It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• psoriatic arthritis: Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 04:23 AM   #16
    katmell
    (female)

katmell HB User
    Re: psoriatic arthritis: Help!

Hi again Tina, I also meant to tell you about when I was very ill just over 2 yrs agao and was in hospital I caught a cold. A few days after going home it went to a chest infection. We had just moved towns and the old GP (Doc) there didn't know any thing about this condition and even though he knew I was on MXT at the time he prescribed me antibiotics, which lucky for me we have a great chemist who was shocked at the doctor doing this and told and gave me written info stating one of the things you cannot have with MXT was the antibiotics he prescribed. Later on when the MXT attacked my liver for the 2nd time, (Salazopyrin being the 1st) this doc thought I was a alcoholic and asked me did I drink a lot or had I had hepititis . When I told him definately not to either he said well why is your liver like this. I had to tell him that this was the 2nd medication to attack my liver, which was one of the reasons I was in hospital. He did get the reports sent to him from hospital also. He did not even know of the side effects these drugs can have on some people. Yes I quickly changed doctors. Any way it was the chemist who said about the folic acid so will querry with my NEW doc or rummie. Bye for now Kathy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #17
    mcjonval
    (female)

mcjonval HB User

Hi Katmell! I was just wondering how you are doing? Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you well? We are still battling with the PA as well as my own health problems. My husband is still having lots of trouble. I had wrote about it to Survivor. You can check that out if you want to. Let me know how you are, ok? Hope to hear from you soon, mcjonval

Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
    kscott13
    (male)

kscott13 HB User

Hi Mcjonval,
    Came across your thread while searching info for myself. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis last September. I've tried Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate. Sulfasalazine was wholly inneffective, and Methotrexate showed a little bit of promise at first but planed out. I was in the middle of a bad flare up while on the maximum dose of MTX and had been for six months, when my Rheumatologist changed my therapy to Enbrel. I am in my second week of injections so it is too early to be sure, but this last week is the only time in over a year that I have awoken to my fingers not being swollen or stiff. Still far from perfect but better. Other joints show promise too. Hope your husband starts to feel better, if you want I can keep updating on how the Enbrel is working.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #19
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi all,

I have RA arthritis and possible psoriatic too??? I will have ask Rheumy next time I see her in about 3 weeks. I just do not have the scaley bumpy fingernails!?

Just wanted to put a note in: I take Methotrexate (6 pills, 1 x wk) and my Rheumatologist told mer to take Folic Acid every day (1 per). Does not hurt anything and does not cost much. I was told that it can take frp, 6 - 12, mo. for the metho to work. It has been about 6 mo. and I can tell that it is helping some. But still take relafen and skelaxin and a tiny bit of prednisone. I am being weaned off of the pred. - pill per day. Anyway, I can tell that my puffs and stiffness in my hands (between my knuckles on my hands are coming back!

Seems like there is just no coming [email protected]

Good luck to yall.

Wannabe

Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #20
    Montui
    (female)

Montui HB User

Hi, I'm Lesley in New Zealand, haven't posted for a while but am back to say hello and help where I can.

I was diagnosed with PA about 3 years ago and have made great progress since then. I attribute that to getting an early diagnosis and having a great rheumatologist. (BTW, I have PA but no P). Diagnosis is process of elimination, there is no simple test for PA.

Doctors tend to start patients on Sulphasalazine or Methotrexate as they are the safest, least costly drugs that have been proven to have positive effects on PA. I started on Sulpha and it was OK but I developed headaches so my rheumy stopped that.

With all DMARDs, progress is slow and you may not even notice any positive effects...until you go off them and you are back in agony. So be patient. Normally you start with a low dose so your body has a chance to get used to the drug, and gradually build up. Don't get too worried with all the possible side-effects, it is relatively rare to experience anything nasty. Your body really is a wonderful machine that can handle a lot. I've been on Mtx for a couple of years now, and I am in great health. It hasn't affected my immune system, or as my rheumy told me, the body seems to compensate for the dampening immune effects of Mtx.

I also take anti-inflammatories ( started on Arcoxia but now on Naprosyn as Arcoxia gave me heart palpitations) and have also taken Nortriptyline ( small dose) for the pain. The latter is fantastic - helps you sleep, and dampens down the daytime pain.

Mtx has gradually knocked back the PA. I have it in every joint, muscle and tendon, everywhere in my body. But I currently have little pain anywhere, and that is a major improvement from severely painful hips, ribs, spine, etc. I can walk, even run a few steps, swim, etc.

It appears that Mtx works the best when in conjunction with another DMARD ( disease modifying drug) or TNF ( TNF inhibitor, like Enbrel). My rheumy has experimented with combining it with Plaquenil, and that has made a huge improvement. I am usually in agony throughout winter, but this winter have been as good as I'd be in summer, apparently because of the added Plaquenil. If that combo doesn't work, Mtx and Enbrel is proving very successful for many people.

