HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arthritis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/)
-   -   Swelling in foot (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/433604-swelling-foot.html)

Grana 10-01-2006 09:20 PM

Swelling in foot

Since February I have had one of my feet swollen and aching. At first the doctors thought it may be gout but that was ruled out. Next MRI which showed only soft tissue swelling........then indium scan which ruled out infection and then finally a bone scan which shows scattered activity in both feet and ankles. Four doctors have been stumped by this and says it is not really reacting like arthiritis and all my blood levels have been within normal ranges. Now they have sent me to rheumatologist and he is insisting that it could be one of 3 different kinds of arthiritis and has ordered lots of more test. Meanwhile he has prescribed me celebrex (which I am terrified to take and haven't as yet) and elavil to help with pain. Anyone else have anything similar to this happen to them?

teachergirl64 10-02-2006 04:21 PM

Re: Swelling in foot

My left foot and ankle stay swollen -well both feet do but the left is by far the worst. I have both RA and OA in my left ankle so I'm guessing that's part of it. I also have high blood pressure and when I skip my diuretic, the swelling is worse. There are more than 100 types of arthritis so your rheum is right to run more tests.

Grana 10-04-2006 09:13 PM

I also have high blood pressure and just recently put on a diurectic to take as needed however, the internist says the swelling in the foot is not related to the bp meds. I question that theory since it all started after starting the bp meds. I will know more on the 11th. Geez, they ran so many blood test that I could not believe it. I got the bill today from insurance company and it was $1150. and just one of the test was $440 alone. If they do not find out what is wrong soon I will be in the poor house for sure! LOL

luvthemountains 10-06-2006 02:06 PM

I have swelling and have had swelling in my left ankle/foot for over 2 years. No one can figure it out. I have chronic low back pain and a horrible mattress that I sleep on, but, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. How does any type of arthritis get diagnosed and does arthritis really cause swelling? I thought it was just all about pain?

Grana 10-24-2006 10:06 PM

Update- Since all bloodwork came back and shows nothing but inflammation factors being a little high rheumatologist is looking for other reasons. He has now given me naproxen (tummy can not handle it) and had me go take a chest xray to rule out sarcodosis which can cause joint swelling. Talked to nurse today and chest xray was clear so I just wonder what will take place now. This is getting really old and EXPENSIVE! Not only that but both feet are hurting now although the left is for sure the worst with big time swelling. The aching goes all the way up to the knee if I do alot of walking or standing for long periods of time. Quality of life ........this is NOT and I wish they would come to some conclusion as to what it is. Apparently the bone scan looks different than most----Just my luck!

luvthemountains 10-25-2006 05:24 AM

Yep, I sure share your frustration! You would think that if they can physically see something wrong that they would be able to diagnose it. I know that doctors are human (and even some are not) but I have really lost alot of trust for them. All they want to do is treat a symptom instead of getting to the root of the problem. That's how they are trained in the western medicine. My thoughts are, the body is designed to heal itself and although I understand that some meds are really needed, it really throws the body off if one starts pumping so much synthetics in it thus causing many more problems!

My swollen ankle/foot however is another story. I have added to the list of doctors that I have seen and this last one (a vein Dr.) told me to take a water pill! No one knows why we have one or both feet or ankles swell and that just puts me in ahhh because I used to think doctors knew so much but like everything else, it just seems the quality of service deminishes as life goes on. I hope you find an answer soon. Have you had your liver and kidney checked? That's the only other thing I can offer to you. Good luck and keep us posted!

:wave:

Grana 10-25-2006 06:32 PM

My faith in doctors is about 0 at this point. Of course I have another rare condition caused by taking antibiotics that I have been battling since 2001 for which doctors do not know how to treat if you do not get well by standard treatment. Now this foot thing seems to be a rare thing too and my nerves are shot. I am thinking about becoming a doctor as all they are is educated guessers it seems! LOL Since I am going through EVERYTHING I am growing more and more educated in all phases of "golden year problems". I am now 56 and since the age of 51 it has been a downhill race. Supposedly to be so ill I am in wonderful condition (blood-wise!). My doctor laughed when he said you are my most well sick person...........He might have thought that to be funny but actually I felt like choking him! LOL

luvthemountains 10-25-2006 07:47 PM

Doctors will do anything to shrugg off ignorance!:mad:

Dancingirl 11-02-2006 07:16 AM

Hi. My feet swell up alot and my rheumy says its tendinitis. And is also caused because of my dance classes. I sometimes have 3 dance classes back to back. There are certain things you can do to bring the inflammation down. When you lie down on your sofa elevate your feet . If you sit in hot water for 10 minutes and then spend 30 minutes walking in the pool, and again sit in the hot water for 10 minutes - it helps alot. Wearing silver anklets help bring the swelling down too. You get cold packs that go round your ankle. That helps too. Massaging them will give you some relief. I always have to take care of my feet cause I am not ready to give up dance. I hope you feel better.

