It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Teens With Arthritis!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
    Megan :D
    (female)

Megan :D HB User
    Exclamation Teens With Arthritis!!!

Um, i was just wondering if there is anyone around my age (16) with arthritis? It gets me down that i have nobody to compare notes with... i have it in the neck, jaw, elbows, hands, hips, knees and shoulder. Would make my day if someone posts!!

Megan xxxx

Last edited by HBMod07; 12-05-2006 at 03:44 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Megan :D
    ASTeenJIA (07-17-2011),RheumatoidTeen (12-09-2010)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Megan :D For This Useful Post:
    tyte (04-21-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
    nanna_T
    (female)

nanna_T HB User
    Re: Teens With Arthritis!!!

Hi Megan, I'm not a teenager, but I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis when I was in my teens. I had suffered joint pain since I was quite small. Now that I am middle-aged, I have a lot of pain and problems with my joints as there is not much left of some of them, especially my knees. I have a good Chiropractor that keeps me as mobile as possible.
    Best wishes to you, I hope you have a good health practitioner that keeps you as healthy and pain free as possible.

nanna_T

Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
    Rikkumajere
    (female)

Rikkumajere HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megan :D
    Um, i was just wondering if there is anyone around my age (16) with arthritis? It gets me down that i have nobody to compare notes with... i have it in the neck, jaw, elbows, hands, hips, knees and shoulder. Would make my day if someone posts!!

Megan xxxx
    Hey Megan!

I am 19 and I developed severe arthritis last october. I'm living on my own so it was so hard to make it those first few months. Its in many many places, and I'm already now collecting disability benefits because I can't work. It sucks, and I know how you're feeling. Don't let it get you down. There are lots of people our age that have unfortunately developed arthritis. Good thing is the faster you go get treatment, the more likely it is that we can recover, well thats what my doc said anyways.

Well good luck and don't worry. I'm gonna beat this and so can you.

Josie

Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
    Jezirae
    (female)

Jezirae HB User

Heyyy-

I seen where you posted on mine- thank you. Anyways, I still have not gone to the doctor, my mom says i just need to exercise, which i wont, it hurts. i absolutely hate it, there are days where i do not want to get up out of bed cuz the pain is so bad.
    well, mom got me a bunch of pills to try, unfortunately, they ALL make me sick. or else my appendix is bursting, i dont know which it is. she got me some tylenol especially for arthritis- these joint lubricating pills that she got from one of those health store places- and something else. but they all make me dizzy and sick to my stomach.
    what do you take to feel better? your help is greatly appreciated!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jezirae:
    tyte (04-21-2011)
    Old 12-21-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
    (female)

Hi, Jezirae

Honestly, if theres anything useful i can say to you, GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!! He can diagnose you properly, get the ball rolling and get you on proper medication. Ive tried various pills and potions, none of which really touch the pain. But the doc gave me methatrexate, which is really strong painkiller, and its really great. it still hurts, but not nearly as much and there's the added bonus of walking like a real human!!!

Exercise still hurts me too; try swimming. Virtually all your body weight goes and no pressure is put on the joints so you can move more and hurt less. Even in the bath, bend and stretch all the ones that hurt.

But please, find a doctor and go see them; otherwise youll be stuck in a rut, and it could get worse, not better.

Thanks for posting!!!

Megan xxxx

Old 12-21-2006, 03:52 AM   #6
    LampAway
    (female)

LampAway HB User

Methatrexate is not a pain killer. The decrease in pain you were feeling may have been due to an anti-inflamatory drug. When Methqatrexate is used for arthritis it's intention/usage is to slow the progression of the deteration of the joints. FYI it is also used as Chemo for cancer patients.

Cortizone shots - painfull while getting them and for a few hours after, help with the padding between the joints and can provide months of painless movement.

You should ask your doctor if they could be helpfull in your case.

Your very young, so get a doctor and stay on top of the treatment plan.

Do Not ignore it.

Last edited by LampAway; 12-21-2006 at 03:55 AM.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
    Jezirae
    (female)

Jezirae HB User

hmmm, thanks for all the advice. About a year ago, i was having some major problems with my one knee. so mom surprisingly took me to the doctor and i got some xrays. BUT i never told them that i think i may have arthritis.they said everything looked fine. sooo i dont know whats wrong with me. i need to do something now though- i graduate in may and there goes my health insurance. but thanks for everything guys, its nice to talk to someone about all this. my mom just thinks im a baby, definitely not....

