It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Swelling in foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Re: Swelling in foot

They stick a needle into a swollen joint, take fluid out, and send it for testing. If the WBC is elevated it could be from inflammation or even infection. Let me tell you, it hurts bad when they stick that needle in there. It also killed when I got cortisone injections into swollen joints. Maybe you can ask your doc if they can take a fluid sample to see if it tells them anything...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #17
    luvthemountains

luvthemountains HB User

but you said that you had really bad pain with your swelling along with redness? Was that constantly? I don't have anything but the swelling. My leg and foot start to get that tired feeling when I'm on my feet for so long, but, other than that, it's all I really have. My shin does get tender from time to time. I don't know. I'm kind of tired going into a Dr.'s office only to find out that they don't know or they want to send me somewhere else and I STILL have to pay for that visit! I have been told that it can come with age, hormones may be part of it, arthritis, old injury, etc...and with all of these guesses, that doesn't send a clear message on what kind of doc to see. it's only in the one foot though (thank goodness) I have seen soooo many different docs so, I don't know. I just hope it is nothing underlying that is serious ya know?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Luv, yes I did have pain, stiffness and redness with the swelling. It was constant and lasted about a year...then all of a sudden that along with my other symptoms became less & less until I seemed fine again. But this has happened to me many times over the years and I never even went to a rheumatologist until about 2 or 3 yrs ago when I had insurance again. The older I got, it seemed either it stayed longer or happened more often. My rheumy has since diagnosed me with lupus, fibromyalgia, and spinal osteoarthritis.

I can't see your original post & forgot what sort of tests you've had. Has anyone ever thought of possible blood clot? I dont want to scrare you, I only bring this up b/c I had a roommate (who was only 27 at the time) who had severe foot swelling that progressed up the leg a little. She went to several doctors about it, tried elevating it, ice, heat, all sorts of stuff. All she was told was she should lose weight and that's probably why she's swollen <it figures>. Well, she ended up not being able to breathe one day, went to the ER...and was admitted for 2 blood clots in her lungs and she almost didnt make it. All that swelling in her foot was due to blood clots.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
    luvthemountains

luvthemountains HB User

I have had 3 dopplers done and all said they were fine. I am assuming that's how they check for blood clots. The scarey thing is, I have allergies and asthma so trying to figure at times why I have a hard time breathing can be stressful. Like right now, I just got some news of a family member that went into a coma and the stress has made it hard for me to breathe as stress can trigger asthma...so I've heard, so I don't know what to do at this point. I have had heart tests done everything cleared there, xray upon xray of the foot, chest, and ankle...nothing. so any suggestions at this point are helpful.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #20
    Grana
    (female)

Grana HB User

Thanks Baybreeze! I am so sick of this! Of course on the day of my appointments my foot is not nearly as swollen as normal and sometimes I think the rheumatologist thinks I am making a mountain out of a mole hill! However, I can not tolerate any of the inflammatory agents and he is now prescribing prednisone in high dosage for 2 weeks and then plans to start a chemo plan. I am trying to make up my mind if I want to go that route or not. I am in pain most of the time but to put myself at risk of developing cancer is a bit much to ask with all the cancer within my family history. I just do not know what to do! I go back next week for TB test and then on the 22nd suppose to start this other stuff. Mex? can't spell it and remicade.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #21
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Grana, I hear that! I've had that happen to me before (sometimes it takes so long to get an appt , by the time you get there you're flare up of whatever is gone). Then they always think it's all just "stress related" <bahhhhhhhh>.

I have taken steroids before (oral prednisone for 8 months) and medrol pack (a 6 day, quick tapering dose). For ME, it made me feel normal - no more swelling anywhere, no more joint pains, no more muscle pains, no headaches. I personally had no side effects at all that I knew of. However, many people do...but if you're on it short term, it shouldnt be too bad. I'm wondering why hes' also going to start you on those other potent drugs if he has no clue what is wrong....Just make sure to ask him lots of questions about it! I think the drug you mean is called "Methotrexate"? I've never taken this nor Remicade before....but i know many others on these boards have. Perhaps you can start a new thread regarding these drugs to see what other people's experience with them was?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #22
    Grana
    (female)

Grana HB User

LuvtheMountains- My symptoms have been EXACTLY like yours. No redness of any kind -----just swelling and pain. Nothing showed up on regular xrays or MRI (except inflammation). The bone scan showed abnormal activity in both feet and ankles.

Baybreeze- The reason he has decided to go to the more potent drug is because I am unable to tolerate the inflammatory drugs. I am truly having second thoughts about the whole process and considering going for a second opinion (although I have been to 5 doctors total ) from another rheumatologist. I have appointment with internist before I go back to rheumatologist to discuss the whole thing and I talked to his nurse today and she said that in her opinion my internist would not allow chemo at this point.
    I tell you I am about to go nuts with every doctor having different opinions.

Closed Thread