It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Spikes in Pain with Arthritis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
    Spikes in Pain with Arthritis?

Hi to Anyone that can help,

I would like to know if any of yall have spikes (for lack of a better word) in pain, where you wake up and you just feel soo bad?! I do take meds for arthritis, but on some days, they just seem not to work too well. Also, how often do you get these high pain days/weeks? The first time, I got them in my hands, wrists and arms. The doctor (rheumy) gave me a Medrol pack. That helped for a few weeks. But now a month later, it feels like I am having another one - spike - but in different places. How often can you be given meds/shots for this? I read where you can only take Medrol packs 2-3 times a year. Is this correct? What else could she give me? I go back to my Rheumatologist in a 3 weeks. Any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
    FUNKYHEADGIRL
    (female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User
    Re: Spikes in Pain with Arthritis?

I have these days too -and you never know when they will come on. I started meds for my arthritis and felt great for 2 months...and then all of the sudden.....crash....I felt like crap again! I thought maybe the meds needed to be "upped" in dose but my Dr said no. I'm only 42 and feel like 82 at times!
    I have good days, so-so days, and awful days. I take Mobic, Flexiril, and Lortab for my pain. Sometimes it all works great but then I have times where it seems like nothing is going to help! Just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
    holeinheart
    Inactive
    (female)

holeinheart HB User

Hi ,tobefreetoroam,
    You are one of the lucky ones, l cant take any arthritis medications as most of them set of my other conditions, so l have to live on painkillers 24-7.
    l have medium strength ones, high strength ones & away with the fairys ones!
    When l have a bad day its horrible, l always start to feel like l have 'flu' coming first......you know that aching, nagging type pain thats all over and you dont know if you want to sit,stand or go to bed.
    After that 'bang' pain hits , somtimes it hits my hips/legs so bad l cant get up the stairs to lay down, and if l do lay down the pain then increases to a point l have to get up again, and as you know chronic pain makes you so tired, so l tend to fall about a lot and drop things or burn myself on things ( dam body!)
    If l get to a point l cant take antmore , as l might not have slept for a few nights because of it, l tend to knock myself out for 24 hours with a number of medications that my G.P. has given me for this very event.
    Sometimes l can have three or four days in a row of chronic pain with no sleep at all then a week of O.K. pain ( if there is such a thing) then another five days of chronic pain, somtimes if l'm really good ( keep warm, not over do anything, stay in the house) l can go 10 -15 days without a 'strike' .
    Hope you dont have to many 'strike days' l'm used to it now as l think l've been suffering with it for almost 35 years although l was only diagnosed with it in 2002!
    Best wishes holeinheart.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
    RikkiLo1
    (female)

RikkiLo1 HB User

I do know what you mean about the "spikes" of pain. I have had RA for going on 5 yrs now. As they said, you never know when it's gonna happen. But when it happens, nothing works fast enough! I also must use pain killers to help me. I'd say that the spikes happen at least once or twice a week... my worst one however was in December. I had such horrible pain in my left hip. I had taken my vicodin, & nothing. No relief AT ALL. The pain was so bad that I couldnt walk. I had my husband take me to the emergency room. All I knew is I wanted the pain to stop. Of course I had to wait about 2 hours in the ER, because there were children there with stuffy noses that had to be taken first. Finally, they took me back.. the vicodin had worn off before it even started to work. They had to help me out of the wheel chair onto the bed. My husband leaned on the bed... it was like he was jumping on it. They ended up giving me morphine to kill the pain... 5 shots of it later the pain was being subdued. The er staff couldnt believe how much morphine it took to control the pain. I havent had a day like that since then (knock on wood!). I hope that no one on this board ever has a day like that.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers and the info. I have been at a family reunion - just got back. No spikes there, thank goodness! But, now I hurt badly, because I over did it while gone. Anyway, I do not take meds for arthritis (I do not know if I can) but take a muscle relaxer and a light pain med. My rhuemy said she would not give me hydrocodone - but I have only been to her twice. Will go my 3rd time in July and maybe she will give me something stronger or for High Days of Pain!

Thanks for yalls help. And it also makes me feel like I am not alone in this.

Wannabe

Closed Thread