It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• juvenile arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
    tilla
    (female)

tilla HB User
    Question juvenile arthritis

I've researched the symptoms and feel that I might have juvenile arthritis. I'm 15 years old so I might be too old to have this but I'm not sure. I frequently get pains in my knees and ankles that they just cramp up and it takes a long time to get rid of.. could this be juvenile arthritis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
    Dee-da
    (female)

Dee-da HB User
    Re: juvenile arthritis

Hi Tilla,
    Even though, your symptons seem like RA or JRA, you might want to get checked for Lyme Disease too. I say this because, I know a couple of people who never got the bullseye rash that is so common with Lyme. Don't let the doc talk you out of testing.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
    hop

hop HB User
    Re: juvenile arthritis

Good idea from Dee-da on the testing. There are many things that can cause joint swelling.

On the Juvenile RA, interestingly enough, I just saw a new rheumatologist who has been practicing for 32 years. Apparently the "juvenile" part doesn't necessarily mean your age when you start showing symptoms--it is actually a descriptor for the disease itself. This was news to me. He thinks I might even have JRA and I am 39 and just had symptoms start when I was 38. According to him, in adults, JRA is often called seronegative inflammatory polyarthritis and in both adults and children, it usually goes after the larger joints, like knees and ankles, versus RA that "typically" goes after smaller joints in hands and feet. Not to say those are the only joints RA goes after or JRA--or that there is any consistent pattern--seems like the diseases manifests themselves differently in every single person.

Good luck on the tests and hang in there.

Closed Thread