It's important to have your monthly blood tests, and they DO provide peace of mind. They catch anything going on with your liver or kidneys, and the drugs can be stopped ( so no permanent damage occurs). It's also important to take the folic acid. For me the best regime is Mtx split over 2 days ( Saturday/ Sunday) and 0.8mg Folic acid taken every day.

I hope this has helped. Living with PA is not easy, but with support from other sufferers, it is bearable.

Cheers
    Lesley

Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #21
    mcjonval
    (female)

mcjonval HB User
    Thumbs up Re: psoriatic arthritis: Help!

Hello kscott13.Yes please let us know how that med is working for you,Ok?(everyone) My hubby went for the Blood work today but we don't have them back yet. The pryor one was good. I pray the next one is too. He has read all the latest posts and was encouraged that people care and understand. I am too. Thanks everyone. I check pretty often to see if any one has had any thing to add or to say. I am THANKFUL for all of you who take the time to write. That is great! Also, We have been recently filling out forms for some help since he is unable to work for now. They say his chance is good and that takes pressure off us both. Waiting to hear from you all again. mcjonval

Old 08-12-2006, 03:37 AM   #22
    kscott13
    (male)

kscott13 HB User

Mcjonval,

It still sounds like you and your husband are pretty apprehensive about the MTX, so was I. It helped for me to know that my Rheumatologist's Nurse practitioner has been on it (on and off) for 26 years. She was diagnosed with juvenile RA when she was a child. I noticed also that you said your husband has been experiencing itching on his forearms, I have experienced this before when I am taking pain meds. (Maybe, just a thought.) I heat up really badly too (My wife calls me the human heater) it doesn't cause me too much discomfort luckily. Your husband is currently in TB therapy, are they prepping him in case they want to try Enbrel. Just curious, because my Rheumy told me they would have to put me on TB meds if they wanted to try that medication. I just took my last injection and am crossing my fingers. I'm currently feeling a little better than even a short while ago so I hope. I've found that if i can get up and take a short walk when I'm having trouble that it can help to loosen my joints up and decrease the pain somewhat. Sometimes this is very hard though. I've done a lot of research into the medications, symptoms and relief of PA. So if I can help info wize I'd be happy to. Hope things start looking up for you guys!

kscott13

Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #23
    mcjonval
    (female)

mcjonval HB User

Hi Kscott13. Glad to hear from you and your input on things. My husband says that the embrel does not pass through the liver, according to the Doctor. He said that if he was not taking those TB meds, then he could take the Embrel. He only takes them BECAUSE he is on MTX. He also says that he is getting confused about all the terms and names and things. The PA also causes a fogginess and he says he can't always remember. He has also been feeling a little dizzy as well. He is thinking about taking Embrel, but giving time for the MTX to work. Prayerfully soon. I know he is hurting, but I hurt too. because he is. Does your wife feel that way also? Ok, talk again soon. Thank You, mcjonval ps Hi everyone.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #24
    kscott13
    (male)

kscott13 HB User

Mcjonval,
    I asked about the possibility of your husband taking Enbrel because my Rheumy says it is generally more affective with PA and so far also safer. My Pharmacist actually suggested that I look into it. It seems to be working Quickly for me all my joints feel like their improving except rt. knee, but that one is badly damaged. Yes, my wife does feel a lot of pain and sadness because of my problems. I recently called in to work to comfort her when I had returned from my Rheumy's office and he wanted to step up my MTX and was concerned at how quickly my index and middle fingers are twisting. She burst into tears that night. Often I don't think about how something like this affects her, because I'm so preoccupied with pain. (Never thought I'd be worried about these kinds of serious health issues at 29 yrs.) Hopefully the Enbrel will work and continue to work, I got so excited when the MTX started to help, but it caused me nausea and vomiting and started to plane out. Pharmacist said some peoples bodies adjust and lower the number of receptors MTX can attach to. Also if your husband ever gets the nausea vomiting or other side effects tell him to call and tell the Rheumy they can up the Folic Acid this helped me. I hope your husband finds a workable therapy for himself, I understand how you two feel. Well, God Bless Gotta go!

Kscott13

Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #25
    mcjonval
    (female)

mcjonval HB User
    Smile Re: psoriatic arthritis: Help!

Hi Kscott13! Sorry it has taken a while to answer you. I have been a little busy. Yes, you are quite young for all that. My husband is older but still it is a hard thing to deal with. I do understand your wifes crying too. I also understand the preoccupation with pain. It happens here too. I think when your in constant pain it IS hard to think of others around you. Hard to focus on much else i would think. Unfortunatly it is also HARD on those that around around and loving the ones who are suffering. My hubby also had to stop taking the pain killer that he did take because the headaches were too bad. He thinks the MTX is starting to work and his BW is still good so he is gonna continue taking it for now. Once in a while he takes the flexeral. It helps the muscles relax so he can sleep better. He is frustrated to tears some times too. Also we went to North Park near where we live and it has ducks, geese ,and water w/3000 aches of property to explore. We walked a bit and saw some cool things. Good exersize! Anyways. Let us know how you are doing and if your rt knee is getting any better. Also let us know how your wife is too. God Bless You both! mcjonval

Old 09-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #26
    kscott13
    (male)

kscott13 HB User

Hello mcjonval,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. The swellings gone down in my rt. knee, but it still hurts me a lot, I think it's just gonna be that way. I had injection site reactions the last 2 times I took the Enbrel, not bad though still seems to be working. I'm very excited. I'm also in line for a promotion at work that will make my job a little less demanding physically, so I'm crossing my fingers. Let me know how your husband is feeling. Glad to hear you were out and active especially since the goal for all of us is the pursuit of a more normal pain free life.

