It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Got MRI Results of Neck

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
valentine92
(female)

valentine92 HB User
Got MRI Results of Neck

My dr finally sent me for an MRI last week and his nurse called me today.

She said I have mild disk degeneration and lose of stature at C4-C6 and a bulge at C5-C6. She said the dr looked it over and said what I have is "normal" and is not what is causing me my neck pain. He said to continue taking the naproxen 500 mg 2 times a day as well as flexril at bedtime.

Is mild disk degeneration normal for someone who is 40 years old? Does disk degeneration cause stiffness and pain?

I know I am not imagining the pain, it can be very painful and debilitating at times. The pain I get starts in my neck and radiates up into my jaw and head as well as across the back of my shoulders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
aether4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: Got MRI Results of Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine92 View Post
Is mild disk degeneration normal for someone who is 40 years old? Does disk degeneration cause stiffness and pain?
Yes, it can be normal for someone your age. It's generally considered part of 'aging'. It can cause stiffness - it does in my lower back and neck. Pain is a funny thing though, each person experiences it a little differently and in different places -even if their scans may look the same as someone else's.
Since you're feeling pain you probably do have some compressed nerves.

Does the medicine help at all? And do you feel like this doctor is actually helping you? If not, try another. You need someone who's going to proactive in your care.
If you haven't done so already -try looking in the back problems section, plenty of the posters there have DDD and may be more helpful.

Closed Thread