It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Agility Total Ankle Replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
    sleeplessohio
    (female)

sleeplessohio HB User
    Question Agility Total Ankle Replacement

We have all seen them. Guys who work hard and play hard. For my husband this has resulted in a number of injuries and arthritis.

You have the old high school football injury from 1969 that left him with no cartiledge. He has basicly been bone on bone since. Doctors have been wanting to do knee replacement for years, but he refused to tak ethe time of work.

Than about 6 years ago he was duck hunting and got stuck in the muck. As he was trying to get out he dislocated the hip. WHen it was popped back in the blood vessel was blockled off and (sorry for spelling this wrong) A vascular nervois set in. Her went through bone decompression followed by hip replacement 2 years ago.

5 years ago he miss steps and fell down 12 stairs. This seriously broke his ankle. They did surgery with plates and pins to put him back together. Later they went in and removed the plates and 2 pin broke off in the bone. Later a new doctor discovered the the ankle did not heal right and they had to go back in and re break the ankle and add a bone graph, new plates and screws. 3 years later he is still bruised in this area and swollen.

His 1st thumb knuckle on both hands are shot. The joint is compressing and the top of the one bone as started to colapse. They had already done a Basilar thumb corpl metacarpol arthoplasty on the left thumb. To do this they use an extra tendon in the forearm. He is having the other had done is 2 weeks. Once this is healed he will get his knee replaced. Than they will go in and removed the broken screws. After that heals they are doing an Agility total ankel replacement. He also has arthritis in the back and shouders.

Okay know that you have read the short version of the story, here is my question. He has decided to go witht he replacement over a fusion. He had wanted the S.T.A.R. replacement but it has not finished the FDA trails for arroval so this is out. Has anyone had the agitly ankle replacement done? How has it changed your liofe. What should I expectfor recovering time for my husband. He works construction and all the docotrs have said he should not return to work as this will blow both the thumb surgerys and the ankle replacement ( which as we understand it has a shortlife anyway) Have you been able to return to work and what like of work. If not was you able to recieve Social Security disability and how bad did they fight you?

Sorry for so many questions.
    Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
    sleeplessohio
    (female)

sleeplessohio HB User
    Re: Agility Total Ankle Replacement

Oh forgot, he has also had trigger thumb surgery witht he removal of a ganglin csyt. He is also diabitic and has COPD.

Closed Thread