I thought i had a stress fracture b/c the pain was really bad,,today he tells me its OstioArthritis~ (my right foot). Does anyone else have this problem? I thought this was an "old" persons desease...I guess this is what i get 4 not drinking my milk~~

Any help would be appreciated~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User
    Re: OstioArthritis? What is it?

Well I am sorry you have it. There are lots of diff kinds of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common type.
    Look at the top of this page our posts are on you will notice a box marked RESOURCES. This has drop down windows to chose the arthritis info you want to goto and view. It includes links to extremely useful information.

The Arthritis Foundation has the answer to "What is it?" via this URL

[url]http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/DiseaseCenter/oa.asp[/url]

You can gain a lot of information about osteoarthritis by useing links found on the following URL

[url]http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?DISAMBIGUATION=true&FUNCTION=searc h&SERVER2=server2&SERVER1=server1&PARAME TER=osteoarthritis&x=31&y=10[/url]

Hope that helps.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-04-2004 at 10:33 PM.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User

Thank you snowmelts! Im going to check that out now~

Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

if it makes you feel any better, I am 27 and have been suffering with some kind of arthritis for a few years now. I haven't seen a dr about it for a real diagnosis, but I know it is it-all joints hurt and get VERY stiff if I sit a position for more than ten mins (if cross legged, my knees and ankles suffer) (if Knees are up to my chest, my knees and hips suffer) ( and don't get me started on my pain levels after sex-my hubby literally has to straighten me out my joints hurt so bad and get sooo stiff). I have it in all joints, diagnosed with it in my neck and back, but then have it in my wrists, hips, elbows, knees, ankles. I never drank a lot of milk, but did eat tons of cheese and I love broccoli. I was a cheerleader for seven years, and also did have a injury to both knees (hyper-extended both knees when I came down from a third toe touch)-plus I am a nurse asst and have been lifting, pushing, pulling, standing and walking up to twelve hours a day for nearly six years. I have just pushed the envelope too far this year and face a fusion of my lumbar spine and poss. surgery in my neck.
    Well, sorry that was long and it didn't give you any advice or help, but wanted to let you know it is way common (my hubby has it REALLY bad in his knees, prob. from playing rugby, football and running long distance in high school)
    Good luck to you!

Old 12-06-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User

Wow Mel, I thought I had it bad!
    I guess things could be alot worse for me?

I used to be a waitress for 10 yrs,,,& have have had my share of walking, lifting,bending,,you name it. I wonder if this is handed down from one generation to another,,or is it just a part of life?
    kinda sucks,,,being so young & feeling so old~~

Old 12-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #6
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I think we put more stress on our bodies now than generations may have before. We are more athletic, we take jobs that are more stressful for us and so on. It makes sense if you really think about it. Plus, as a population we aren't as healthy as years prior. I think a lot can be genes and a lot is lifestyle. It does suck though.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mel1977
    I think we put more stress on our bodies now than generations may have before. We are more athletic, we take jobs that are more stressful for us and so on. It makes sense if you really think about it. Plus, as a population we aren't as healthy as years prior. I think a lot can be genes and a lot is lifestyle. It does suck though.
    I do respect you Mel but I disagree with your statement. I do hope your surgery goes well. You are faceing bad surgery but it is surgery that is more perfected than was avialable to prior generations.
    We have MRI's now and prior generations did not have that. Surgery is less guess work. Anestetic is better. The operateing rooms are more antiseptic. Recovery procedures are better.

Medical science is so much further advanced that it was 20 years ago. People are MUCH healthier now. Fixing drastic problems is much easier. Certainly they cannot fix all problems but the advancements are fantastic. I am overjoyed to live is such an advanced era.

There are pills, procedures and surgeries for our bone problems that our ancesters could not take advantage of. A new method of joint replacement has recently been developed. I'm personally trilled to know that in five years current joint replacement surgery will commonly be much much simplier than it is now.

There are medicines to take to help slow down/stop osteoporosis now.

Cataract Surgery used to a major event with at least week hospital stay and months of recovery. Some people accepted the blindness rather than do the horrid surgery. Now its done as an out patient.

Same thing with Gall Bladder removal. This was very major surgery too, very major and yet today it's an out patient deal.

