It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Osteoarthritis-Now what

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
    EBM1
    (female)

EBM1 HB User
    Smile Osteoarthritis-Now what

Hi I have had osteoarthritis for awhile now. I am 38 and my symptoms are starting to get worse. I have it everywhere. What do I have to look forward to in the future? My doctors are not clear on what is going to happen to my body in the future. They say I might need knee replacement in about 7 years.What about my back, neck,shoulder, etc.? What else is going to happen and does the pain get worse?
    Let me know,
    Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User
    Re: Osteoarthritis-Now what

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EBM1
    Hi I have had osteoarthritis for awhile now. I am 38 and my symptoms are starting to get worse. I have it everywhere. What do I have to look forward to in the future? My doctors are not clear on what is going to happen to my body in the future. They say I might need knee replacement in about 7 years.What about my back, neck,shoulder, etc.? What else is going to happen and does the pain get worse?
    Let me know,
    Liz
    I'm sorry that you have OA. The Dr isn't giving you clear answers because there are no clear answers to the questions you are asking.
    Some people only get a little OA, others get it in every joint. Some people with OA have a joint get so bad that they need a joint replacement and others never get that bad. There is no crystal ball to gaze into to find out what will happen in the future to one specific persons case of osteoarthritis.

Eat healthy and bananced.. do low impact excercises (low impact is easier on the joints. with OA you want to put less wear and tear on the disappearing cartilidge).

But know this: Medical science is toiling hard to find answers as fast as possible. 7 years from now there is no telling what new procedures will be available.

Just this past year a new much, MUCH less invasive procedure for complete knee and hip replacements was developed. TRUE, not very many Dr's are currently doing the new procedure because they have to learn how first, but within a few years it will be the standard.
    Even now, in most areas of the country, you can get what they call a "partial" knee replacement instead of a whole one if the Dr thinks the partial will solve the problem.

Yes, I have plenty of OA myself.
    Doesn't make me happy either.
    I wish you luck.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-18-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Osteoarthritis-Now what

Hi Liz,
    My wife (now 68 yo) had a hip replaced 10 years ago because of OA. The 3 doctors (2 Orthopedic Surgeons) she saw all said that the other hip was not far behind and she would soon need a back brace.

She started using Glucosamine and Chondroitin in early 1995 and has never had the other hip replaced or used a back brace. Her Doctors certainly do not think she has minor OA. I also think it has helped all other joints and she does also.

Her Surgeon told her to do water aerobics and walk-- that is what she has been doing for the pass 10 years. All NSAIDs cause her stomach problems so she does not take any of those for pain. She does take Salasate.

There are books available that outline the use of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM. It may not work for everyone but it has for my wife!!!

I think it's worth a try.

God Bless--- Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-24-2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 01-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User
    Re: Osteoarthritis-Now what

That's excellant advice.
    I have taken Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM since '99. I have stopped for a few months to see if I felt any diff. Yes it definately DOES help the daily knee OA pains to be less. So I did go back to it for sure. I take it every day.

However my elderly mother (77) was taking Glucosamine, Chondroitin and she began to develope blue areas between her fingers.. The elderly do get this brused look from having too thin a blood. She was taking Ĺ aspirn a day and the Chondroiton. Both are natural blood thinners so she stopped the Chondroiton and her blue areas went away. Chondroiton was the "extra" blood thinner she did not need. She still takes the Glucosamine and her Ĺ aspirn though. You can buy them seperate if you are alrady taking other blood thinners. So if you take any medications that thin blood talk to your Dr before starting Chondroiton, since it is a natural blood thinner.

Another note about the Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM that I take. It may have side effects on your HAIR and finger nails. Not everyone gets those side effects, but I do. I used to have long strong nails..now I have weak dry nails. I used to have straight hair..very straight hair all my life. Now it's WAVY and I have parts in my hair odd places that were not there before. . BUT, don't worry it does NOT thin the hair at all.
    The hair direction changes appeared about a month or so after I started the pills.. and oh my goodness..it was like it electrocuted my hair.. very uncontrolable hair!!! But it is much easier to control now and I keep it basically short.

Closed Thread