It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Help for Tailbone Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
    kera4
    Veteran
    (female)

kera4 HB User
    Help for Tailbone Pain

I was at my doctor yesterday, asking about pain in my tailbone area. My doctor, a Physiatrist, has been really helpful treating my facet joints. I had RFA on my facet joints, L-3, L-4, L-5, in October, which worked really well. Now it is starting to wear off, and I will probably have the procedure redone in the next couple of months. However, I have noticed that in addition, I have really painful tissue around my tailbone. My doctor said I have bursitis in this area. Any advice for tailbone pain? Thank you! Kera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User
    Re: Help for Tailbone Pain

Kera... Did doc say if you have degenerative disc disease and what about arthrosis in facet? Did you have MRI done recently? Most likely, you have osteoarthritis... Glucosamine, Condroitin plus MSM (all in one pill) can help with arthritis and bursitis.. My understanding is that this, along with proper excercise can halt, and in some cases, reverse OA.. I did alot of reading on this, and the way that I look at it is that Glucosamine is a natural substance and excercise will help me either way... I also have OA and do notice that the more I ride my bike, walk, excercise and stretch, the better I feel..

M

Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
    kera4
    Veteran
    (female)

kera4 HB User

Dear M, I have an form of arthritis similar to RA, called "spondyloarthropathy." Basically, it is an arthritis of the tendons and ligaments. However, in my lumbar spine I have DDD and one bulging disc, and I seem to have fluid build up in facet joints, L-4/L-5. So, I am on medications for my arthritis (prenisone, Enbrel, voltarin), and I have done injections/RFA. Glucosamine is a good idea since my situation is a mixture of osteo and inflammatory arthritis. I had a MRI done last summer before my radiofrequency lesioning procedure, which showed these things. I, too, have found exercise helpful. I have been to lots of PT and have a home excersise program. Part of my frustration has been my inability to do a lot of walking, because of bad knee problems(a whole other story). But, I do do aquatic exercises in my hot tub. I am just so frustrated to get this tailbone pain on top of everything else! My doctor gave me Ultram for the pain, but I hate to take it. I could only take it at night anyway, because during the day I take care of my 4 great kids! Anyway, thanks for listening-I appreciate your imput. Kera

Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

This might sound really strange but you might have a twisted tailbone. I do. I was told that the only way to untwist it is to go to a person who specializes in this area. They stick their finger in your rectum and untwist your tailbone. Only way to do it.

I am going to have X-rays done before I let them do this. I fell on my butt and that seems to be my area of pain.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User

Kera... if walking hurts, perhaps you can try stationary bike or eliptical at a gym.. Just keep moving..

M

Closed Thread