Humans are healthier and living much longer. My grandparents saw nothing wrong with lard and bacon. We KNOW better today. We also have lifstyles that are much gentlier on the body.

Genetic dispositions certainly play a huge part but we eat better and have more knowledge of general health.

There were hard working waitresses in my generation too but thier shoes were not as egronomically good as the ones today. Tiny improvement, but it is improvement since the shoe sole is very important to a standing walking job.

True, in general, the younger generation considers itself "athletic" but thats cuz they still have energy after work and so have time and go-power to do physical extra cricular activities.
    Lifestyles were much less physically sedate in the past.
    Work used to be less sedate with plenty of "athletic" all by itself.
    We were too tired after work to do more than go set at our kids little league games.
    We did not have microwaves or fast food places.
    There was no grocery store on every corner.
    Physically working in a family garden after school was what teenagers did instead of getting in thier car and driveing someplace.
    Children used to actually play outside instead of watch TV or set & play computer games.
    We sure didn't have the time, money or energy to play with excercise machines or join health clubs like people do today.
    AND, even with all that.. my genreation had it much easier than the generation before me..

My mothers generation used wringer washers to wash cloths, had coal furances, kerosene furnaces, out houses. (actually we had all those when I was in grade school.. right no indoor bathroom till I was in about third grade)

Oh my yes, we are much much healthier today.

There is more truth in labeling now so we even know more about what is in packaged foods we buy. This allows you to make more informed individual decisisons about what you putting into your body.

I'm part of the leading edge (age wise) of "Baby Boomer" generation.. the generation that is seeking the answers.. the generation that doesn't like growing old and has found ways to fix many of the old age problems. We are now reaching retirement age and ARE much healthier than our parents were at this same age.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-12-2004 at 08:53 AM.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

well, what I said wasn't meant to get such a response. And looking back, you are right, I mis-spoke about generations before-that was my fault and I should have known better. I wasn't trying to speak a fact, only my personal thought at the time. I work in healthcare, have for six years, my mother is an RN. I was only speaking about people MY age-no others. My husband is my age as well and has bad arthritis in his knees and ddd in his back as well, not near as bad as me. My gma sometimes moves better than me and she is 82. I agree with you 100%, we are much healthier-but that doesn't change the fact that usually people my age aren't having major back surgeries, suffering from arthritis, had six surgeries and you know, I AM HEALTHY, very infact. I just pushed my body too hard. It has nothing to do with anything but me and what I wanted to do. Shoot, my husband had open heart surgery at seventeen-he is healthy too.
    Sorry again, I should have known better.

Last edited by mel1977; 12-12-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #9
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Nah, you just ran into an old lady with a long memeory, who is proud of her generations accomplishments., that's all. (LOL)

Sorry.

I fully agree genetics can throw some rotten curve balls.

Not saying it is super easy for any generation.. certainly isn't.
    Every generations has it's own set of new mental stress factors.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #10
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

no apology needed

Old 12-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User

Well my foot feels "a bit" better,,,still sore to walk on,,& im favoring the SIDE of my foot~~
    It took a good 10 days for the Arthrotec(anti-imflamatory) to kick in~~Just wondering if i stop taking it will it get worse? Its really hard on my stomach.even WITH food~

Old 12-20-2004, 08:49 PM   #12
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Arthritis can strike anyone at any age, babies can and are born with it. Injuries can bring it on and as you age it can be more pronounced. I was diagnosed in my early 20's and as I get older it is more severe. Genetics does play a part in it but mostly it is wear and tear that our joints have to put up with that make them scream. I use to think it was an "old persons" disease as well til my niece was born with it in her foot. I've had neck injuries and hand surgeries that got mine going.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:08 PM   #13
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

As far as the subject at hand, Osteo arthritis is caused or is a result of injury to a joint unlike Rhuematoid which is often a genetic systemic type of arthritis.

Indviduals born with arthritis generally have RA not OA or a different form since it is induced by an injury not a genetic malformation of the joint. There are at least 100 different types of arthritis. Nancy is right it strikes at any age.

There's a post in here someplace where I described the differences and the likelyhood of who or how you'd have that type of arthritis, I'll have to dig it up again as your question is one of the more common ones.

Closed Thread