It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• connective tissue disease & RA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
    connective tissue disease & RA

My mom is 83 and she is being tested for connective tissue disease. Her doctor said she might have carpal tunnel -- which I have. What is the connection between RA and connective tissue disease? I'm trying to understand all this. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
    teachergirl64
    Veteran
    (female)

teachergirl64 HB User
    Re: connective tissue disease & RA

RA is a connective tissue disease but it is not the only one. Lupus (SLE) and Sjogren's Syndrome are also connective tissue diseases. The symptoms(fatigue, low grade fever, hair loss, joint pain are common to all connective tissue disease; sun sensitivity/rashes also are symptoms of SLE) are similar to one another and at times will overlap if there is more than one thing going on. They are diagnosed after a thorough medical exam/history taken and lots of bloodwork. Carpal tunnel can be a part of RA but it can also occur independently. If your mom has symptoms of connective tissue disease, it's good that she is getting checked. Her primary doctor will run the initial tests and if they indicate a problem, she will be referred on to a rheumatologist.

Closed Thread