It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Methotrexate Useage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
    Grana
    (female)

Grana HB User
    Methotrexate Useage

My doctor is fixing to start me on methotrexate for reactive arthiritis and I am wondering about other people's experiences with this drug. I have not been able to tolerate the inflammatory agents and worry this will be even worse. Also I would like to know at what point in treatment was the methotrexate introduced---in that what else was tried prior to using it? He tells me all I will have to do is take 4 pills per week. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
    Deeder
    (female)

Deeder HB User
    Re: Methotrexate Useage

Hi Grana, I take methotrexate and have been for 2yrs. It was the first drug he put me on and I take 10 pills a week. I didnt think they were doing any good until he lowered my dosage and I noticed a difference in about a week so he raised the dose back to the original its a pretty slow acting med but after 2yrs and still not getting good results from it the Dr. added Hydroxychloride. The methotrexate will make your hair fall out, my hair was in and on everything so make sure he gives you folic acid to help with that. This med will also cause mouth sores as well as sores in your nose, those didnt bother me as much as my hair did though, it got so thin you could use infant barettes in it but now it is back and fuller than before this all stated. hope this helps some good luck and take care

DeeDee

Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Grana,

I was on Methotrexate for about 4 - 6 mo. I had to get off because I was having a hysterectomy. And am now off for a good while, because I have a skin problem, with sores on many parts of my body. Am going to a dermatologist for the sores. The Methotrexate was just starting to work, when I had to give it up. This was probably about my 3rd med, my rheumy dr. likes to start off with the lowest you can stand (meds) and then go up. I wish I could be on it again. No side effects and I think that I was at 6 pills.

I do and did take tramadol and skelaxin and prednisone and nabumetone. I cannot take most anti-inflammatory meds. That is because of my stomach.

Right now, I am on the same pills, except a new one, we are trying called: sulfa_________ (cannot remember the name). They are huge and I take 3 pills 2 x day. I must eat when I take most of my pills. This med is safe for pregnant women. Hopefully I will get to eventually try the methotrexate again!

Hope it works for you. But give it months.

Wannabe

Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
    Megan :D
    (female)

Megan :D HB User
    Cool Re: Methotrexate Useage

Hey Grana

I'm 16, and have just started a course of Methatrexate. I have juvenile idiopathic arth in my neck jaw knees elbows hipa and shoulders. My doctor says it could be for a minimum of 3 years, i started 2 weeks ago. I was really worried about it because i heard lots about side effects, but apparently they only affect 1 in 10. So far ive had nothing (luckily). I think the worst it gets is mouth ulcers and hair thinning.

I was on naproxyn before that, and before that it was dicloflex or something :s i also do lots of hydrotherapy- maybe try exercising/ stretching in the bath? it always hurts me less.

So far, methatrexate has been good. It takes ages to work, my doc said, and ive been told to have a folic acid suppliment. every 2 weeks they are upping the dose a bit until it builds up enough. I think 15mg is going to be my max.

I hope it all goes well for you, remember that its not only you that suffers!!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
    Grana
    (female)

Grana HB User

They are starting me on a prednisone tomorrow and I have NEVER taken it at such a dosage. Starting me out at 8 per day for 2 days , then 7 per day for 2 days etc etc..............How much prednisone have they given you in the beginning of therapy? This is to be done prior to taking the methotrexate.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
    Deeder
    (female)

Deeder HB User

I also went the rounds with steroids to get the inflamation down then the meth to keep it there. However I didnt see the point in it since metho is such a slow acting drug the the steroids are well wore off before the other starts working.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
    Megan :D
    (female)

Megan :D HB User

awww, deeder, dont say that!!!!! i has a steriod injection, high dose, last week. it wore off after 2 days but was hoping that it would kick in again...
    methatrexate has to build up slowly, my doc says, because its quite a nasty drug. on friday i go up a level to 10mg a week, thats 4 tabs. i have to get up to 8, then take it for min, 3 years. fun fun fun...

i have never had prednisone though... i have naproxyn and this stuff dicloflex (i think) and it wasnt that much fun. hate having so many damn pills!!!!! arthritis is not a cool thing when youre 16... so annoying when people give you that look and go 'isnt that what OLD people get?' grrr... if i had a pound for every time someone aid that to me...

... id have something like 46 pounds

bye for now xxx

Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
    Grana
    (female)

Grana HB User

Has anyone experienced swelling reducing with the prednisone but aching still staying around? My doctor thinks this is crazy and wants to start the methotrexate next week. In all the reading and risk of methotrexate......I am scared to death! Has anyone developed severe diarrhea with the methotrexate? Infections?

Old 11-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
    jackcc
    (male)

jackcc HB User

Had severe arthritis. Couldn't make a fist. Hurt to use hands and hurt all over. After Vioxx, went on to Methotrexate. Loved that medicine. I didn't hurt at all. It was wonderful. One day, I suddenly couldn't breath. Dyspensa. Had a lung biopsy and a really bad time. Of course we stopped the Methotrexate because it could have caused the shortness of breath. Thought I was going to die. Survived that and now use Sulfazine. Its OK but not perfect. But the best meds are no longer available. I helped myself by using Glucosamine with MSM. About 2500mg a day. Am able to use my hands OK and the pain is gone. I use Sulfazine , MSM and Glucosamine. Works for me. Good luck with finding your solution.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
    kateecu
    (female)

kateecu HB User

I just started taking it and it works great! the only thing is you cant drink !!! so i am wondering if there is any other medication i can switch that will work the same!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

As you can see by the dates, this is an old thread so the people who started it may not be around any more. So I'll throw in my 2cents.

I've been on MTX for 5 years and my doc never told me not to drink but then again, I usually don't drink. I have an occasional drink but that is all. MTX is hard on the stomach and can increase bleeding so I imagine if your doc said no drinking, it's because of the possibility of developing ulcers and other problems that can cause bleeding. And the thinning of the blood by MTX makes you much more liable to have a serious or fatal bleed.

There are other drugs but MTX works so well that you might just want to give up the alcohol and be the designated driver. And I wouldn't be surprised if the other drugs don't have the same prohibition. Maybe biologics don't have the prohibition of alcohol...you could ask about those. What kind of arthritis do you have ....RA?

Jenny

Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
    kateecu
    (female)

kateecu HB User

I dont have RA--its is 2 joints that have fuild in them...left thumb and right knee! its really weird! i have been on prednisone and it worked but as soon as i stopped taking it the fluid came back. they told me not to drink because the MTX is broken down by the liver. I am getting married soon and have lots of fun stuff coming up so its a bummer I cant have some drinks

Closed Thread