It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Rhuematoligist wants me on Methatrexate after being on Prednisone for 15 yrs.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #16
mimi423
(female)

mimi423 HB User
Re: Rhuematoligist wants me on Methatrexate after being on Prednisone for 15 yrs.

Hello all, I have RA, I've been on methotrexate for a little over 4 years now, 3 pills once a week. I have no symptoms whatsoever. I do take folic acid, in the morning and in the evening. I'm not completely free of pain but it's very managable except for my elbows right now. I do have an occasional drink, my doc said one glass of wine a month was fine, I've turned that into a mixed drink once or twice a month, I don't care for wine. I am very careful not to do that on or near the days I actually take the pills. I hope this infor helps someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #17
Diane15218
(female)

Diane15218 HB User
Smile Re: Rhuematoligist wants me on Methatrexate after being on Prednisone for 15 yrs.

Actually, I was RXed Aleve in July 05 and haven't had one problem being on it with going off the Prednisone. I am also on Azulfadine so, I am hoping to be off of Prednisone and Azulfadine by the middle of December. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #18
CRose28
(female)

CRose28 HB User
Re: Rhuematoligist wants me on Methatrexate after being on Prednisone for 15 yrs.

I too have also been on MTX for over 10 years, both by mouth and by injection at different times. I feel that steroids are the meds to limit because of side effects over long use. I was on varying amounts for 20+ years. I have had eye problems due to steroid use. Ask lots of questions. Hope you find what works best for you. Rose

Old 11-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #19
JANE3558
(female)

JANE3558 HB User

I felt like u but when my RA got really bad MTX sounded like a miracle drug. I have been on it about 3 yrs and have found I feel a bit sickly and tired. I now try and take it first thing in the morning with food. Don't try it on an empty stomach. The side effects sound bad but I have not really experienced any except it is not working as well as it once did. Just remember to have monthly blood tests to make sure you are OK.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
Cometpuppy
(female)

Cometpuppy HB User

I just starting taking Meth on Sunday am. I am 42 years old. I was just diagnosed w/RA in September. Funny, how in the last two months the pain has gotten so bad in my feet, it has come on so fast. Anyhow, I too, have/had major problems with the side-effects listed for the Meth. My RA Dr. and I talked about it and he was very straight forward on all those side effects. He has been prescribing the Meth at his clinic for manymany years. He stated, those side effects are usually listed for people who are taking the drug for Cancer Cemo. The dosage that is used for people w/RA is so low, that the most common side effect is nausea/vomitting and some mild stomach pain. Of course, we are all different, but you come to a point where you have to trust your Dr. and his experience, I think. I trust my Dr. and started on the Meth along with Diclofenac. I am scared too, don't get me wrong. But, the rapid pace that my RA has taken over my body is more scary too me. I need to get it under control and I think the Meth will help. The side effects I am blocking out, the pain, I have to get under control. Give it a try, maybe it will work for you too. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #21
JANE3558
(female)

JANE3558 HB User

Comet Puppy - I found Diclofenac gave slight tummy problems. Have u tried suppositories, they bypass tummy, and dont give me any problems. Hope u r feeling better now - flare ups r awful aren't they. Jane

Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM   #22
Cometpuppy
(female)

Cometpuppy HB User
Red face Re: Rhuematoligist wants me on Methatrexate after being on Prednisone for 15 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANE3558
Comet Puppy - I found Diclofenac gave slight tummy problems. Have u tried suppositories, they bypass tummy, and dont give me any problems. Hope u r feeling better now - flare ups r awful aren't they. Jane

So far the Diclofenac hasn't given me any problems. I started the Meth (sounds funny) 2 weeks ago and nothing has happend to me.

I had a really bad flare up last week for 2 days, it really sucks, they hurt and they r awful.

It amazes me how one day with RA you feel wonderful (well almost) and then other days BAM, it just hits you and the pain is unbearable at times isn't it??

Have a great day, it's a good one for me today, we'll see what tomorrow brings!!!!

Closed Thread