Baybreeze 11-02-2006 01:38 PM

Hi Grana,

I've had problems with my ankles on & off for about 17 years now. I'm 37 and it all started when I was around 20 yrs. old. I developed alot of swelling, stiffness, redness, joint pain in my right ankle and minimally in my left ankle. After several weeks my left ankle also got worse, but my right was terrible. (then it started going into other joints as well, but that's away from the point). I didnt have insurance, but it was so bad that I racked up my credit cards going from foot doctor to foot doctor....I had shots, tens therapy, heat therapy, whirlpool therapy, prescription aleve. I went to the doc every single week and nothing was helping. I had tests done for gout, but that was ruled out. I couldnt afford to have too many tests done, though. All I was ever diagnosed with was "synovitis" but they didnt know why, as I had no injuries or anything. Any tests I did get was all negative. I was also finally told there was nothing else that could be done. I had this for a year straight (plus like i said earlier, it started happening in other joints too)..but then suddenly it all started going away, all on it's own. Over the years, all this would come & go (though it wouldnt always be in all my joints) then I got all kinds of other symptoms.....but never got any diagnosis or relief. But my right ankle, in particular, pretty much always has at least some swelling in it and it's now to the point that it looks like I have 2 ankles & I cant walk with my foot straight anymore. Finally I got insurance and a friend made me go see her rheumatologist (about 2 yrs ago). I had swelling again when I went, fatigue, stiffness, etc....he gave me all sorts of tests and of course they all came back "in normal ranges" again. He did suspect lupus due to me telling him about a rash I got on my face years back & a dermatologist thought I had lupus. But my rheumy had me try Bextra, which started working pretty good, but then he had me stop it when the problems arose in the news. Then i tried relafen, then mobic..and went downhill til I could barely move at all. He finally saw me in such a bad state, he started me on prednisone & plaquenil right away. Over several days to a week....everythign just went away. Even the long standing, stubborn swelling in my right ankle. Every pain I had was gone. Even though my ankle bones look funny, I was able to keep my foot straight when I walked, without pain. I couldnt believe how great I felt.
I'm still on plaquenil (almost 2 yrs) but since ive been off prednisone, my right ankle has a little constant swelling again...and my joints lately are feeling stiffer again. But anyway, I went so many yrs without a definite diagnosis, all but one test (high ana titer) I ever had came back as normal. And it seems this happens to many people...they go a long time, seeing many different doctors, before they a diagnosis or get treatment that works. And from what I've seen others say, just b/c tests are normal, doesnt mean you don't have something. (when I had clear inflammation my tests came back normal too). I know it's tough to deal with, but don't give up. Find another doctor if you have to.

luvthemountains 11-02-2006 02:44 PM

Baybreeze,

What is "Synovitis"? I feel your frustration too. Am I correct in assuming that shoes are a constant issue? What kind of shoes do you wear? I wear mostly crocs and they seem to be good, but there are days that I want to wear nice shoes.

Baybreeze 11-02-2006 03:11 PM

Hi ,

From what i've read, synovitis is inflammation and thickening of the lining of the joints, which causes pain and swelling. ( I guess it can happen in any joint). Usually caused by some kind of arthritis or injury. I guess the biggest problem & frustration is finding what kind of arthritis it is...

And yes, shoes are a HUGE issue for me. The only time they werent was when I was younger or when I took meds that got rid of all the inflammation. When I have no pain or inflammation, I can usually wear what I like (sandals, heels, boots, etc.. and believe me, I have a zillion shoes <LOL>) but now, for the most part, I am stuck wearing my wide sized sneakers every day anddd of course that also limits what clothes I can wear <UGHHHHHH>. I wish I could wear my nice shoes or cute shoes but all they've been doing lately is collecting dust. Plus when I limp, I dont want to risk falling or something due to unstable ankles. So I definitely feel your frustration!

luvthemountains 11-03-2006 07:25 AM

How is "Synovitis" diagnosed? I had am MRI of the foot, a zillion doctors have looked at it and no one can figure it out? I would think that Synovitis would be somewhat easy since inflamation is visable as well as MRI's. Here's basically what they said about my foot/ankel...they said that I have degenerative changes within the first meatarsophalangeal (long word) joint w/o evidense of Sesamoiditis but I do have Intermetatarsal Bursitis (whatever that means) and I also have fluid in the intermetatarsal bursae of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd interspaces. What does that all mean....don't have a clue and apparently the doctors don't either!

You know what if something is major wrong here because of this swelling and no one can figure that out? I have had this almost 4 years and still no answers! I know when I sit at the computer after awhile, my foot will start to tingle and go to sleep, but I had 3 dopplers done and all 3 came out fine so, supposedly I don't have a vein problem ie:circulation, so I don't know. Everyone just keeps telling me to take a water pill and don't worry about it and I'm thinking....this has been going on for so long which means something is definately not right! I can't wear my cute shoes either and I can't even find out why.:confused:

Baybreeze 11-03-2006 07:57 AM

I know the doc can take a sample of the fluid around the joint & send for testing. I think with synovitis, white blood cells accumlate in the synovium around the joint & causes painful inflammation, redness, stiffness. It can happen because of inflammatory disease, injury, & sometimes they don't know why. Back when mine first started, the doc never asked if i was having any other symptoms, nor mentioned possibility of inflammatory disease. But then again, maybe he didnt bother b/c I couldnt afford the tons of tests and bloodwork that would have needed to be done...Only one doc I saw, a dermatologist, asked me in depth about other symptoms I had (i had gone there because I got a weird red, raised rash across my cheeks & nose and on my forearms...and he suspected lupus)

luvthemountains 11-03-2006 08:38 AM

when you say that there is white blood cell accumulation, would that make the wbc show up high or low on a normal blood test/cbc? That's interesting about what you say because non of the MANY docss that I have seen have ever asked to take any fluid sample.