HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arthritis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/)
-   -   Aleve not working (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/382894-aleve-not-working.html)

superola 04-14-2006 09:38 PM

Aleve not working

I have been taking Aleve per the dosage on the bottle but it does not seem to help too much. Is anyone else in the same boat and what do you do? I have arthritis in my ankles and sometimes my whole foot/feet throb. It's difficult to sleep and sometimes I can barely walk. I have just recently been diagnosed and have not told the doctor Aleve is not working. Can a doctor prescribe a stronger dose of Naproxin than Aleve contains??

Thanks a bunch!
Rosie

Mari526 04-15-2006 12:42 AM

Re: Aleve not working

You should talk to your doc about dosage changes. In the meantime, have you tried applying the arthritis creams to your ankles? I 'm talking about the ones that contain capsaicin? They might give some relief. Does warmth help?

serendipity02 04-15-2006 01:02 AM

No OTC meds worked for me. I take lortabs and get steroid shots for my pain, plus I take several other arthritis drugs. About the cream, I wish someone could recommend one that actually sinks in and gets to the pain; the ones I've used seem to "sit" on top on my skin and burn!

alinyc 04-15-2006 02:44 AM

I have RA in my entire body and just recently got off prednisone (sp) and take about 6-8 aleeve a day. I have been on so many things, I had to get off of the pred though I was sick of the weight. I haven't noticed any coming off yet but am not in anymore pain without it then I was with it. Plus it has only been like 3 weeks after taking it for about 4 years.

A

mmusilli 04-15-2006 05:44 PM

I have heard alot about Glucosamine, Condroitin plus MSM for any form of arthritis lately... I read a book called THE ARTHRITIS CURE and just about everyone I talk to about arthritis is also starting to hear about it.. It is big in Europe, and starting to take hold in the US..

A friend of mine has RA and was in alot of pain for a year and even needed a walker... She tried everything on the face of the earth, but now, is feeling just mild to moderate pain and is walking again... It is NOT just the clucosoamine, but this was part of her regimen.... Her son is a doctor (not an RA, but...) My point is that they did not tell her that it is false, and that it is a hoax.. I also asked my Physical Therapist about it and he says that he is hearing more and more about it..

It is a natural substance and has no known side effects... I am not saying this is a substitute for a good doctor, but it can help, but takes time... It is NOT a pain med, and will not give instant results.. BUT, it can help your body slowly help itself.. You can get it at any health or vitamin store...

Maurice

zoey1 04-16-2006 12:48 PM

i am not sure if we are allowed to say brands but i found one through my physical therapist that does wonders
called bio freeze can bet gotten over the net i get so hot and fatigued at times that the ones that contain a heat element just don't work for me it has to have a cooling agent in it for it to be affective for me
Also i noticed relief with ice wraps

rubyrearview 04-19-2006 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=serendipity02]No OTC meds worked for me. I take lortabs and get steroid shots for my pain, plus I take several other arthritis drugs. About the cream, I wish someone could recommend one that actually sinks in and gets to the pain; the ones I've used seem to "sit" on top on my skin and burn![/QUOTE]

rubyrearview 04-19-2006 11:37 AM

Have you tried myoflex, I swear by that stuff. It is considered a must have in the house for me, my husband had just gotten back from turkey hunting and was tired but made a flying trip to Walmart to get me a tube. I have been taken off metho and am on Plaquenel and it has not had time to work and it is like being in a terrible flare.
It really helps me with my ankles, knees, back and wrists. (I also have fibro, herniated discs and lupus.)

joanie58 05-02-2006 05:55 AM

Before the doctor confirmed that I had RA, I was trying every OTC pain reliever on the market (Aleve, Motrin, Nuprin, Tylenol, etc.) Nothing worked on my hand pain. I even tried some of those aspirin creams - no good. The prednisone that the doc prescribed DID help but he didn't want to keep me on it. He's got me on another RA med called Arava. I've only been on that for 2 days so I don't know if it's any good. Hopefully something will work one of these days.

Joanie