It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Prednisone alternatives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
    K2mom
    (female)

K2mom HB User
    Prednisone alternatives

Hello. This is my first post. I've been suffering from RA and Lupus since my daughter was born 5 years ago. After a 2 year diagnosis process, and a journey of treatment options, I am now in one of the worst flares I've ever had. My joints are starting to swell quite visibly to the point of looking a little ugly. My wrist joints, foot, ankle, and knees are all very inflammed, as is my right hip at the moment. The pain is also as bad as it's been. I'm currently on Enbrel, Methotrexate and Plaquenil as well as low dose of Prenisone. My concern is that I'm going to have to go up to high doses of prednisone again. After 3 years of high doses I've finally mananged to get down to a low dose and was doing okay for about 6 months, now with the amount of inflammation the best option is increasing Prednisone for immediate results. At doctor's suggestion I did increase significantly for 5 days as a trial, and then reduced again, in order to avoid all the negative side effects. By day 3 felt much better, and since going back down after 5 days, have been sick, sick, sick. SO I know the Prednisone helps, it always has...it seems to be the only treatment that reduces my inflammation. BUT I hate the water retention, puffy face, moodiness etc, and am getting depressed just thinking about looking like a blimp again. ARE there any alternatives to Prednisone? Or ways of reducing the side effects associated with the higher doses? THANKS for taking time to read.

The following user gives a hug of support to K2mom:
    dlawson (05-10-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
    rennah77
    (female)

rennah77 HB User
    Re: Prednisone alternatives

How long have you been on the Enbrel, Methotrexate and Plaquenill? I know they can sometimes take a while to kick in.

I have been on Humira (self injections) now for about 3 months and it has enabled me to get off of Methotrexate and Prednisone completely. I was on Prednisone for almost 2 years with the increasing and decreasing dosages. Like you, it seemed like it was the only thing that was helping. I desperately wanted to get off of the Prednisone due to the side effects. I have finally found something that is working for me. No pain meds, I am back to an active life, able to exercise, and feel among the living again.

Hang in there and keep working with your doctor to find the right combination that works for you.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
    K2mom
    (female)

K2mom HB User
    Re: Prednisone alternatives

Thanks for your feedback. I have been on Prednisone for 4 years, ups and downs, did well on high doses, but was miserable with side effects. Recently decreased to low doses but have been very sick. I've been on Enbrel and Methotrexate over a year. I have heard good things about Humira, Although I find what works for one person, may or may not work for the next. I'm definitely talking with rheumatologist about some new alternatives though and I will ask about it.
    THANKS

Closed Thread