Last edited by Jezirae; 12-21-2006 at 06:23 AM.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
    (female)

True about mtx; but it kills most of the pain for me!! my doc said it was a disease limitating drug so it limits the damage the arthritis does. also i did know about it being used for cancer; but my dose is pretty low compared to how much cancer patients take; im on 15mg a week.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
    tattman
    (male)

tattman HB User

This is the reason why we donate money to junior arthritis so they can find a cure. I'm living with it and I know it has to be twice as hard for you young one as it would be stopping you from enjoying your childhood. I really hope that one day they find a cure for it but that is no comfort to you. So I just hope you can get days where the pain is just that little bit less so you can have some fun.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
    maelia
    (female)

maelia HB User

hey i know how you feel i hav anoklysing spondalitis (arthritis in spine) i am 17 and live in new zealand. I hate arthritis pain is so bad but its not killing you so hardly anyone cares people just say oh my grandma has that, and im like its not the same its horrible hardly anyone understands aye. im hoping the pain will get better from amelia

Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
    maelia
    (female)

maelia HB User

aww thats really sweet, but all the money we donate never seems to be enough to actually do anything about it, im really sore today

Old 01-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
    mira300997
    (female)

mira300997 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megan :D

Megan xxxx
    Hi Megan,

Yes, teens do get arthritis. Have you seen your doctor for the pains? What was his diagnose? From your symptoms, I thought you probably suffer from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
    (female)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

Hey Mira, Yeah, I've been diagnosed and everything, (idiopathic rheumatoid) on methatrexate, naproxyn and taking folic acid. also had a steriod injection, and none of it seems to be working as well as it did... been on meth for 12 weeks, so it should have worked by now. i was told its like a miracle cure thingy, and it has reduced the swelling and i have more mobilioty, but it still hurts like hell!!!!!

So how does everyone deal with school? it bugs me right off that when i say arthritis people say Omg, dont old people get that..? and im a bit sick of having to explain the difference between osteo and rheumatoid to people who dont realy care anyway...

Gah!!!

Hope everybody's ok!!!!!
    Megan xxxx

Last edited by Megan :D; 01-14-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #14
    Kelen
    (female)

Kelen HB User

Well, I'm not a teen anymore... I'm 20 (I'm getting old! Wah!) but I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis when I was 17... it's hard to believe that was closer to three years ago now!

I remember when it happened because for a few weeks I had a little pain while walking, and then BAM, one day I got up like a normal person would and I almost fell over in pain. After that for a solid two months I was so inflamed that I couldn't walk or do anything else without screaming in pain... I couldn't leave the house, let alone get dressed or have a shower (Lift my leg over the bath tub without falling over? Standing up for 5 minutes at a time? You must be insane! )... it's strange how imprinted those memories are in my brain. Why can't happy memories be the ones I remember?!

A few times in high school, I'd just lay on the floor. Hah... I successfully failed two classes because of arthritis and my lack of attendance for two months -- they say, I should've come in a wheel chair, but even that, minus the idea of me being far too embarrassed about coming to school in such a thing, would've still been impossible with the amount of pain I was in. The first time I saw some of my family members, they were like "Wow.. you really can't move!" as I was attempting to bend down and take off my shoes. Gee, thanks, I noticed that. One family member couldn't fathom the idea that it's a condition that can't go away with the right regiment of exercise or diet -- because hey, it worked for their back problems. People thought I had dropped out and other people didn't believe I had arthritus, they just thought I was making up excueses. One teacher was so inconsiderate that on my first day back to school she keep moving me around to different seats... I missed a least another week of school after that because I was trying to walk longer more in one day then I'd walked in the last two months combined... and God, it hurts having to try and continually walk at an acceptably normal speed.

It's come and gone to different degrees with me being hardly able to walk/stand about 10 times since then, and lots of other times when it hurts a lot to walk, but I can still mange walking somewhat normally. Every few months I seem to get inflamed, but for closer the last 6 months I've hardly had any noticeable pain at all... could it be I almost feel like a normal person?! So they'll be good day, weeks, months... and bad. Take the good with the bad like they say. It's made me more greatful for little things. At least we know how to treasure the times when we're able to move, huh? That's not something a lot of young people can comprehend.

The one thing that irritates me most is when I am having problems and you likely can tell I'm not walking well, I might just come down on my leg wrong, or something, and I'll let out a yelp of pain. Then someone goes: What is it?! Does your back hurt? Sometimes I feel like tearing them apart! I've heard that way too much the last three years. Aside from the fact that it technically isn't my back that's in pain, I mean, "No! I got something in my eye! Why else would I let out a sudden cry?!" ... Hearing people sounding surprised and asking what's wrong really starts to get to me after a while, espially since I'm in momentary immense pain when they're asking. I know they're just concerned but I think I'd like it more for them to ignore it because it passes quickly enough and I continue on walking. They know I'm in pain, do they need to quiz me on it? If that makes sense. Maybe it's just I don't want their sympathy?

Last edited by Kelen; 01-15-2007 at 04:10 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
    (female)

Hey Kelen

Woah, i get you with the annoying concerned people!!! I think if i have to explain to one more teacher why i'm using the school lift, or why ive suddenly gone the colour of porridge, i might just have to tape a poster to my face that says "don't ask; i have ARTHRITIS!!" and you get the sad looks and "i'm so sorry" and "oh that sucks"... i'm not going for the sympathy vote!!!!!

I know what you mean about being almost grateful for a good day. It feels great to just be able to walk to the bus stop without experiencing some sort of pain... although, truth be told, it doesn't happen that often...

Plus i had hydrothearpy today, and couldn't even brush my hair out afterwards because my shoulders playing up... and my back KILLS, but the physio thinks its to do with how ive changed the way i walk to make my knees hurt less... blah...

Lots of love!!!
    Megan xxxx

Last edited by Megan :D; 01-16-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Closed Thread