God bless
    kscott13

Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #27
    mcjonval
    (female)

mcjonval HB User

Hello Kscott13! It was good to hear from you. Glad to hear that you are staying with things and that they are working. Also the thing about your work is good. And it is important too. My husband is still not well. Yesterday was really bad for him. He said that he felt like he did at the start...before the MTX. He is now taking 10 pills each Monday at the 2.5mg. He was told that it was at the top of the dose. also that she(Rhumey) might after the next week and next blood test...start him on embrel. Nothing is for sure right now. He said he felt like he had the flu and it is keeping him in bed a little. He has a hard time sleeping and still in pain. it is also causeing him to feel a little depressed. ( I do remind him not to think of only that, but its hard not too Im sure) We have tried to get some exersize a little but not having much success at that. Walks seemed like they were helping when we were able to do them. Its always encouraging to be able to go and see something BEATIFUL to help get your mind OFF the stuff you all go through. That too helps you to feel a little more like your still normal. The Mayor of our city just died, and it was from tumors in the brain and they were treating him with MTX. Lots of it. That is really sad for all espeacially family and hard to see especially if you are on a high dose of that. Any encouragement for him is MUCH apreciated. Thank You for caring! God Bless You, Always, mcjonval

Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #28
    kscott13
    (male)

kscott13 HB User

Mcjonval,
    Just wanted to write back. Sorry to hear about your husband, sounds almost exactly how things progressed for me. I would suggest that your husband does pursue the Enbrel if at all possible. From what my Rheumy said any higher of a dose of MTX above and beyond 25mg once weekly is too toxic and in studies doesn't yield good enough results to justify continuing. I am still not perfect and never expect to be but I chased my 2 year old son around the house all weekend long, something I never felt like doing or felt well after doing before I started the Enbrel. I have had three injection site reactions but see it as a small price to pay for feeling normal again. Flare ups make me feel sick too like I have a fever, and pain is extreme last one was happening when I started the Enbrel, haven't had anything like it since. I hope this helps, and I hope your husbands Rheumy helps you get a hold on his disorder. Please tell your husband that I feel his pain and it can get better. Let me know how he's doing and you as well.

Kscott13

Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #29
    mcjonval
    (female)

mcjonval HB User

Hello Kscott13. Yes it did help to hear thet from you. thank You. My hubby will have blood work on the 11th and won't see the rhumey unil the 27th. We will let you know what she decides then. If this Doctor does not work out for us then we will find another one that does. She is not a bad Doctor though. The strange thing that she did is when she FIRST wrote the scrip for MTX, she wrote on it that he should take 3 pills everyday for 7 days and then 4 everyday for seven,,,or something like that, At first I was saying to him that he had it a week already and had not started it, I was getting frustrated. He then after a week called the nurse to talk more about taking it and she told him Don't take it like that. It was written wrong! I thank God for him not taking it until it was the right way to do it. That could of killed him. That is so dangerouse for people who do not know the difference and are just trusting the rhumy to be right. Ok, thought this would be good for all to read and to always check their scrips. Talk again when there is new info. Hubby says Hello and to hang in there. He too knows what you are going through. Tell your wife hello also. mcjonval

Old 09-16-2006, 01:25 AM   #30
    kscott13
    (male)

kscott13 HB User

Hi Mcjonval,

Just thought I'd share my latest news with you. Had an appointment with my Rheumy on the 11th and the news was great. He believes the Enbrel has done wonders, joint swelling is way down from last examination. He said he's glad we found a good medication for me as he expected that I would be disabled within the next five years and unable to work considering how badly my joint damage was progressing. He also said that I can expect the Enbrel to give me more benefit as it typically peaks in effectiveness at about 6 months. This medication has been a miracle so far for me. I finally have hope to live a normal life. How are you and your husband doing, I hope as well as can be under the circumstances. Any new news. Tell him to hang in there as well, they will find something that will work for him. I remember feeling so depressed and ill when I was taking MTX especially when I had a brief period of relief and then it seemed to stop working. I thought that I would always be in such bad pain, that I was the one patient that wouldn't respond to any of the medications. I felt hopeless. But now I know that things can change for the better, and I'm sure they will for him too. My wife also says Hi! Take care, and God bless.

Kscott13

Closed Thread